Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Race Report Thread

Old 07-04-17, 06:32 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
hahahahaha
Old 07-05-17, 12:57 PM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Awesome Rensho. Congrats.

Thanks!

I guess my name is actually "Up Up Up". That's what they were yelling at me anyway.

A bunch of us must have the same name!
Old 07-05-17, 04:43 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Next event we'll make name tag stickers with our handles on them
It would be hilarious to see a guy walking around with a name tag that read "Hi! My name is BABY PUKE"
Old 07-05-17, 08:36 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000
It would be hilarious to see a guy walking around with a name tag that read "Hi! My name is BABY PUKE"
We should probably make this happen.
Old 07-05-17, 09:20 PM
Divebrian

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000
I dunno, but I think in this case I may prefer to be Baby Puke vs Queerpunk....
Old 07-07-17, 05:52 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Couple of my clients gifted me a very cool "Racer Ex" wool jersey, so if we meet in COS in December...
Old 07-08-17, 06:33 PM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Divebrian
I dunno, but I think in this case I may prefer to be Baby Puke vs Queerpunk....
I ran into another board member at Ttown this weekend and asked if he knew Queerpunk. I know he's been there while I was officiating during the UCI races, but I've never met him in person... that is unless I didn't realize it was him.
Old 07-15-19, 01:24 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
I stop racing on the track (or riding completely for a while) and you guys give up on my thread.

Shame. I don't see any race reports in the track area at all, at least on the first page. These were my favorites to read, and great places to learn stuff.
Old 07-16-19, 05:11 PM
Baby Puke

Perhaps everyone is just too busy doing actual racing? It has been pretty quiet on here of late. For myself, I've been doing TT's and TS's almost exclusively for a few years now, and those do not make riveting reads, generally.
Old 07-17-19, 07:27 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Hey, I did my first Keirin last weekend. Although nothing to report but that them dang young fella's from Atlanta are quick!
Shoutout to @topflightpro riding behind me yelling at what I'm doing wrong giving advice.

Old 07-17-19, 08:02 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Wow, the concrete has weathered..interestingly at Rock Hill. Is it just the photo?

When I was there when it opened and for a year or two after it looked super uniform.

Is it just visual or is it actually bumpy like it looks?
Old 07-17-19, 08:15 AM
Morelock

Not as bad as it looks, but the track is definitely not as smooth as it used to be. Coming out of t1/2 I feel a lot more bounce/shudder than I did a few years ago.
Old 07-17-19, 08:28 AM
Flatballer
No matches

That's a shame. I figured it would stay smoother longer than that. It was beautiful when it opened.
Old 07-28-19, 09:49 PM
m_sasso

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 60 Posts
Who is going to the Fred C. Rehberger Memorial Northwest Track Cycling Championships, Freds Race ?
Old 08-04-19, 10:41 AM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Results for the 2019 Pan Am Games Track events can be found here:
https://www.lima2019.pe/en/results
Click on the event to show results.
Old 08-04-19, 05:12 PM
Baby Puke

Ok, I just posted about how track time trials are too boring to write about, but I just had a pretty big breakthrough, and being nearly 51 I thought it might be encouraging for older riders to see this.

On Saturday I did a 11.382 200 tt, and my previous best was 11.65. That ride was nearly 10 years ago, and for the past several years I've never gone below 11.7. I was shocked and amazed! Sadly I didn't qualify as they were only taking the top 8 and this was an elite race (fastest time 10.4, slowest qualifier 11.0).

Then yesterday I did a 1:09.6 kilo. With a sub-par 500 time (36.2) and having lost my mind and driven over 4-5 sponges, I now feel a 1:08 is not out of the question. At 50 years old. This is my third 1:09, and my best is a 1:09.2, but that was at Colorado Springs, a super high altitude and fast track (Carleton was there). So this was my best ever kilo outside of the CS ride.

So take heart, old people of track cycling! You CAN get faster, even though biology says you are on the downward spiral. Get it!
Likes For Baby Puke:
Old 08-04-19, 07:26 PM
Clythio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Ok, I just posted about how track time trials are too boring to write about, but I just had a pretty big breakthrough, and being nearly 51 I thought it might be encouraging for older riders to see this.

