Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike shop ripping me off?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-19-22, 05:55 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,461 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I wore out my inner Ultegra 11 speed chain ring. The cost of replacement was $10. The outer ones tend to be pricier.
That is a good deal! Mine was $16.

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
It is kind of hard to tell if it needs to be replaced until you put a new chain on. Then you can see gaps when you pull on it, and it will skip under load.
That is why I keep a new one as a spare and for a basis for comparison.
Old 06-19-22, 06:31 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
That is a good deal! Mine was $16.

That is why I keep a new one as a spare and for a basis for comparison.

50T chainring for Ultegra CS-6800 crankset will set you back around $150

(Colorado Cyclist - $165, Jenson USA $165)
Old 06-19-22, 06:42 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

dry chain can wear chainrings and cassette prematurely

as will frequent rides on some crushed limestone and similar surfaces (rails-to-trails)

wheel bearings can also die an early / premature death when bike logs a fair amount of miles on the crushed limestone and similar surfaces

saw a trashed set of wheels after just one summer of rail-to-trails riding that consisted of a large crushed limestone etc
Old 06-19-22, 06:45 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p

wheel bearings can also die an early / premature death when bike logs a fair amount of miles on the crushed limestone and similar surfaces

saw a trashed set of wheels after just one summer of rail-to-trails riding that consisted of a large crushed limestone etc
Curious if you are thinking the dust gets past the seals ?. Never had issues with any mt. bike I've owned.
Old 06-19-22, 07:03 PM
t2p

possible - the wheelset was trashed

drivetrain components trashed

the surface really took a toll on the bike
Old 06-19-22, 07:05 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by t2p
50T chainring for Ultegra CS-6800 crankset will set you back around $150.
I use 10 speed chain rings on my otherwise 11 speed drive train so I am limited to 105 for the big ring but have the choice of Ultegra or 105 for the small ring.

I would not keep a spare ring around if it was $150!
Old 06-19-22, 07:07 PM
t2p

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Curious if you are thinking the dust gets past the seals ?. Never had issues with any mt. bike I've owned.
at one time (long ago) we rode off road 1-3 times per week from fall thru spring - including winter evenings (no snow or ice - but often a lot of mud ; when ground was snow covered some guys then rode in multi-level parking garages)

this was back in the day when Night Sun and Night Rider were basically the only legit choices for quality lights

a number of guys went through rims - but can't recall trashed wheel bearings or hubs (?) - other than required maintenance after bike washing after extreme mud rides etc

Last edited by t2p; 06-19-22 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-19-22, 07:08 PM
t2p

btw - night off road riding is one neatest / exhilarating bike experiences
Likes For t2p:
Old 06-19-22, 11:36 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
What brand and model of crank? One or both chainrings? Without knowing this it would be impossible to tell if what the shop is telling you is true. Sometimes if you have to replace both rings a complete crank can actually be cheaper
A good example.

I recently bought some cranks for myself (double, compact - Shimano Sora class) that cost less than sourcing 2 new chainrings locally, for the old square taper cranks.

ChimeraKC - this is my long-winded drivel thinking out loud about bicycle shops in general, if it's of any help:

Likes For Bike Gremlin:
Old 06-20-22, 01:12 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3861 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
Well, yeah. That's what they do.

It's 2022. You've got a world of information at the tip of your fingers. And it's free! Figure it out and do it yourself.
Old 06-20-22, 12:47 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Upload some photos of the bike to your album:

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/505475

Include some closeups of the cranks and chainrings, and the rear cassette (with the wheel removed?) List of brands/models of the major components?

If a bike needs a new chain, cassette, chainrings, and rear bearings, then that could be a sign of lots of miles and a fair amount of abuse.

A good shop should be able to replace rear bearings, unless the cones are pitted, in which case it would require bearings and cones. But it will require a little labor too (which is a reason to learn to do the repairs yourself).

Personally I purchase a lot of supplies online. Some UK retailers have traditionally had good prices, but Shimano and SRAM have been messing with their ability to sell to the USA. Still, there are other retailers, as well as E-Bay.
Old 06-20-22, 01:13 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Well, yeah. That's what they do.
Show us on the doll where the bike shop hurt you.
Old 06-20-22, 06:30 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Originally Posted by Rolla
Show us on the doll where the bike shop hurt you.
Need receipts, Mr Auditor?

Sorry. I tossed them. I learned my lesson a long time ago.
Old 06-20-22, 08:04 PM
Rolla

You poor, traumatized thing.
Old 06-20-22, 11:14 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Originally Posted by Rolla
You poor, traumatized thing.
Oh, don't worry about me. Thanks to bad experience and learned lessons, I can do everything myself. Worry about the op. Sounds like he's getting ripped off by a bike shop.
Old 06-20-22, 11:22 PM
La Brea Bike

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Ultimate, 84 & 85 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Raleigh Prestige, 85 Raleigh 555 RSL, '20 Raleigh Tamland, 38 Raleigh, 85 Landshark "Raleigh", '84 Marinoni Levi's Raleigh, SB4484, SB7979, Raleigh SSCXWC, 87 Raleigh USA 531 Prototype

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 79 Posts
I have seen a few of these similar conclusions here, and from my shop perspective... If someone runs a chain beyond 100% wear for an EXTENDED time, it's not uncommon at all to see significant wear on the chain ring (usually not RINGs). This wear will not jive with a new chain (customer gets to decide if they want to replace Chain/Cassette/Crank or have us try to tune it as best as possible with NO replacement parts and limp along as good as possible until there is no other choice). Secondly, yeah, there are numerous Shimano cranksets that are made as a unit. The individual chainrings are not replaceable. The option here is to get any other crankset with the same gear ratios. Upgraded ones will have the ability to change the chainrings. There is no shortage that I have encountered recently with getting any chain rings. Shimano welded cranksets are hit or miss. On an Allez though?
Old 06-20-22, 11:34 PM
Rolla

