Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.2

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.2

Old 06-13-22, 07:23 AM
  #8401  
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 18,394

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7586 Post(s)
Liked 2,597 Times in 1,364 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
Yay tre
Wordle 359 3/6

⬛⬛⬛🟨⬛
🟨🟩⬛🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Wordle was a shameful 5, but got the WorLdle in 2.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 06-13-22, 07:37 AM
  #8402  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 38,470

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 527 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18271 Post(s)
Liked 5,253 Times in 2,571 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Yeah, I have ridden mine on 36mm gravel and 25mm road tires and it makes a huge difference, but it's still pretty slow, which I attribute to weight and aerodynamics.
I almost always blame my engine, but in the case of yesterday's ride, my (crap how I hate this term!!) average speed was about 3.5 MPH slower than it would have been on my road bike, and since they both have the same engine, it has to be the tires/rolling resistance. The aero and weight are nearly the same as my road bike.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 06-13-22, 07:58 AM
  #8403  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 19,870
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4817 Post(s)
Liked 4,234 Times in 2,278 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p View Post

clock !
Nixie tubes.
big john is online now  
Old 06-13-22, 08:04 AM
  #8404  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 38,687

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20054 Post(s)
Liked 8,664 Times in 4,339 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
I almost always blame my engine, but in the case of yesterday's ride, my (crap how I hate this term!!) average speed was about 3.5 MPH slower than it would have been on my road bike, and since they both have the same engine, it has to be the tires/rolling resistance. The aero and weight are nearly the same as my road bike.
Decent chunky wheels will roll pretty well. I don't like them in a group rides, surges are definitely tougher, but they're not too bad on solo rides with a smoother pace. I've done solo metrics at a decent clip (18ish?) on 35mm G-One Allarounds when my road wheels were out of commission; I don't think that I've ever done that route faster than maybe 19.5 or so, with 18.5 being more typical.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 06-13-22, 08:12 AM
  #8405  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 46,496

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 765 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23611 Post(s)
Liked 1,216 Times in 857 Posts
I regret to inform I watched a baseball game yesterday.

Lesson learned. SMH
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 06-13-22, 08:24 AM
  #8406  
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred
 
DougRNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Metro Atl.
Posts: 9,202

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6662 Post(s)
Liked 1,570 Times in 968 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
I regret to inform I watched a baseball game yesterday.

Lesson learned. SMH
but the vo'ls went down swinging.
DougRNS is offline  
Old 06-13-22, 08:26 AM
  #8407  
Mojo31
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 7,668
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5815 Post(s)
Liked 3,553 Times in 1,955 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
I regret to inform I watched a baseball game yesterday.

Lesson learned. SMH
Catholics took a ruler to the Vols.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 06-13-22, 08:51 AM
  #8408  
phrantic09
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 3,048

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 643 Posts
Over the past few weeks, Iíve noticed a pain on the outside of my hip/glute that runs about halfway to my knee. It had been annoying, but didnít appear to be anything major.

Yesterday I had a complete meltdown with about 18 miles left in my ride. My leg hurt so much at the bottom of my pedal stroke that I had to make the call of shame.

Out of curiosity I started looking at power balance and notice that it is getting significantly worse- what used to be a 49/51 or 48/52 on average is now 43/57 on my last three rides. Clearly something is going on- hope itís not major. Going to call the sports med doctor today and see whatís possible for an appointment. Mileage has been pretty low the last 3 weeks so I donít think itís overtraining.

The real bummer is that in general Iím feeling really strong.
phrantic09 is offline  
Old 06-13-22, 08:52 AM
  #8409  
phrantic09
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 3,048

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 643 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Decent chunky wheels will roll pretty well. I don't like them in a group rides, surges are definitely tougher, but they're not too bad on solo rides with a smoother pace. I've done solo metrics at a decent clip (18ish?) on 35mm G-One Allarounds when my road wheels were out of commission; I don't think that I've ever done that route faster than maybe 19.5 or so, with 18.5 being more typical.
I notice about 1 MPH difference between my gravelking SK and road tires
phrantic09 is offline  
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 06-13-22, 09:03 AM
  #8410  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 46,496

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 765 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23611 Post(s)
Liked 1,216 Times in 857 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS View Post
but the vo'ls went down swinging.
That's the problem.
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 06-13-22, 09:10 AM
  #8411  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 11,385

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6246 Post(s)
Liked 6,597 Times in 3,383 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09 View Post
Over the past few weeks, Iíve noticed a pain on the outside of my hip/glute that runs about halfway to my knee. It had been annoying, but didnít appear to be anything major.

Yesterday I had a complete meltdown with about 18 miles left in my ride. My leg hurt so much at the bottom of my pedal stroke that I had to make the call of shame.

Out of curiosity I started looking at power balance and notice that it is getting significantly worse- what used to be a 49/51 or 48/52 on average is now 43/57 on my last three rides. Clearly something is going on- hope itís not major. Going to call the sports med doctor today and see whatís possible for an appointment. Mileage has been pretty low the last 3 weeks so I donít think itís overtraining.

The real bummer is that in general Iím feeling really strong.
Bummer, guy. Sorry. I had something like that a couple years back. Waking up and getting to the bathroom was agony, though it would loosen up over the day. Then tighten up again as I was sitting at work. It went away when I switched from the Bianchi to the Ritchey, which has a smaller Q-factor.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is online now  
Old 06-13-22, 09:42 AM
  #8412  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 39,860

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9305 Post(s)
Liked 4,150 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
I regret to inform I watched a baseball game yesterday.

Lesson learned. SMH
Girls love guys that watch baseball.

Lawn mowers too. You'll be hitched in no time!

LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 06-13-22, 09:53 AM
  #8413  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 19,870
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4817 Post(s)
Liked 4,234 Times in 2,278 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09 View Post
Over the past few weeks, I’ve noticed a pain on the outside of my hip/glute that runs about halfway to my knee. It had been annoying, but didn’t appear to be anything major.

Yesterday I had a complete meltdown with about 18 miles left in my ride. My leg hurt so much at the bottom of my pedal stroke that I had to make the call of shame.

Out of curiosity I started looking at power balance and notice that it is getting significantly worse- what used to be a 49/51 or 48/52 on average is now 43/57 on my last three rides. Clearly something is going on- hope it’s not major. Going to call the sports med doctor today and see what’s possible for an appointment. Mileage has been pretty low the last 3 weeks so I don’t think it’s overtraining.

The real bummer is that in general I’m feeling really strong.
Could be IT band syndrome. What helped me was massage on the band from the hip to the knee using a plastic roller ball thing. Even pushing with a thumb helps.

Iliotibial (IT) Band Syndrome: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment (webmd.com)
big john is online now  
Old 06-13-22, 10:08 AM
  #8414  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 5,942

Bikes: Cervťlo C2, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5270 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,021 Posts
slept like 15 hours or something. Body aches arnt as bad, but the head ache is just annoying. My body constantly feels hot but I donít have a fever anymore. Fatigue is an issue but not as bad as I thought it would be. Hope the worst is already over.

My wife has it as well, which makes me think we were exposed last week.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 06-13-22, 10:12 AM
  #8415  
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 18,394

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7586 Post(s)
Liked 2,597 Times in 1,364 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09 View Post
Over the past few weeks, Iíve noticed a pain on the outside of my hip/glute that runs about halfway to my knee. It had been annoying, but didnít appear to be anything major.

Yesterday I had a complete meltdown with about 18 miles left in my ride. My leg hurt so much at the bottom of my pedal stroke that I had to make the call of shame.

Out of curiosity I started looking at power balance and notice that it is getting significantly worse- what used to be a 49/51 or 48/52 on average is now 43/57 on my last three rides. Clearly something is going on- hope itís not major. Going to call the sports med doctor today and see whatís possible for an appointment. Mileage has been pretty low the last 3 weeks so I donít think itís overtraining.

The real bummer is that in general Iím feeling really strong.
A pain like that is rarely "nothing serious"; especially with things like that power balance. Hope you can get it sorted out.

Though it's funny that I have it on good authority () that power balance is useless. Must be a coincidence.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 06-13-22, 10:18 AM
  #8416  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 46,496

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 765 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23611 Post(s)
Liked 1,216 Times in 857 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
Girls love guys that watch baseball.
Citation, please.

Although if you're a female, I could see how this might be hard to resist.

__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 06-13-22, 10:18 AM
  #8417  
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist
 
Deal4Fuji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,553

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked 1,107 Times in 716 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
I regret to inform I watched a baseball game yesterday.

Lesson learned. SMH
Originally Posted by DougRNS View Post
but the vo'ls went down swinging.
Originally Posted by Mojo31 View Post
Catholics took a ruler to the Vols.
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
That's the problem.


Karma Police ?


Deal4Fuji is offline  
Old 06-13-22, 10:33 AM
  #8418  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 39,860

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9305 Post(s)
Liked 4,150 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
Citation, please.
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 06-13-22, 11:00 AM
  #8419  
phrantic09
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 3,048

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 643 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
Could be IT band syndrome. What helped me was massage on the band from the hip to the knee using a plastic roller ball thing. Even pushing with a thumb helps.

Iliotibial (IT) Band Syndrome: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment (webmd.com)
I think itís piriformis- but an ortho will hopefully let me know

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
A pain like that is rarely "nothing serious"; especially with things like that power balance. Hope you can get it sorted out.

Though it's funny that I have it on good authority () that power balance is useless. Must be a coincidence.
You know, if it was like 48/52 Iíd agree that it doesnít matter, but this much is an issue imo.

Iím leaving like 15W average on the table!
phrantic09 is offline  
Old 06-13-22, 11:03 AM
  #8420  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 11,385

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6246 Post(s)
Liked 6,597 Times in 3,383 Posts
It's just another day.
Wordle 359 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
⬜🟨🟨⬜🟨
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is online now  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-13-22, 11:13 AM
  #8421  
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 18,394

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7586 Post(s)
Liked 2,597 Times in 1,364 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09 View Post
You know, if it was like 48/52 Iíd agree that it doesnít matter, but this much is an issue imo.

Iím leaving like 15W average on the table!
Well but that's what I mean - the argument isn't that pursuing 50/50 from 48/52 doesn't matter, it's that even looking at it at all doesn't matter.

Yes, 48/52 isn't concerning, especially if it's roughly that for a while. If it drops to 43/57, that's a sign you're subconsciously favoring your left leg, or that it's just suddenly weaker even if it doesn't hurt. Just like my roughly 48/52 split was fine, but post-crash I could watch it climb from 30/70 back to 48/52 over the span of weeks and that clearly meant something.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 06-13-22, 11:14 AM
  #8422  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 19,870
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4817 Post(s)
Liked 4,234 Times in 2,278 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09 View Post
I think itís piriformis- but an ortho will hopefully let me know
I never saw a doctor about it but when it happens it's a pretty severe pain, like stabbing pain outside the knee. If I stand up on the mtb to absorb some bumps, for instance, it takes my breath away. My LBS guy told me about massaging the IT band area and it made a huge difference, to the point it rarely shows up anymore.
big john is online now  
Old 06-13-22, 11:17 AM
  #8423  
phrantic09
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 3,048

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 643 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
Well but that's what I mean - the argument isn't that pursuing 50/50 from 48/52 doesn't matter, it's that even looking at it at all doesn't matter.

Yes, 48/52 isn't concerning, especially if it's roughly that for a while. If it drops to 43/57, that's a sign you're subconsciously favoring your left leg, or that it's just suddenly weaker even if it doesn't hurt. Just like my roughly 48/52 split was fine, but post-crash I could watch it climb from 30/70 back to 48/52 over the span of weeks and that clearly meant something.
Right- thereís clearly a bigger issue, and I can now feel it down the back of my leg at the bottom of a pedal stroke, itís also tender all of the time now, especially when sitting.
phrantic09 is offline  
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 06-13-22, 11:25 AM
  #8424  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 19,870
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4817 Post(s)
Liked 4,234 Times in 2,278 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09 View Post
Right- there’s clearly a bigger issue, and I can now feel it down the back of my leg at the bottom of a pedal stroke, it’s also tender all of the time now, especially when sitting.
Ouch! That sounds like sciatic nerve. Or maybe you pulled a hammy. I don't play a doctor on tv, however. You could start a thread in the 41.

Last edited by big john; 06-13-22 at 02:41 PM.
big john is online now  
Old 06-13-22, 11:37 AM
  #8425  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 34,837
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15910 Post(s)
Liked 10,157 Times in 4,950 Posts
Fairly easy and pretty 28 miles to a nice municipal campground in Newport, VT. I skipped the dirt miles due to heavy rain last night. So close to QC that many of the signs in Walmart have French translations. Got to ride a few miles into town for some stuff.

Snack stop this morning.
indyfabz is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.