Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.2

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.2

Old 07-01-22, 09:18 AM
  #10451  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 12,276

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2095 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 841 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09 View Post
Pretty pricey too. 8 grand for 105?!
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 View Post
They're not making multi tools out of hardened steel anymore?
Not that one anyway ...
ls01 is offline  
Old 07-01-22, 09:28 AM
  #10452  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 5,884

Bikes: Cervélo C2, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 2,311 Times in 1,006 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09 View Post
Pretty pricey too. 8 grand for 105?!

You are paying 8 grand for the R in SLR, not for the 105.

Price will come back down eventually.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 07-01-22, 10:59 AM
  #10453  
Mojo31
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 7,584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5756 Post(s)
Liked 3,509 Times in 1,933 Posts
There will be a Madone SL with 105 Di2 some day. Prolly just like Bams, but with different drive trains. Prolly less than Bam paid, too.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 07-01-22, 11:12 AM
  #10454  
Eric F
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 2,681

Bikes: 2019 Trek Procliber 9.9 SL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1594 Post(s)
Liked 2,447 Times in 1,204 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
This will be our 6th Fourth of July at this house. In the past there have been fireworks for weeks before and after the holiday. An absurd amount of fireworks. This year has been mostly quiet. A few loud explosions, sure, but the nightly house rattling, car alarm triggering barrage has been absent. My neighbor mentioned this lack of "world war three" as he put it and the only thing we could think of is it must be money. People are not buying the rockets or not driving to wherever they have to go to get them.

For years the city has had a hot line and supposedly enforcement but it never mattered.

I suppose it's possible they are hoarding their munitions for a hellish weekend ahead. We shall see.
Similar in my 'hood.

Enforcement of illegal fireworks activity is pretty ineffective. By the time cops show up in response to a report, people are long gone.
Eric F is offline  
Likes For Eric F:
Old 07-01-22, 11:16 AM
  #10455  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 19,839
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,268 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post
You are paying 8 grand for the R in SLR, not for the 105.

Price will come back down eventually.
What does the R mean? Is it a different frame?
big john is online now  
Old 07-01-22, 11:20 AM
  #10456  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 38,638

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20024 Post(s)
Liked 8,625 Times in 4,318 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
What does the R mean? Is it a different frame?
SLR are their best frames in a given model: best carbon/layup, often with features and/or geometry options not available in the SL.
WhyFi is offline  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-01-22, 11:42 AM
  #10457  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 12,276

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2095 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 841 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31 View Post
We had a cold front come through this week. Temp is down to 98 right now. Will ride about 7:00 as it should cool off to about 96 by then.
Brrrr, put on a sweater...
ls01 is offline  
Old 07-01-22, 11:43 AM
  #10458  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 38,433

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 526 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18237 Post(s)
Liked 5,220 Times in 2,559 Posts
Somehow my browser logged me out of BF. I got a glimpse of all the ads that non-paying members get. What a distraction!
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 07-01-22, 11:48 AM
  #10459  
Eric F
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 2,681

Bikes: 2019 Trek Procliber 9.9 SL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1594 Post(s)
Liked 2,447 Times in 1,204 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
What does the R mean? Is it a different frame?
It means you have to be Rich to afford it.
Eric F is offline  
Likes For Eric F:
Old 07-01-22, 11:57 AM
  #10460  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 19,839
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,268 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01 View Post
Brrrr, put on a sweater...
I went out and rode around for a couple hours this morning and it was in the high 70s when I started. It felt amazing to have cool air compared to riding into a hair dryer on Tuesday.
big john is online now  
Old 07-01-22, 12:02 PM
  #10461  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 5,884

Bikes: Cervélo C2, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 2,311 Times in 1,006 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Somehow my browser logged me out of BF. I got a glimpse of all the ads that non-paying members get. What a distraction!

It keeps me up at night.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 07-01-22, 12:04 PM
  #10462  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 5,884

Bikes: Cervélo C2, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 2,311 Times in 1,006 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
SLR are their best frames in a given model: best carbon/layup, often with features and/or geometry options not available in the SL.
Weight savings typically were not much. I think the new frame saves a lot of weight. Havnt gotten a chance to really do any research other than drool over the picture.


