Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

52telecaster visiting PDX - Banks Vernonia ride with him on July 3!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

52telecaster visiting PDX - Banks Vernonia ride with him on July 3!

Old 06-30-22, 04:43 PM
  #51  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 10,506

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3265 Post(s)
Liked 3,171 Times in 1,979 Posts
Originally Posted by droppedandlost View Post
I think that's beyond my skill level, thanks though. Trying to work something out for VRJAKE's Bob Jackson...
Originally Posted by droppedandlost View Post
I'm in. New bike day too!
Paging Kabuki12
merziac is offline  
Old 06-30-22, 05:16 PM
  #52  
52telecaster
ambulatory senior
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 4,678

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, Falcon and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1410 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 769 Posts
We are leaving twin falls in the morning.

Hiking

And biking
52telecaster is online now  
Old 06-30-22, 05:31 PM
  #53  
Andy_K 
Senior Member
 
Andy_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 13,937

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 460 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2710 Post(s)
Liked 2,208 Times in 924 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie View Post
Well, if it's new bike day, I'll bring my latest.
In that case, I might have to up my game. I was going to just ride whatever had air in the tires, but maybe I should take advantage of this chance to ride on of my bikes that doesn't have low gearing. I haven't ridden the Masi in a while.

So what's the current roll call? Has anyone compiled a list?
__________________
My Bikes
Andy_K is offline  
Likes For Andy_K:
Old 06-30-22, 05:54 PM
  #54  
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland
Thread Starter
 
gugie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,558

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1168 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4039 Post(s)
Liked 3,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
In that case, I might have to up my game. I was going to just ride whatever had air in the tires, but maybe I should take advantage of this chance to ride on of my bikes that doesn't have low gearing. I haven't ridden the Masi in a while.

So what's the current roll call? Has anyone compiled a list?
Well, lessee

But those are their goodfella names.

Right now we've got @52telecaster
Sarah
me @Andy_K @RustyJames (still picking the flies outta his teeth) @ollo_ollo
@ VRJAKE @merziac @Insidious C. @droppedandlost
edit: @79pmooney

Fella could have a goodtime in Vegas with all them (I'm paraphrasing, actually).
__________________
If someone tells you that you have enough bicycles and you don't need any more, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Last edited by gugie; 07-01-22 at 08:14 AM.
gugie is online now  
Old 06-30-22, 09:51 PM
  #55  
52telecaster
ambulatory senior
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 4,678

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, Falcon and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1410 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie View Post
Well, lessee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD3y43cyddI

But those are their goodfella names.

Right now we've got
@52telecaster
Sarah
me
@Andy_K
@RustyJames (still picking the flies outta his teeth)
@ollo_ollo
@ VRJAKE
@merziac
@Insidious C.
@droppedandlost

Fella could have a goodtime in Vegas with all them (I'm paraphrasing, actually).
Btw, Sarah is Snowventure on this forum. It's been forever since she was on.
52telecaster is online now  
Old 06-30-22, 09:54 PM
  #56  
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland
Thread Starter
 
gugie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,558

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1168 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4039 Post(s)
Liked 3,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster View Post
Btw, Sarah is Snowventure on this forum. It's been forever since she was on.
Good to know, thx!
__________________
If someone tells you that you have enough bicycles and you don't need any more, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
gugie is online now  
Old 06-30-22, 10:05 PM
  #57  
52telecaster
ambulatory senior
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 4,678

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, Falcon and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1410 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 769 Posts
Actually snow_venture52 is her correct handle.
52telecaster is online now  
Old 06-30-22, 11:31 PM
  #58  
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,600

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3492 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,477 Posts
Haven't decided yet whether to ride all the way to Banks or Max part of it. Don't know how long either will take. So: don't wait up for me. (And no detours!) See y'all somewhere between Banks and Vernonia.
79pmooney is offline  
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-01-22, 07:40 AM
  #59  
RustyJames 
Senior Member
 
RustyJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 784

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie View Post
Well, lessee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD3y43cyddI

But those are their goodfella names.