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Thanks to bad experience and learned lessons, I can do everything myself.
Yes, we know. You remind us every couple of weeks.
Old 06-21-22, 08:20 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Maybe the shop is trying to rip you off, but unlikely. Lots of parts are hard to source right now, and it is possible the suppliers they deal with don't have the exact parts you need. But if all they are doing is 'trying to sell you stuff' then that isn't ripping you off. If they promise a certain product or service at a certain price, then deliver a different (inferior) product or service for the same price, or try to charge you more than they initially quoted for the product or service, THAT is likely to be trying to rip you off.
Saying they can't get the part you are looking for? Not a rip off. Trying to sell you something more expensive - also not a rip off. You need to grow your skin thicker if you plan to keep existing on this planet.

Also, if you can get the parts you need for cheaper than they can sell them, then go ahead and buy them - chainrings aren't that difficult to install, nor are cassettes, nor are chains. Do the work yourself and you can be sure nobody is trying to rip you off.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 06-21-22, 09:25 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
Originally Posted by La Brea Bike
Secondly, yeah, there are numerous Shimano cranksets that are made as a unit. The individual chainrings are not replaceable. The option here is to get any other crankset with the same gear ratios. Upgraded ones will have the ability to change the chainrings. There is no shortage that I have encountered recently with getting any chain rings. Shimano welded cranksets are hit or miss. On an Allez though?
Don't think that was the case here, provided the original crankset hasn't been replaced before. This review ( https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bi...z-2019-review/ ) says that even the lowest-priced 2019 Allez came with the Shimano FC-RC200. Unless I'm misreading it, Shimano documentation indicates that crankset has replaceable chainrings with 110mm BCD.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ.../FC-RS200.html

Unless it's still being ridden on the original chain and has been ridden serious mileage (and thus has a highly worn chain), I'd be surprised if told that either chainring needs replacement - though as you observed, it's indeed possible. I have to admit when I was a less experienced and naive cyclist I ruined a crankset that way once (it was an entry-level riveted crankset, so replacing the chainwheels wasn't an option).

I also am skeptical about that "can only get a chainring with the cranks attached" claim if the crank is the FC-RS200. However, the FC-RS200 is pretty inexpensive (around $48-60 US plus S/H, available from multiple sources). So depending on the shop's labor rate and the cost of the individual chainrings, it might actually be less expensive to replace the entire crankset than both chainrings. Can't see that being the case if only one chainring is bad, though.
Old 06-21-22, 11:21 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
This review ( https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bi...z-2019-review/ ) says that even the lowest-priced 2019 Allez came with the Shimano FC-RC200. Unless I'm misreading it, Shimano documentation indicates that crankset has replaceable chainrings with 110mm BCD.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ.../FC-RS200.html
That steel chainring should last till Kingdom come.
Old 06-21-22, 12:43 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
That steel chainring should last till Kingdom come.
Steel chainrings should indeed last a long time - provided you change chains when necessary. But their demise can be accelerated.

The crankset I ruined years ago when still ignorant of proper bike maintenance had steel chainwheels.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 06-21-22, 02:58 PM
La Brea Bike

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Ultimate, 84 & 85 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Raleigh Prestige, 85 Raleigh 555 RSL, '20 Raleigh Tamland, 38 Raleigh, 85 Landshark "Raleigh", '84 Marinoni Levi's Raleigh, SB4484, SB7979, Raleigh SSCXWC, 87 Raleigh USA 531 Prototype

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
Steel chainrings should indeed last a long time - provided you change chains when necessary. But their demise can be accelerated.

The crankset I ruined years ago when still ignorant of proper bike maintenance had steel chainwheels.
For sure, especially people that ride that stretched chain in their favorite chainwheel and Cassette sprocket all the time. We have seen some humorous results...
Old 06-21-22, 03:48 PM
N2deep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by ChimeraKC
This shop is always trying to sell me more than I want and sell me on a new bike. Only game in town. I have 2019 Specialized Allez that needs a new cassette, chain and chainring.
We have waited weeks for a cassette to arrive - I see tons of compatible ones online - and they say they can only get a chainring with the cranks attached. REALLY? I see tons of them for sale without that. They also say the bearings are gone on the rear wheel and I need a new one. I had a Bianchi for ten years and never replaced any wheels. Think these guys are out of it and ripping me off? I am a snowbird and trust my shop in Florida much more but these repairs are needed now. Thanks

I experienced the same debacle this summer at our local Trek Store when trying to buy replacement bottom bracket bearings. The parts I needed were not in stock and they would-could not order from a business outside of their model-chain. Five minutes on line and they were in the mail, within 2 days, sad that they are handcuffed by their own processes. Any independent shop would buy them on line and made the cash from the install rather than trying to get the customer to wait 6 months for parts delivery..

Last edited by N2deep; 06-21-22 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-21-22, 03:56 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by N2deep
I experienced the same debacle this summer at our local Trek Store when trying to buy replacement bottom bracket bearings. The parts I needed were not in stock and they would not order from someone outside of their business model-chain. Five minutes on line and they were in the mail, sad that they are handcuffed by their own processes. Any independent shop would buy them on line and made the cash from the install.
Not every Trek store is the same. I suspect yours may be a corporate flagship type store. My local Trek store (from which I had bought a hybrid bike and miscellaneous accessories before it became a Trek store) had absolutely no issue with charging me a very reasonable price to modify and install a headset I ordered online onto a vintage Cannondale CAAD4.
Likes For SoSmellyAir: