Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I'll say it... I like Gatorskins

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I'll say it... I like Gatorskins

Old 08-26-21, 11:27 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Ok. You're allowed to. It's your bike.

Old 08-26-21, 03:38 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
I used them on my commuter and never had a flat on them....the offset was the horrendous ride quality, but I rather have no flats.

Old 08-29-21, 02:01 AM
dmitchchar

Bikes: Custom built Carbon-; Litespeed M1 - Rival; Cannondale Caad3 Ultegra + Spinergy Wheelset; Schwinn Voyageur Steel '84; Specialized HardRock Hardtail

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thoughts

Sometimes extra protection just brings peace of mind. Of course some readers think of tires, some weapons, and some other ....things. No one likes a flat....

Of course this is someone who takes a 3 ton floor jack on road trips in the car ...or when trailering a boat.
Old 08-29-21, 02:06 AM
Hot Potato

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use 25mm armadillo's, I have had thread exposed without flatting out. My average speed really drops when fixing a flat, not to mention being late, so I totally understand.
Old 08-29-21, 04:42 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I lost a brand new 27mm Vittoria Open Pave to a road hazard. An emergency order of 25mm Gatorskins got me back on the road(I was away from home, on vacation.). I can't tell the difference in road feel. I'm al old man who rides like an old man.

Old 08-29-21, 08:38 PM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
I have 8 of the 28mm black edition
Likes For ussprinceton:
Old 08-30-21, 02:29 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by JAG1

23mm Gatorskins are OK light touring
That's an interesting rack. What is it and do you like it on your carbon fork? I'm thinking of doing something similar.
Old 08-30-21, 03:44 PM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
I've just started using 28C Gatorskins on my old road bike that I use for commuting in dry weather. I couldn't actually get 25C's as tyres are in short supply with the retailer I wanted to use (I get 'Blue Light' discount there) but I'm glad as the 28C's feel good and so much nicer than the 25C Marathon Plus Reflex tyres on my main commuter with fenders. On wet days I'm happy enough with the Marathons but they are harsher and heavier.
Old 08-30-21, 03:53 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Why is it only Gatorskins that get this much love-hate and not, for example, Armadillos?
Old 08-30-21, 04:07 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,423 Times in 2,824 Posts
Hello. My name is RSbob and was a Gatorskin user for 20 years. I have been clean for 2. I still crave them though

Rode them for as long as they have been around. Used then for commuting, road riding, long tours and on a tandem- really good tires. Got a new bike with tubeless and… then the story takes a turn. Nothing wrong with Gatorskins.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-30-21, 04:34 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
For those on gatorskins, really consider the 4 seasons instead, way better ride quality, suppleness, and only marginally lower puncture protection and wear. Nothing like the tradeoffs going to a racing tire like a gp5000

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...prix-5000-2018
Likes For redlude97:
Old 08-31-21, 03:25 AM
Cyclist0105
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
That's an interesting rack. What is it and do you like it on your carbon fork? I'm thinking of doing something similar.
The carbon fork gets tore up due to the metal band with rubber coating chewing up the finish. This bike is a tribute to the 2000 Tour de France when GT built the Belgium Lotto Adecco team two bikes per rider in a time span of 5-weeks. One of the rider in won a stage on the GT mountain bike/tour-de-france hybrid. I keep the panniers at 5-lbs each for the Blackburn Outpost World Touring front rack, which is thick aluminum and weighs just over 12-ounces on my scale.

Blackburn Outpost World Tour rack and Ortlieb Front Roller Classics

Nice turn radius as well

The left pannier holds a Amok Draumr Cammo 3.0 with the FJOL 25x77-inch R4 sleep pad.
The right pannier holds a Six Moon Designs Haven mesh tent with a bathtub floor, a Dutchware 10x12-foot SilPoly tarp with two spreader bars (one side has doors, the other is wide open), and two Costco Down throws.

I generally use this in National Parks where I set up a base camp and use the bike to explore/trout fish/disperse camp in interesting areas. .
You will need this Quick Release Skewer as the Blackburn is mounted via the quick release skewer, and each side of the rack is 1.5-inches in length where the skewer runs through it to give the rack a purchase point. So the load bearing is carried on the skewer, as the carbon forks would have a hard time supporting the weight.

Exxxxxtra Long Quick Release Skewer

Last edited by Cyclist0105; 08-31-21 at 03:30 AM.
Old 08-31-21, 05:11 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Why is it only Gatorskins that get this much love-hate and not, for example, Armadillos?
I think, at least judging from around my area, a lot of the Conti mention in general (whether it's tires or tubes) is because just about every independent bike shop seems to carry Conti. Indeed, trying to find racks full of Pirelli or Michelin or Vittoria tubes/tires is quite elusive. Armadillos I'd assume would only be found in a Specialized shop.
Old 09-01-21, 07:52 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I have Gatorskins on my backup road bike... Trek 1.1. I like Gatorskins better than the original Bontrager tires that came with the bike. I'm a recreational rider... so Gatorskins are fine with me. I don't see what the big negative fuss is over them. I needed a tire that wouldn't go flat... and I've never had a flat with Gatorskins.
Likes For DomaneS5:
Old 09-01-21, 08:06 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
Yes I know there are those that say they ride like garden hoses. I don't get it, I'm just glad that I found a quality tire for my needs.
If you ever had a chance to ride a gator skin back to back with a Continental GP5000 you would get it.
Likes For prj71:
Old 09-01-21, 08:17 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
I’ve been using gatorskins on at least one of my bikes for many years. Running them on one of my commuters now. Have never had any issues with them. Not my first choice of tire but they would be far from the last.
Likes For Rage:
Old 09-01-21, 01:55 PM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Maybe not quite as much, but Schwalbe Marathons definitely have a similar love-hate representation. I think it comes down to tires with enough sales to generate a volume of lovers and haters. The Armadillos likely don't sell in anywhere near the same volume, same things for Bontrager Hard Case, etc that are limited to shops selling Specialized or Trek respectively, and even then when it comes to tires, the tire brand tires are still usually stocked in larger numbers than the bike brand tires.
Likes For NumbersGuy:
Old 09-01-21, 09:26 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
If you ever had a chance to ride a gator skin back to back with a Continental GP5000 you would get it.
Possibly. I'll let you know in about a year when the Gatorskins wear out.
Old 09-02-21, 11:58 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
not a racer but a recreational rider, I find I really appreciate Continental Gatorskins (28mm with 60-85psi front/back). The ride is plenty grippy for my needs and the tires seem to last quite a while.
<jedi wave>No you wont. These are not the tires you are looking for.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 09-02-21, 12:23 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
746 days Gatorskin free after 10yrs of near daily use. Still have long term damage to my road perception
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 09-02-21, 02:11 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
That's like the difference between a jersey made of lycra or sandpaper.
Old 06-03-23, 10:27 AM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Frozen garden hose, to be clear......
With an attached anchor I might add. I have a pair and it definitely stops the flatitus which was becoming regular and expensive. The slowdown was the price to be paid.
Old 06-09-23, 12:03 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
That's like the difference between a jersey made of lycra or sandpaper.
Nah. I ride bikes with Gatorskins and Michelin Pro Race 4s which are very nice tires. Have Conti 3000 on another. I ride the Mich and Conti because I really don't have an issue with flats, they rarely happen to me. There is a slight difference I can feel in suppleness, and if there's a difference in grip, it's lost on me because I don't push that hard. I don't deny there's differences, but I really, really doubt it's meaningful to 99.9% of even enthusiastic riders. Certainly and not even close to worth the difference in flat protection for those that need it. Not anywhere close to the hyperbolic difference you describe.
Old 06-09-23, 05:19 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 729 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Nah. I ride bikes with Gatorskins and Michelin Pro Race 4s which are very nice tires. Have Conti 3000 on another. I ride the Mich and Conti because I really don't have an issue with flats, they rarely happen to me. There is a slight difference I can feel in suppleness, and if there's a difference in grip, it's lost on me because I don't push that hard. I don't deny there's differences, but I really, really doubt it's meaningful to 99.9% of even enthusiastic riders. Certainly and not even close to worth the difference in flat protection for those that need it. Not anywhere close to the hyperbolic difference you describe.
I switch from winter 28mm Armadillos to summer 28mm GP5000's.

10+/- watts per tire rolling resistance vs 20++

300grams/10oz +/- weight savings

A set of tires, that cost about the same as the other set, instantly save 25-30+/- watts & 10oz. (I trained hard all winter, tons of sweat and pain - didn't gain 30 watts)

Plus, the ride quality is night and day.

I don't know what other bike parts will get you that kind of performance gains for essentially no money.
Old 06-09-23, 03:02 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 161 Times in 80 Posts
I switched to Black edition a few seasons ago. Last summer I ordered another set, had them sitting at home when 180 miles away I discovered a tire slice after riding through a patch of glass. Found a LBS mid ride and changed it out. Once home swapped that tire out and the front with the new set of black edition. This would have been late July or mid-august. Couple weeks ago noticed a couple cuts across the tread all the way to the casing. Had very few actual miles on this tire. It was flat across the contact patch the complete circumference of the tire. I rode the trainer from mid-fall through most of spring with a different tire until I bought my Zwift smart trainer. Years back when I was riding 5-7K a year I would go through 3 tires a year, one front, two rears. Mostly with Spec 'dillas. These Gatorskins for me have been a big disappointment in tire life. The cost was good though since I kept finding them for a rather low price on Bike Tires Direct.

I swapped out to a 24 S-works turbo pro. Instantly noticed how much quicker my bike felt in spite of 120 psi. I used to stock up in the spring on these when Specialized was running BOGO 1/2. This was the last one of those. It was due to the logistics of tire shopping during the 'rona that I started using Gatorskins, price also played a part. I had my share of issues with Specialized tires as well. Delamination was a big one. Premature weather checking another. The proverbial straw though was delamination of a CX tubular with only a handful of races on it, it was even a front tire so almost no tread wear.

I am now in the hunt for my next tires. I prefer to have a set at home for the convenience of swapping out when I need regardless of day of week or time of day.

I agree with those that say run anything else right after you run Gatorskins to notice the difference. Is the flat protection worth the piss poor ride? Only you can answer that one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.