Right now we've got
@52telecaster
Sarah
me
@Andy_K
@RustyJames (still picking the flies outta his teeth)
@ollo_ollo
@ VRJAKE
@merziac
@Insidious C.
@droppedandlost

Fella could have a goodtime in Vegas with all them (I'm paraphrasing, actually).
Teeth are cleaned and (mostly) presentable.
RustyJames is offline  
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 07-01-22, 08:13 AM
  #60  
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland
Thread Starter
 
gugie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,558

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1168 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4039 Post(s)
Liked 3,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney View Post
Haven't decided yet whether to ride all the way to Banks or Max part of it. Don't know how long either will take. So: don't wait up for me. (And no detours!) See y'all somewhere between Banks and Vernonia.
I'll make sure everyone downloads their route to their GPS device or carries a cue sheet. For those that would like to prep in advance, I'll post the cue sheet directions right here:

Mile 0 Start at the Banks trailhead for the Banks-Vernonia Trail, head north
Mile 21 Stop at Black Iron Grill for lunch, turn around
Mile 42 Arrive at Banks trailhead for the Banks-Vernonia Trail

note: updated previous post to add you!
__________________
If someone tells you that you have enough bicycles and you don't need any more, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
gugie is online now  
Likes For gugie:
Old 07-01-22, 04:49 PM
  #61  
Andy_K 
Senior Member
 
Andy_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 13,937

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 460 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2710 Post(s)
Liked 2,208 Times in 924 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie View Post
I'll make sure everyone downloads their route to their GPS device or carries a cue sheet. For those that would like to prep in advance, I'll post the cue sheet directions right here:

Mile 0 Start at the Banks trailhead for the Banks-Vernonia Trail, head north
Mile 21 Stop at Black Iron Grill for lunch, turn around
Mile 42 Arrive at Banks trailhead for the Banks-Vernonia Trail

note: updated previous post to add you!
You've just got to watch out for crazy guys who have been pointing out every twig and pebble on the entire trail making a sudden and unannounced turn in front of you to get off the trail in Vernonia.
__________________
My Bikes
Andy_K is offline  
Likes For Andy_K:
Old 07-01-22, 05:48 PM
  #62  
stardognine
Senior Member
 
stardognine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Sunny Sacramento.
Posts: 3,010

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 395 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster View Post

https://youtu.be/zy1yLJrcWAc.
As close as I'm going to get to playing a gig for u guys.
Believe it or not, I just now finally clicked your linky. Much respect bestowed upon you, sir, you can play. 😎😁😎

Louis Armstrong's version has always been a personal favorite. 👍
stardognine is offline  
Likes For stardognine:
Old 07-01-22, 07:30 PM
  #63  
52telecaster
ambulatory senior
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 4,678

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, Falcon and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1410 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 769 Posts
Just left my frameset at Gugies and he is a wonderful human being!
52telecaster is online now  
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 07-01-22, 07:32 PM
  #64  
52telecaster
ambulatory senior
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 4,678

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, Falcon and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1410 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine View Post
Believe it or not, I just now finally clicked your linky. Much respect bestowed upon you, sir, you can play. 😎😁😎

Louis Armstrong's version has always been a personal favorite. 👍
Well ty very much.
52telecaster is online now  
Old 07-02-22, 08:39 AM
  #65  
52telecaster
ambulatory senior
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 4,678

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, Falcon and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1410 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 769 Posts
At stubb stewart very near the trail.

I rode the supercourse to the campsite. Sarah does not like gravel and 35s.
52telecaster is online now  
Old 07-02-22, 09:43 AM
  #66  
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland
Thread Starter
 
gugie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,558

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1168 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4039 Post(s)
Liked 3,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K View Post
You've just got to watch out for crazy guys who have been pointing out every twig and pebble on the entire trail making a sudden and unannounced turn in front of you to get off the trail in Vernonia.
Man, 5 years later they still bring it up.
__________________
If someone tells you that you have enough bicycles and you don't need any more, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
gugie is online now  
Likes For gugie:
Old 07-02-22, 11:09 AM
  #67  
SquireBlack 
Junior Member
 
SquireBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Posts: 150

Bikes: '66 Lygie, '02 Rivendell Atlantis, '03 Air Friday, '21 Black Shadow Campeur

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster View Post
Just left my frameset at Gugies and he is a wonderful human being!
Fooled you too, huh? They don't call him the Bike Butcher of Portland for nothin'.
SquireBlack is offline  
Likes For SquireBlack:
Old 07-02-22, 09:06 PM
  #68  
RustyJames 
Senior Member
 
RustyJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 784

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by SquireBlack View Post
Fooled you too, huh? They don't call him the Bike Butcher of Portland for nothin'.
Ahhh, but a good butcher knows how to get the best from what seems like it should be ground and sent off to be turned into dog food or Applebees.
RustyJames is offline  
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 07-02-22, 11:04 PM
  #69  
52telecaster
ambulatory senior
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 4,678

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, Falcon and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1410 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 769 Posts
Sarah and I went to the museum today, left the car there and rode all over town. Great bicycling town! Portland is awesome.


