Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Schwinn High Plains Conversion

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-21, 07:17 PM
Basstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts

I’m a relatively new rider and have an older (approximately 1993) but pristine High Plains MTB that I want to use for rails to trails type riding which of course will be crushed gravel, single and double track, some mud, etc., but no MTB. I’m beyond the age for that.

The current tires are 26” x 1.75” with street tread and are basically new as I replaced the MTB tires thinking I would use this for some casual riding on paved bike paths with friends.

Now, although I never thought it would happen I’m in love with the sport and have purchased an All Road drop bar bike for paved and want to use this older Schwinn for long rail trail tours.

Should I use the current tires or should I replace them with something more in the 2” width category for a more comfy ride on lower air pressure and perhaps a tire with a little bit of tread?

Thanks so very much and any opinions and suggestions are truly appreciated.
Old 08-10-21, 07:30 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Knowing what tires you're running would help, but 1.75s are plenty wide and lots of cushion for rail trails. Many people ride rail trails with road bikes running 25 or 28mm tires.

While 1.75s are plenty of tire, if you're running slicks and encounter mud..you might slip around a bit. If you have any amount of moderate tread you should be ok.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 08-10-21, 07:38 PM
Basstar

Thanks

Originally Posted by fishboat
Knowing what tires you're running would help, but 1.75s are plenty wide and lots of cushion for rail trails. Many people ride rail trails with road bikes running 25 or 28mm tires.

While 1.75s are plenty of tire, if you're running slicks and encounter mud..you might slip around a bit. If you have any amount of moderate tread you should be ok.
Thanks so much.

These are just inexpensive very basic tires with a bit of tread running in the direction of the tire. I forget the brand.

Again your input is much appreciated.
Old 08-10-21, 08:19 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Then you need new tires. Tires make a HUGE difference in how a bike feels and runs. Life is too short to run tires that suck. Do a search in thread titles for 26 inch tires. There's a couple good threads that can give you an idea of what's available and why people them. When I get better access I can post links.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 08-11-21, 05:04 AM
Basstar

Another Question

Question: Has anyone here done a similar conversion on a High Plains?

If so what size tires can I use?

As I recall the bike came with 1.85” or 1.95” knobby so I’m thinking 2” will be safe.

Can I go larger with tire clearance?
Old 08-11-21, 06:11 AM
fishboat

For tires..this is a good start
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...el-thread.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...ke-faster.html

If you search the forum for 26 inch tire threads go to search, advanced search and enter (with quotes) "26 tire" and you get lots of hits.

I converted a Trek 970 mountain bike to a tourer (drop bar bike) and run Schwalbe Big Ben tires (26x2.1)..love them. Cushy, easy rolling tire. Bike24 in Germany has good prices and inventory.

You can search within the thread below(look for search link upper left when you open this thread) for High Plains or Schwinn. Questions within the thread below should also help.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nversions.html

A search within the touring forum below for "MTB" in titles will yield a large number of threads with good info.

If you mean by "conversion" the conversion of your High Plains to a drop bar bike with STI shifters with front and back racks for panniers, then the cost and challenges you'll meet will depend on what components are on your bike now. The links and searches above will offer lots of info.

One more that's useful and can save you some money:
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...ront-rack.html
Likes For fishboat:
Old 08-11-21, 06:19 AM
fishboat

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post15190721

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post15440138

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post15477503

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post15522956

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post15527022

Looks like many High Plains have been done:
https://www.bikeforums.net/search.php?searchid=12235437

Search within the MTB conversion thread for Plains, you'll get the search results above.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 08-11-21, 06:21 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Basstar

Can I go larger with tire clearance?
How much tire clearance do you have now? Measure it. That will tell you how much wider you can go with your tires.
26 x 1.75 is plenty wide for most rail trails that I have seen, why not just try them to start with? No cost involved
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 08-11-21, 06:37 AM
Basstar

Thanks

Originally Posted by alcjphil
How much tire clearance do you have now? Measure it. That will tell you how much wider you can go with your tires.
26 x 1.75 is plenty wide for most rail trails that I have seen, why not just try them to start with? No cost involved
Thanks so much everyone.

This may be my starting point and I’ll spend money on bags for the touring.

However I am going to look at some tire ideas as I can sell these tires to at least offset the price of new ones as I would like eventually to get wider tires for a softer ride and a bit of grippy tread.