Im really interested in what the new emonda will look like and how light it will be in the future.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 07-01-22, 12:16 PM
  #10463  
indyfabz
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 34,830
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15909 Post(s)
Liked 10,155 Times in 4,950 Posts
Opening lines describe the current weather conditions here.

indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-01-22, 12:23 PM
  #10464  
indyfabz
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 34,830
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15909 Post(s)
Liked 10,155 Times in 4,950 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
This will be our 6th Fourth of July at this house. In the past there have been fireworks for weeks before and after the holiday. An absurd amount of fireworks. This year has been mostly quiet.
You know...I didn't think about it until I read your post but the same is true here. Two years ago was probably the worst, with last year being better. I don't think I have heard anything at all while out on my back deck. During the height of the pandemic there seemed like constant fireworks weeks before the holiday and for a good while afterwards. People were even shooting off rockets before dark, which seemed stupid to me.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 07-01-22, 12:23 PM
  #10465  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 21,344

Bikes: Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9328 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,352 Posts
When I was a wee bairn, we had a railroad track within 500' of my bed room window and a train would wake me up every night. I found the sound comforting. Many of the railroads have disappeared in my area and I miss the rumbling sound. Don't miss the crossings, though.
__________________

-Dennis T







Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 07-01-22, 12:33 PM
  #10466  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 19,839
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,268 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
You know...I didn't think about it until I read your post but the same is true here. Two years ago was probably the worst, with last year being better. I don't think I have heard anything at all while out on my back deck. During the height of the pandemic there seemed like constant fireworks weeks before the holiday and for a good while afterwards. People were even shooting off rockets before dark, which seemed stupid to me.
Exactly! I remember commenting to Mrs John how they were blowing their stuff up in daylight.
big john is online now  
Old 07-01-22, 12:36 PM
  #10467  
Mojo31
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 7,584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5756 Post(s)
Liked 3,509 Times in 1,933 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
When I was a wee bairn, we had a railroad track within 500' of my bed room window and a train would wake me up every night. I found the sound comforting. Many of the railroads have disappeared in my area and I miss the rumbling sound. Don't miss the crossings, though.
Its crazy how quiet the newer locomotives are.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 07-01-22, 12:36 PM
  #10468  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 19,839
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,268 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post
Weight savings typically were not much. I think the new frame saves a lot of weight. Havnt gotten a chance to really do any research other than drool over the picture.


Im really interested in what the new emonda will look like and how light it will be in the future.
2 Saturdays ago a friend showed up on a new Canyon and she said it was under the UCI limit, like 14 pounds or so. I picked it up, it was feathery.
big john is online now  
Old 07-01-22, 12:38 PM
  #10469  
Mojo31
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 7,584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5756 Post(s)
Liked 3,509 Times in 1,933 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post
Weight savings typically were not much. I think the new frame saves a lot of weight. Havnt gotten a chance to really do any research other than drool over the picture.


Im really interested in what the new emonda will look like and how light it will be in the future.
New frame and bars supposedly shed 300 grams. Gets it down to Emonda SL weight. Supposedly.

Brought up the desire for a lighter bike again as it seemed the door might be a bit open. If there was a crack, it was quickly slammed shut in my face.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 07-01-22, 12:51 PM
  #10470  
seedsbelize2
Used to be Seedsbelize
 
seedsbelize2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán. México
Posts: 2,102

Bikes: , 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31 View Post
New frame and bars supposedly shed 300 grams. Gets it down to Emonda SL weight. Supposedly.

Brought up the desire for a lighter bike again as it seemed the door might be a bit open. If there was a crack, it was quickly slammed shut in my face.
And you, my friend, have fallen unde the spell of our domestic overlords. *****whipped mayhap?
Go out and buy the damned thing!

Last edited by seedsbelize2; 07-01-22 at 01:05 PM.
seedsbelize2 is offline  
Old 07-01-22, 01:03 PM
  #10471  
Eric F
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 2,681

Bikes: 2019 Trek Procliber 9.9 SL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1594 Post(s)
Liked 2,447 Times in 1,204 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
2 Saturdays ago a friend showed up on a new Canyon and she said it was under the UCI limit, like 14 pounds or so. I picked it up, it was feathery.
Jeebus!! That's pretty darn light.
Eric F is offline  
Old 07-01-22, 01:13 PM
  #10472  
indyfabz
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 34,830
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15909 Post(s)
Liked 10,155 Times in 4,950 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
When I was a wee bairn, we had a railroad track within 500' of my bed room window and a train would wake me up every night. I found the sound comforting. Many of the railroads have disappeared in my area and I miss the rumbling sound. Don't miss the crossings, though.
Maybe a decade or so ago the federal government preempted the field of train horns at crossing because local government were creating a patchwork of rules that were not practical to follow. For example, a township might ban the use during certain hours, but a rail line could pass through that township, leave it then reenter it again a mere mile or two away. Way too confusing to comply with the patchwork. (Pennsylvania to a similar preemption approach to the use of phones while driving after more and more local governmental bodies started adopting their own rules.) Now, trains are required to sound their horns at public crossings unless what is known as a Quiet Zone has been established. I won't bore you with what it takes to establish one, but I will say that it is usually an expensive undertaking involving a traffic study and physical improvements to the crossing. And the municipality requesting the QZ has to pay for it all. I worked on a couple many years ago that required hundreds of thousands of dollars in improvements and payments for future maintenance for the railroad-related improvements. Things like signs and concrete median to dissuade people from driving around the gates were not included in the amounts. That is why you usually find them in well-off areas.

Not sure if I ever posted this video in this thread. I shot it when I heard a train approaching Rockwood, PA, which has a few crossings in town. I was camping across the river along the GAP trail during the second day of a cross-PA tour. Turn up the volume to simulate the effect. Turned out to be Amtrak's Capitol Limited from D.C. to Chicago, but there are a lot of freights that use that line.



I shot this one from my campsite after the first day of my 2019 tour in MT and ID.




indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-01-22, 01:24 PM
  #10473  
Mojo31
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 7,584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5756 Post(s)
Liked 3,509 Times in 1,933 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 View Post
And you, my friend, have fallen unde the spell of our domestic overlords. *****whipped mayhap?
Go out and buy the damned thing!
Not whipped as much as scared.

I get away with spending a lot on stuff I want, but I know when my physical and emotional happiness is at risk.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 07-01-22, 01:31 PM
  #10474  
Mojo31
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 7,584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5756 Post(s)
Liked 3,509 Times in 1,933 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Maybe a decade or so ago the federal government preempted the field of train horns at crossing because local government were creating a patchwork of rules that were not practical to follow. For example, a township might ban the use during certain hours, but a rail line could pass through that township, leave it then reenter it again a mere mile or two away. Way too confusing to comply with the patchwork. (Pennsylvania to a similar preemption approach to the use of phones while driving after more and more local governmental bodies started adopting their own rules.) Now, trains are required to sound their horns at public crossings unless what is known as a Quiet Zone has been established. I won't bore you with what it takes to establish one, but I will say that it is usually an expensive undertaking involving a traffic study and physical improvements to the crossing. And the municipality requesting the QZ has to pay for it all. I worked on a couple many years ago that required hundreds of thousands of dollars in improvements and payments for future maintenance for the railroad-related improvements. Things like signs and concrete median to dissuade people from driving around the gates were not included in the amounts. That is why you usually find them in well-off areas.

Not sure if I ever posted this video in this thread. I shot it when I heard a train approaching Rockwood, PA, which has a few crossings in town. I was camping across the river along the GAP trail during the second day of a cross-PA tour. Turn up the volume to simulate the effect. Turned out to be Amtrak's Capitol Limited from D.C. to Chicago, but there are a lot of freights that use that line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eBa1j8F0dk


I shot this one from my campsite after the first day of my 2019 tour in MT and ID.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH-E1yO7lw4
God bless ICCTA, right?

My first exposure to the wonderful world of railroad law: https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-5th-circuit/1592763.html. I represented Maalt, LP.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 07-01-22, 02:34 PM
  #10475  
indyfabz
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 34,830
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15909 Post(s)
Liked 10,155 Times in 4,950 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31 View Post
God bless ICCTA, right?

My first exposure to the wonderful world of railroad law: https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-5th-circuit/1592763.html. I represented Maalt, LP.
The FRA regs were issued under the Swift Rail Development Act.
indyfabz is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.