52telecaster is online now  
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 07-03-22, 08:24 AM
  #70  
aggiegrads
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sherwood, OR
Posts: 1,252
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 279 Times in 164 Posts
Is there a late entry fee?

I am coming off of injury and a long no-riding stretch, so I am going to meet you guys at the Manning trail head. That will cut off 8 or nine miles and still give me the full downhill. If I am not there at 10, roll through and I will meet you at the Buxton trail head to spare you having to wait for me up the 2% grade all the way between the trail heads.
aggiegrads is offline  
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 07-03-22, 09:14 AM
  #71  
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland
Thread Starter
 
gugie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,558

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1168 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4039 Post(s)
Liked 3,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads View Post
Is there a late entry fee?

I am coming off of injury and a long no-riding stretch, so I am going to meet you guys at the Manning trail head. That will cut off 8 or nine miles and still give me the full downhill. If I am not there at 10, roll through and I will meet you at the Buxton trail head to spare you having to wait for me up the 2% grade all the way between the trail heads.
Steve, more than welcome to join as a late entry, if you want to buy me a beer in Vernonina we'll call it even.
__________________
If someone tells you that you have enough bicycles and you don't need any more, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
gugie is online now  
Likes For gugie:
Old 07-03-22, 09:21 AM
  #72  
stardognine
Senior Member
 
stardognine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Sunny Sacramento.
Posts: 3,010

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 395 Times in 292 Posts
Ha, I see you found Powell's. 😁 I mentioned before, in some thread or the'nother, that I helped move Powell's book store, into their current location. This was back in the late 1980s, before all the homeless people showed up, lol.
That place is huge, and it took a couple weeks, with maybe about 100 people, to move all those books. 🤔

BTW, if you have time, the old Amtrak station is well worth seeing. 👍

Last edited by stardognine; 07-03-22 at 09:26 AM.
stardognine is offline  
Likes For stardognine:
Old 07-03-22, 11:07 AM
  #73  
RustyJames 
Senior Member
 
RustyJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 784

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine View Post
Ha, I see you found Powell's. 😁 I mentioned before, in some thread or the'nother, that I helped move Powell's book store, into their current location. This was back in the late 1980s, before all the homeless people showed up, lol.
That place is huge, and it took a couple weeks, with maybe about 100 people, to move all those books. 🤔

BTW, if you have time, the old Amtrak station is well worth seeing. 👍
Be careful around the train station. Massive homeless camps but it is a nice station.
RustyJames is offline  
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 07-03-22, 04:32 PM
  #74  
52telecaster
ambulatory senior
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 4,678

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, Falcon and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1410 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 769 Posts
Had a great time on the ride and whomever bought the beer rocks.

Waiting for the bike forums crew.

The whole crew and an excellent bikes and bridges shot.

Strongest 80 year old I know.
52telecaster is online now  
Old 07-03-22, 08:46 PM
  #75  
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland
Thread Starter
 
gugie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,558

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1168 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4039 Post(s)
Liked 3,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
Great turnout, thanks to all that came!
@Andy_K, @ollo_ollo, @aggiegrads, @droppedandlost (all the way from Seattle), @merziac, @SquireBlack, @VRJAKE, @RustyJames (met us in Vernonia for lunch with his son), @Insidious C., @79pmooney, a friend of @SquireBlack that I've alredy forgotten name of, and of course our guest from Peoria, IL @52telecaster and his better half, @snow_venture52

Most rode the entirety of the 42 mile out and back course. 12 riders, excellent turnout. Mid-60's, topping out around 70 and overcast, perfect riding weather, great group of people.

Meeting BF members from other parts of the country is always a pleasure.
__________________
If someone tells you that you have enough bicycles and you don't need any more, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
gugie is online now  
Likes For gugie:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.