I just wasn’t certain if I should get wider tires necessarily. .

Again thanks for all of this excellent info.
Old 08-11-21, 06:46 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I’m a relatively new rider and have an older (approximately 1993) but pristine High Plains MTB that I want to use for rails to trails type riding which of course will be crushed gravel, single and double track, some mud, etc., but no MTB. I’m beyond the age for that.

The current tires are 26” x 1.75” with street tread and are basically new as I replaced the MTB tires thinking I would use this for some casual riding on paved bike paths with friends.

Now, although I never thought it would happen I’m in love with the sport and have purchased an All Road drop bar bike for paved and want to use this older Schwinn for long rail trail tours.

Should I use the current tires or should I replace them with something more in the 2” width category for a more comfy ride on lower air pressure and perhaps a tire with a little bit of tread?

Thanks so very much and any opinions and suggestions are truly appreciated.

I think the 26x1.75's will work just fine on rail trails. That's what I've got on my gravel bike and they're plenty wide enough and cushiony enough to provide a decent ride. They work just fine on the crushed limestone rail trail I ride on occasion.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 08-11-21, 08:27 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I have two bikes that I ride on rail trails. One is a TREK 4500 mountain/Hybrid with 1.75" Panaracer street tires the other is a mid 80s Asian steel road bike with 700x28 road tires (Conti Gatorskins). Some sections of the trails I use are a bit difficult for the 28s but the 1.75s are more than enough. I ride about 300 miles of rail trail per month, my typical ride is 40-50 miles long. In my opinion just ride your Schwinn the way it is until the wheels fall off. At that point you will know exactly what you will want to replace it with.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 08-11-21, 08:37 AM
Basstar

Originally Posted by Thomas15
I have two bikes that I ride on rail trails. One is a TREK 4500 mountain/Hybrid with 1.75" Panaracer street tires the other is a mid 80s Asian steel road bike with 700x28 road tires (Conti Gatorskins). Some sections of the trails I use are a bit difficult for the 28s but the 1.75s are more than enough. I ride about 300 miles of rail trail per month, my typical ride is 40-50 miles long. In my opinion just ride your Schwinn the way it is until the wheels fall off. At that point you will know exactly what you will want to replace it with.
Cool. This is exactly how I envision using this bike as well as the distances covered.

Thanks so very much.
Old 08-11-21, 08:52 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Cool. This is exactly how I envision using this bike as well as the distances covered.

Thanks so very much.
May I mention that the only things I take with me are tubes and tools in an under seat bag, air pump, two water bottles a few energy bars and $20. A cell phone and GPS bike computer, my bikes have SPD clip in pedals and I use road shorts and jerseys. I want to be able to make simple repairs on a ride but would not take anything requiring bags on anything less than a multi-day trip. I have done btw, one day 80 mile rail trail rides with nothing more than what I just mentioned. I'm at the point in my life where I'm not camping in a tent on the ground so if I needed anything more for a multi day ride I would stay in some kind of place or have the comforts of civilization staged for my use when needed I would not carry it with me on my bike but that is just me.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 08-11-21, 08:53 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Re. tread -
You need very little tread for rail trail riding. My favourite tires have what is called a 'file tread' and I do most of my miles on rail trails.

https://road.cc/content/review/23413...t-folding-tyre
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 08-11-21, 01:53 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
I'd go ride some trails before you do anything. Conditions on trails can vary quite a bit and you may find you're totally comfortable with what you have and if you're not, you'll have a better idea of what you need.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 08-12-21, 03:38 AM
Basstar

Much Appreciated

Thanks so very much everyone for sharing your insight and experience.

The common theme here appears to be to ride it as it is until and if I see some needed improvements.

I’ll do just that.

Thomas15, like you I’m at the point (I’m in my mid 60’s) that I’m not sleeping on the ground. Been there done that……a lot.

Also I’m a minimalist by nature so I like the idea of traveling without bags and a lot of stuff.

I guess I had seen those setups on the YT videos and assumed the bags, etc. we’re necessary.

I’ll will ride with only the same items I carry on pavement.

I tried to share a photo of the bike but am a new member here and am not allowed to share photos yet.

Everyone have a super weekend and again thank you.

Last edited by Basstar; 08-12-21 at 03:46 AM.
Old 08-12-21, 07:27 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Eagerly awaiting photos and further stories of your rail-trail adventures.
Likes For Maelochs: