Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Winter Bike Projects

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Winter Bike Projects

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-15, 09:18 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
Have been working out the details with Velocals to get my custom decals made for this RobbieTune-wannabemobile. (1987 Centurion Ironman Expert.)

Motorcycled all the way up to Salt Lake for the frame and bought it from its mal-fitting owner.

I don't have room for any more bikes, and I can't part with any of my current bikes, so this is My Last Build Maybe Ever; so not rushing anything, but I do have complete group of Ultegra 6400 Tricolor with brifters still in the boxes. (Even a brand new 6400 Tricolor crankset still in the box from my beloved GF.)

Just waiting on the decals before taking the frame to Cyclart. Not rushing it, just enjoying the process (and my other bikes). Only things left on the list are the Phil Wood bottom bracket and some kind of wheels. Before this bike, I never realized how few non-white bikes I have.

It's an Expert, but I'm having the correct color decals printed with "Master" instead, because I'm building it up with Ultegra.

Now that I've maxxed out on chassises, and I no longer have a geriatric dog to care for, maybe it's time to spend a little time on the engine.
That's a good looking bike. Sounds like a fun project.
Old 10-26-15, 09:24 PM
RobE30
Wherever I may roam....

Bikes: A few bikes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PeregrineA1
This one is on the stand and ready for a grease and cable clean-up. Probably save for my niece.

Then I have to clear this "inventory"...

So I can finish this

And this

....And/or these

So, no shortage of projects. How much gets done remains to be seen. Driven by how much it rains in large part....
I like that Trek!

I have a few things waiting to be gone over, an 84 Trek 620 (finally found one after looking for a few years), 90 (?) Trek 950 (needs grease etc), 90's Ritchey MTB (needs to be uncommunterized) and my late 70's Centurion Semi Pro (some sort of non shimano build). I'm sure some friends bikes will filter in to get some attention as well
Old 10-26-15, 11:04 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by LarryBSky
I recently picked up a nice Raleigh Professional, It's just going to need a good cleaning, cables, tape, brake hoods and pads. Unfortunately, it is one size to small for me.

Nice. The owner of my LBS has one for sale in the size I think you want. It's the color scheme shown in the 1973 catalog though - blue/mink/silver.
Old 10-27-15, 12:50 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,125 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by PeregrineA1
So I can finish this
What's taking so long with the Wizard?! Almost there. Looking great.
Old 10-27-15, 12:55 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,125 Times in 554 Posts
Why the hurry for winter?

I still need new lights before the time change, and I wore shorts and a t-short on my commute today.
Old 10-27-15, 05:11 AM
kunsunoke 
spondylitis.org

Bikes: '84 Colnago Super; '90 Bridgestone MB-1; '81 Trek 930; '01 Cinelli Supercorsa; '62 Ideor Asso; '87 Tommasini Super Prestige; '13 Lynskey R2300; '84 Serotta Nova Special; '94 Litespeed Catalyst; etc.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 63 Posts
Try not to laugh too hard. I picked this up in anticipation of the winter beater competition, whenever it hits. Pic isn't mine - it's courtesy of the previous owner.

So far, it needs paint, a functional chain, bottom bracket set and (probably) a headset. Rear mech pulley wheels were and are frozen.

Fortunately I have a large box of junk to draw from.

Last edited by kunsunoke; 02-18-17 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-27-15, 05:53 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
I sold all my parts and frames in anticipation of moving to a small apartment with no room to work on bikes. I moved to a house with a pretty big shed. I'm dumb.
Old 10-27-15, 06:13 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Question About Steerer Tube Inner Diameter...

Originally Posted by RobE30
I have a few things waiting to be gone over... and my late 70's Centurion Semi Pro...
I just picked up a 1977 Centurion Semi Pro, serial # M7B01548. The steerer tube inner diameter is 22.0mm. !!!

