Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Carbon wheel brake pad advice

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-22-22, 07:19 AM
Lyleman222

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys
I've bought some 2nd hand carbon wheels and I need to get some carbon brake pads, someone mentioned to me going for lighter coloured pads like grey may make brake surface wear look worse and it's better to stick to black, any thoughts? Cheers Al
Old 06-22-22, 07:39 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
Yes some rim brake pads will cause streaking. However I'd focus first on finding a good set of pads that will stop you e.g. SwissStop Black Prince. Carbon wheels don't slow and stop as well as alloy IME despite various pad combinations especially when wet.
Old 06-22-22, 07:43 AM
Lyleman222

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, can you get rid of streaking?
Old 06-22-22, 09:22 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Lyleman222
Hi guys
I've bought some 2nd hand carbon wheels and I need to get some carbon brake pads, someone mentioned to me going for lighter coloured pads like grey may make brake surface wear look worse and it's better to stick to black, any thoughts? Cheers Al
That's one of the dumbest ideas I've ever hears. First you want to use the pads recommended by the rim manufacturer. Some are black, some are grey (Zipp), some are red (Roval), some are blue (Envy/Reynolds). If the rim manufacturer doesn't provide or recommend a specific pad then I'd use either Zipp (grey) or Swissstop Black Prince. Carbon rim braking surfaces wear very little but you can get pad material deposits on the rim. If they aren't causing any noise leave them alone.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 06-22-22, 09:25 AM
Lyleman222

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
That's one of the dumbest ideas I've ever hears. First you want to use the pads recommended by the rim manufacturer. Some are black, some are grey (Zipp), some are red (Roval), some are blue (Envy/Reynolds). If the rim manufacturer doesn't provide or recommend a specific pad then I'd use either Zipp (grey) or Swissstop Black Prince. Carbon rim braking surfaces wear very little but you can get pad material deposits on the rim. If they aren't causing any noise leave them alone.
That's why I've come on here for advice 😂 anyway I've read acetone can clean brake residue off👍
Old 06-22-22, 09:27 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
Disc brakes fix this problem also.
Old 06-22-22, 09:40 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
That's why I've come on here for advice 😂 anyway I've read acetone can clean brake residue off👍
If you want to remove it yes, acetone will do the job. Lacquer thinner usually works as well.
Old 06-22-22, 10:03 AM
Lyleman222

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
If you want to remove it yes, acetone will do the job. Lacquer thinner usually works as well.
Thanks 👍
Old 06-22-22, 09:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
For any carbon wheel go with the manufacturers suggested pads first and foremost and if they really don't recommend anything like cxwrench said SwissStop makes great pads (Black Prince and Yellow King) and make sure you are using a carbon specific compound and get the best you can, brake pads are the worst place to cheap out.

However keep an eye on those old wheels make sure everything is good on them. Never know what happened from that previous owner unless you really trust the seller.
Old 06-24-22, 10:07 AM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hi guys
Most of the Carbon rim brake pads suck big time. If you want to stop get Campagnolo Carbon Brake pads. They work well but they work so well I don't know about the wear rates on the wheels. Though mine don't seem to be wearing any differently from the blue pads.
Old 06-25-22, 08:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by cyclintom
Most of the Carbon rim brake pads suck big time. If you want to stop get Campagnolo Carbon Brake pads. They work well but they work so well I don't know about the wear rates on the wheels. Though mine don't seem to be wearing any differently from the blue pads.
Because braking on carbon rims just sucks in general. Alloy rims are the way to go for rim brakes or if you want carbon disc brakes all the way!

Make sure if your rims are for a specific pad you use that pad. Also note if you don't have Campagnolo shoes using Campagnolo pads is going to be tough and if you do have the proper shoes make sure you are again using the proper carbon pads for the rims assuming they are carbon.
Old 06-26-22, 09:43 AM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have largely changed over to aluminum rims again. They are not as strong as deep carbon rims though. To me that is more important than the stopping power which with Campagnolo Carbon pads are almost as good as aluminum rims. The roads around here are so bad that you have to be concerned about breaking a wheel.
Old 06-26-22, 06:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by cyclintom
I have largely changed over to aluminum rims again. They are not as strong as deep carbon rims though. To me that is more important than the stopping power which with Campagnolo Carbon pads are almost as good as aluminum rims. The roads around here are so bad that you have to be concerned about breaking a wheel.
Wider tires at lower pressure will help greatly and building a strong wheel will also help. Ultralight stuff is fine and dandy for smooth stuff under really light riders on light bikes but if you are breaking wheels often you need to find a stronger combo but running wide tires really helps a lot.
Old 06-27-22, 09:01 AM
cyclintom

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Wider tires at lower pressure will help greatly and building a strong wheel will also help. Ultralight stuff is fine and dandy for smooth stuff under really light riders on light bikes but if you are breaking wheels often you need to find a stronger combo but running wide tires really helps a lot.
If you look at the tire pressure guide at Silca or several other sites you would discover that larger tires are not much lower in pressure than narrow tires. the contact patch is controlled by your weight and not the tire size so to hold the size and shape of that patch the tire pressures have to be pretty close, Because of the conditions of the roads in the US now, Campy has started making wheels much stronger. I broke Neurons a couple of times and had to switch to Campy's stronger Neutrons. Wheels and/or spokes breaking entirely disappeared with deep carbon wheels. And braking had no loses under clincher carbon wheels with aluminum braking surfaces. I no longer even make an attempt at tubeless tires since they are heavier than a normal clincher tire with a tube in them.
Old 06-27-22, 11:31 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

In real world usage as I put wider tires on my bike I run them at lower pressures. Having run gone from 23 to 28 I could notice a difference for instance on the same bike and did progressively go lower in weight but this was before the Silca calculator and a lot of this stuff was as common.

I had a co-worker who ran campy wheels and he never had issues and he abused those suckers badly. However yes shorter spokes lead to a stronger wheel assuming you have enough of them.
Old 06-29-22, 07:48 AM
Ronwalker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm just an amateur, but this already sounds too cosmic, what's the point in such a brake?
Old 06-29-22, 04:45 PM
sw20

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
I use Swisstop Flash Evo Black Prince on my carbon wheels, can't say I noticed any difference in stopping power compared to my alloy wheels. My carbon wheels have only seen dry weather though!