On Saturday I did a 11.382 200 tt, and my previous best was 11.65. That ride was nearly 10 years ago, and for the past several years I've never gone below 11.7. I was shocked and amazed! Sadly I didn't qualify as they were only taking the top 8 and this was an elite race (fastest time 10.4, slowest qualifier 11.0).

Then yesterday I did a 1:09.6 kilo. With a sub-par 500 time (36.2) and having lost my mind and driven over 4-5 sponges, I now feel a 1:08 is not out of the question. At 50 years old. This is my third 1:09, and my best is a 1:09.2, but that was at Colorado Springs, a super high altitude and fast track (Carleton was there). So this was my best ever kilo outside of the CS ride.

So take heart, old people of track cycling! You CAN get faster, even though biology says you are on the downward spiral. Get it!
CONGRATS for the personal best.
250m track? Any "different from regular" setup, like big gears, etc.? Are you at top point of training session this year?
I have powermeter data from 2006 to now 2019, training and racing - reliable Powertaps data - and going from 44 to 61 years old didn't take any watt from me, instead of it, changing to train less volume, more variable and more HIT gave me better numbers in some time durations on the last years - of course, "horizontally" I'm going faster than my old - when we were young - adversaries.
Old 08-04-19, 09:35 PM
Baby Puke

Originally Posted by Clythio
CONGRATS for the personal best.
250m track? Any "different from regular" setup, like big gears, etc.? Are you at top point of training session this year?
Hi Clythio, and thanks! It's difficult to suss where I am training-wise right now. I'm a university English instructor, and I've just finished a semester (two days before the race). So my training volume has been pretty low, while work/family (we have a 7 year old) has been constant. Basically, my training for a while has been one gym session per week (and if motivated one very short home gym session consisting of plyos and cleans), one track session, and one home trainer session.

Over the last three years or so I've belatedly embraced the concept of bigger gears and I think it's now paying off. My previous PRs for both 200 and kilo were on a 94" gear (49/14), very old-school. The 200 I just did was on 106" (51/13) and the kilo on 104" (50/13). I realize even these are not huge by contemporary standards and I'm willing to keep experimenting, though I think I'm close to the tipping point with the kilo gear as far as difficulty starting vs. improved efficiency in the last lap.

Also I have to say the general concepts I learned as part of Lee Povey's Performance Cycle coaching team, as well as training with his riders (namely Ethan and Ken), taught me a lot about what kind of training efforts to prioritize and how to sequence them around the limitations of daily life.

So I guess the take-aways for me are: Training knowledge (and especially tailoring training to real-life to avoid burn-out) + perseverance with moving to bigger gears = some pretty nice improvements.

Now if they would only let me race in their masters nationals here I'd be in business!

Edit: Sorry, I forgot: it's an outdoor 333 track, but with proper banking (~35˚) and very smooth. It's also at a little bit of altitude, and I've found my times to be the same at the 250 at Izu, which I would equivalent to Carson. Japanese tracks are fantastic.

Edit #2 : I've also been riding a new frame this year, which is 2cm longer, and I've been making a conscious effort to improve my position aerodynamically (this was also a biggie stressed by Lee). Could be a factor.

Last edited by Baby Puke; 08-04-19 at 09:49 PM.
Likes For Baby Puke:
Old 08-05-19, 06:52 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
You're the second person I know to post comments about the ability to improve as we age. It's giving me a lot of hope, though I doubt I'll ever beat Ethan or Ken.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 08-05-19, 10:30 AM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 700wheel
Results for the 2019 Pan Am Games Track events can be found here:
https://www.lima2019.pe/en/results
Click on the event to show results.
Final Results for Team USA:
:
Men's Omnium - Gold - Dan Holloway
Women's Team Pursuit - Gold
Men's Team Pursuit - Gold
Women's Omnium - Gold- Jenifer Valente
Women's Madison - Gold
Men's Madison - Silver

I think these results qualify some riders for next years Olympic Games.
Likes For 700wheel:
Old 08-08-19, 11:31 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
That's amazing Baby Puke! Congrats!
Old 08-09-19, 06:43 AM
Baby Puke

Originally Posted by carleton
That's amazing Baby Puke! Congrats!
Thanks dude. I can't tell you how satisfying it is to set some new PR's after such a long time!
Old 08-10-19, 08:18 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Thanks dude. I can't tell you how satisfying it is to set some new PR's after such a long time!
Nice work Baby Puke! I am of the firm belief that unless you have been at the elite level when young there is always room to improve as a Master's athlete.
Likes For Dalai:
Old 08-11-19, 09:34 AM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Rode my 2nd track race of the year, the NC/SC Regional Championships. It was an omnium for me, not a format that I really like, but it allowed me some track time before nationals. They did a really good job of promoting the finals -- they had spectators, a beer tent, food truck -- I really recommend it and it was promoted by Michael Barman who helps run the Dicklane races. Good cash primes for all categories! If it hadn't clashed with Atlanta's Velodrome Cup (a really great event) it could have been even better. There was even a good sized women's field for Rock Hill (5 or 6), juniors, and a good showing of masters and 3/4 racers -- with riders traveling from at least Georgia, Tennessee, and Virginia.

The racing, itself, was pretty challenging for me. Having gone down twice in the past month (resulting road rash, a minor separated shoulder, and soft tissue damage to the hand and wrist), riding the track bike was really no fun. My current position is extremely nose heavy and requires a lot of upper body strength -- consequently it hurt to even warm up so I spent most of the time sitting if I wasn't racing.

Scratch: (52x16) The racing at Rock Hill has gotten faster this year, thank primarily to a critical mass of "fast" riders who have started to come out and with an injection of some good collegiate riders. In the Scratch, Clayton Travis, who rides for VT and Kreitler, kept the pace high by taking some enormous yanks at the front. When the speed dropped below 48, a collegiate rider from Lees McRae spun off the front in an 88 gear -- serious leg speed! 4 to go, 2 riders rocket off the front. 2 to go everything is fracturing. I surge up to them with 1.5 to go. But when I try to launch, my hand wasn't having it and I hop the front wheel. So I rode it in behind a wall of riders for a disappointing 4th.

Elimination: (50x16) This event is challenging for me even on the best of days and my preferred tactic is riding point or 2nd wheel. Today they actually started us on the whistle from the fence and I had to play the devil -- which is a bad play for me. Made no tactical mistakes, but just got tired from the repeated sprints and ended up 4th.

Points Race: (51x16) Clayton Travis put on a show and rolled away from us near the end. He doesn't have the huge top end, but really good pursuit style speed and a huge engine. We were single file going 48-49, and he pretty much lapped us. I was pretty much on the limit right away -- all the racing in a funky upright position had cracked me -- and I could tell going for any points would pretty much be the end of my race. So I saved it for double points final, and slogged a really slow sit down sprint which I somehow held off. Ending up another 4th.

So ultimately, ended up scraping together a 3rd in the state championships after removing the real winner, Clayton Travis, who was out of state. So I give this restaurant 2 out of 5 stars!

Other notes: the life span of a rear Vittoria Pista Speed for me is apparently 2 races at ADT, 3 races at T-Town, and 3 race days at Rock Hill. At my weight (56) and being nose heavy I thought it would last a little longer, but now I'm guessing that I'm probably minutely spinning / sliding the rear a little more than most riders.

Last edited by tobukog; 08-11-19 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-11-19, 02:01 PM
Morelock

^ Wait, do we know each other irl @tobukog and I just didn't realize it?

Also "raced" The RH series this weekend.
10" into the scratch (turn1) a fellow clipped a pedal, taking down a few of us. Chopped up my ear and banged up my shoulder (no doctor visit yet... hoping it's not too bad) took a little time to collect myself / bandage up / make sure the bike was sound... back in the win&out... took it pretty easy towards the back as I wasn't 100% sure of my shoulder, took a long flyer/solo tt for 4th. Still a bit of sketchy riding happening (3/4 race) in the points race... put a big effort in for the prime, then sat up and pulled out.

Saturday couldn't get into aero position for the timed events. Arm held out ok for regular drops though. Did a (mediocre - didn't really want to push my luck) flying 200 and sat out the match sprints since it would have meant some of us had to do a 3 man. (odd number)

Afterwards myself and @topflightpro were going to do a match for fun... he rolled his tire in t3 and unfortunately broke his clavicle (and maybe more?) - keep him in your thoughts :/

Not a great weekend unfortunately

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.