The SR Royal stem is original and it's a 22.0 with center plug type wedge bolt. I was expecting 22.2. Is yours the same?
Old 10-27-15, 06:17 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by Italuminium
I sold all my parts and frames in anticipation of moving to a small apartment with no room to work on bikes. I moved to a house with a pretty big shed. I'm dumb.
I dunno, sounds smart to me. Know you can do N + 1, N + 2, N + 3, etc.
Old 10-27-15, 07:30 AM
PeregrineA1 

Bikes: Wizard, Eisentraut, Paramount, Litton, Turner, Surley, Trek, Kona, Landshark, Hujsak, Masi, Tesch, Holland, Retrotec, Spectrum

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
What's taking so long with the Wizard?! Almost there. Looking great.
Life....I've got all the bits now. Just need to clear the decks a bit and dig in. Thanks.
Old 10-27-15, 07:37 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Build:

'73 Holdsworth Record - blue panels painted last weekend. Silver next. Have to build a front wheel, but have all the components.
'90 Miele Gara - retouch some silver paint when completing the above. The components are all ready.
'74 Italvega Nuovo Record - ready for assembly. Need to build some wheels, and find a suitable post/saddle.
'83 Univega Gran Sport. Recent pick-up. Looks to need a good cleaning & service and that's it.

Sell:

'82 Peugeot PX10, even if I have to use the big site.
Disassemble and sell the '78 Raleigh Professional f&f.
c'88 Guerciotti f&f.
A lot of the components that don't end up on one of the builds above.

Will I ever get to the '72 CNC? Doesn't appear to be up any time soon.
Old 10-27-15, 10:04 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
I really have no control at all. A wife or girlfriend are supposed to keep us from going off the deep end, but mine is coming up short in this department and now I have another project.
She shares the same sickness it turns out, and now we have a frame coming across the country from DC.
On my way to the shower from the rollers this morning I said, "Get up lazybones, we're one day closer to the Lemond getting here!" and despite being asleep, she squealed like a little girl getting her first kitten and jumped out of bed.
So we've got another winter project and we'll have his-n-hers Lemonds at the end of it. Might have to move one of my Schwinns to the garage.

Old 10-27-15, 10:27 AM
Epicus07
Velophile

Bikes: See Signature.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I really have no control at all. A wife or girlfriend are supposed to keep us from going off the deep end, but mine is coming up short in this department and now I have another project.
She shares the same sickness it turns out, and now we have a frame coming across the country from DC.
On my way to the shower from the rollers this morning I said, "Get up lazybones, we're one day closer to the Lemond getting here!" and despite being asleep, she squealed like a little girl getting her first kitten and jumped out of bed.
So we've got another winter project and we'll have his-n-hers Lemonds at the end of it. Might have to move one of my Schwinns to the garage.

You are a VERY lucky man.

If all goes according to plan, I will be picking up an 89 Bianchi Volpe tomorrow and working on that this winter for my wife's touring / commuting project.
Old 10-27-15, 11:21 AM
Velocivixen

Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
I've sold off a lot of bikes and am down to figuring out what I'm going to do with the '87 Miyata One Twelve mixte. Last summer I installed drop bars & original road levers, and honestly while it looked fine it was very uncomfortable. I'm coming to the conclusion that I need to move those downtube shifters up to the handlebars, so am slowly working toward that direction. Added VO Porteur bars last night with original Shimano city bike brake levers and original black "Miyata" labeled plastic/rubber grips.
@gugie is doing some surgical modification of my Raleigh Twenty and so far it's great. Very excited about this. The bike will definitely get a paint job/powder coat.

Ill post photos soon.
Old 10-27-15, 11:29 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
2 right now

84 Super Course needing frame cleaning and wax job. Then the build up with 600 group 'cept the shifters. They have to be a certain type of Shimano... Golden arrow.

2nd is the 85 Marathon SS getting a new Raleigh handle bar, brake levers and white Cotten tape. Stopping will be improved with Kool Stop pads as well. My fendered gentleman's bike for the winter.

Love both these and makes three Raleigh USA bikes so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (98.9 KB, 7 views)
image.jpg (100.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-27-15, 01:48 PM
bikemig 

That frame is is great shape. That will be a fun project to build up.
Old 10-27-15, 03:56 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Winters are long in the northeast, so I don't know how fellow forum members can make do with 1-2 bike projects.

In addition to the ever changing queue of flip candidates, I have projects divided into two divisions.

