Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Raleigh folding 16 inch

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Raleigh folding 16 inch

Old 01-17-17, 07:02 AM
Mr. Rick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raleigh folding 16 inch

I am curious if anyone has seen or heard of a Raleigh folding bike with 16 inch wheels. I found it in an antique shop. Clean lots of chrome 3 speed. Handle bars are Schwinn high rise ape hangers. But Raleigh head badge, paint is good?Any ideas as to year might have been rebuilt professionally but great to ride 3 speed strumey archer hub works perfect.
Old 01-17-17, 08:03 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 76 Posts
RSW model Raleighs were 16 inch wheeled. If you search RSW you will find pictures. You need pictures for age but they were made starting in the 1960s. Roger
Old 01-17-17, 12:48 PM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Classic and Vintage has a few threads on folders.

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 01-17-17, 01:13 PM
mconlonx 
Str*t*gic *quivoc*tor

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 7071 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 63 Posts
Old 01-17-17, 03:48 PM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 43 Posts
Raleigh RSW-16 Compact (Raleigh Small Wheel Folder)

Originally Posted by Mr. Rick View Post
I am curious if anyone has seen or heard of a Raleigh folding bike with 16 inch wheels. I found it in an antique shop. Clean lots of chrome 3 speed. Handle bars are Schwinn high rise ape hangers. But Raleigh head badge, paint is good?Any ideas as to year might have been rebuilt professionally but great to ride 3 speed strumey archer hub works perfect.
Hey @Mr. Rick I have one of these. They're great, but weigh a TON. Mine even came with the original white 16x2-inch Dunlops and the original tartan rack-bag (as in the picture @mconlonx posted - though the one in the picture is of a non-folding RSW-16). You can see the difference when looking at mine (a folding RSW-16). There is a bolt/pivot at the base of the main frame tube and there is also a know at the base of the handlebars which allow them to fold.

Likes For CriticalThought:
Old 07-02-22, 06:12 PM
CeSwan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
----CeSwan---- Hey bro, a friend of mine has one of these. Has all the bells and whistles, white walls too. Been trying to help him restore it. The three speed shift cable came out, the seat needs to be reapholstered, the chrome fenders look like my dad's from the west coast. Salt water rust. But it is sixteen inch, folds, brakes work. I've always been a fan of Raleigh, glad to see they had their own version of the stingray. I saw too many of these small bikes ruined by home mechanics on the west coast turning these type into lowrider bikes. It's awesome the way it is.
Old 07-03-22, 11:30 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 482 Posts
Any ideas as to year...?
(Five-year-old thread - I know that gets some folks' knickers in a twist.) For anyone in a similar situation, the Sturmey-Archer hub will have a MM-YY date code stamped on it. The bike will have been assembled shortly afterward.