First major goal is to finish the unfinished project bikes:
  1. Bridgestone RB-1
  2. Motobecane CV-41
  3. Schwinn Prelude 1987 (Pink and White)
  4. Trek 620 - handlebar conversion to native state
  5. Trek 520 - needs everything
  6. Peugeot PKN10 - stuck seatpost
  7. Motobecane Interclub Tandem - remove foam grips and rewrap handlebars.
  8. Retrieve Santana tandem from the LBS, which is removing a seat post broken inside the seat tube, to complete overhaul.

Second major goal of pending projects include:
  1. Build a touring bike for my BFF neighbor in Ann Arbor. She needs a 58cm frame.
  2. Kestrel KM40 overhaul
  3. Klein Stage overhaul
  4. Nobilette overhaul

I bought the pictured below Schwinn Prelude in Palm Beach in August. Besides changing saddle and shorter reach stem, it needs a full overhaul and new consumables. That will be my winter project when I go to visit friends over the winter.

Old 10-27-15, 04:30 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
Winters are long in the northeast,
What's a winter?

Lovely ('85?) Schwinn. Keep us abreast of her progress.
Old 10-27-15, 04:48 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Hmm,

Build up the new to me English frame with an 8 speed campy triple group that I got based on a hot tip in the "looking for one of these" thread.
Rebuild my US made frame that was robbed last minute of its components for my gravel bike (when a brifter asploded)
Build up that Italian frame that's been hanging in the corner
Build the French frame back up with proper period componentry and wheels
Maybe even build up the Japanese frame into a nice utility bike
Ride the snot out of that OT Taiwanese TI snow bike
Old 10-27-15, 06:38 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by oddjob2
Winters are long in the northeast, so I don't know how fellow forum members can make do with 1-2 bike projects.

In addition to the ever changing queue of flip candidates, I have projects divided into two divisions.

First major goal is to finish the unfinished project bikes:
  1. Bridgestone RB-1
  2. Motobecane CV-41
  3. Schwinn Prelude 1987 (Pink and White)
  4. Trek 620 - handlebar conversion to native state
  5. Trek 520 - needs everything
  6. Peugeot PKN10 - stuck seatpost
  7. Motobecane Interclub Tandem - remove foam grips and rewrap handlebars.
  8. Retrieve Santana tandem from the LBS, which is removing a seat post broken inside the seat tube, to complete overhaul.

Second major goal of pending projects include:
  1. Build a touring bike for my BFF neighbor in Ann Arbor. She needs a 58cm frame.
  2. Kestrel KM40 overhaul
  3. Klein Stage overhaul
  4. Nobilette overhaul

I bought the pictured below Schwinn Prelude in Palm Beach in August. Besides changing saddle and shorter reach stem, it needs a full overhaul and new consumables. That will be my winter project when I go to visit friends over the winter.
I'm thinking winter may be too short for all your bike projects,
Old 10-27-15, 06:39 PM
bikemig 

What's a winter?
Winter is when you get to ride your bike with studded tires. It's fun. The bike paths get really interesting in the deep of winter.

Attached Images
SnowRideThanks2014.jpg (101.5 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by bikemig; 10-27-15 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-27-15, 06:42 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrome Molly
Hmm,

Build up the new to me English frame with an 8 speed campy triple group that I got based on a hot tip in the "looking for one of these" thread.
Rebuild my US made frame that was robbed last minute of its components for my gravel bike (when a brifter asploded)
Build up that Italian frame that's been hanging in the corner
Build the French frame back up with proper period componentry and wheels
Maybe even build up the Japanese frame into a nice utility bike
Ride the snot out of that OT Taiwanese TI snow bike
How would you like to add another Italian to the build list?
Old 10-27-15, 06:43 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Winter is when you get to ride your bike with studded tires. It's fun. The bike paths get really interesting in the deep of winter.
Putting the Nokians on the Fargo this weekend.

Just in case.
Old 10-27-15, 06:45 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by gomango
Putting the Nokians on the Fargo this weekend.

Just in case.
I'm hoping to avoid those studded tires for a few more weeks!
Old 10-27-15, 07:35 PM
RobE30
Wherever I may roam....

Bikes: A few bikes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I just picked up a 1977 Centurion Semi Pro, serial # M7B01548. The steerer tube inner diameter is 22.0mm. !!!

The SR Royal stem is original and it's a 22.0 with center plug type wedge bolt. I was expecting 22.2. Is yours the same?
That seems odd. I'm pretty sure mine is a 22.2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.