Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Leather Saddle Rain Cover?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 05-06-22, 05:29 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts

My cover leaks! And with our next tour starting to take shape I thought it would beca good time to find a new cover. My touring bike has a Gile Bertroud saddle.
So let me know whst works for you!
Thanks
Old 05-06-22, 06:03 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I do not think any coated nylon will stay waterproof forever when used for a saddle cover. I have used a variety of covers over the years, sometimes when I suspected one leaked, I put some thin plastic over the saddle under the cover. Something like the thin plastic bags that you put your fruits and vegies in at the produce section. If you are nervous, use thicker plastic.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 05-06-22, 08:12 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
I've had good luck with Aardvark saddle covers; I can usually get a couple weeks' riding before they start to leak.

A couple additional notes. First, I don't need a saddle cover unless I'm riding without a rain jacket, it's raining hard, I'm drenched in sweat on a a long ride (more than an hour, say), or the bike is outside without me on it when it might rain. Second, for the lonely bike in the rain scenario, a grocery bag held in place by an old, leaking Aardvark keeps the saddle dry. (Note where I live isn't progressive enough to require deforestation to provide grocery bags.)
Old 05-06-22, 08:26 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 1,248 Times in 721 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
My cover leaks! And with our next tour starting to take shape I thought it would beca good time to find a new cover. My touring bike has a Gile Bertroud saddle.
Thanks
Shower cap from Walmart or Target. I have the cover from Brooks, but use it mainly when transporting the bike long distance on the bike rack. For day to day use, and on tour, the shower cap works great, packs small, and is effective. Oh, and they are cheap and readily replaceable. I even bough some one day on tour in a Dollar Store.
Likes For phughes:
Old 05-06-22, 08:32 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Shower cap from Walmart or Target. I have the cover from Brooks, but use it mainly when transporting the bike long distance on the bike rack. For day to day use, and on tour, the shower cap works great, packs small, and is effective. Oh, and they are cheap and readily replaceable. I even bough some one day on tour in a Dollar Store.
Shower cap from a hotel works too. I won’t say they are cheaper because you have to pay for the room.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-06-22, 08:35 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Thanks
If the shower cap/plastic bag look isn’t for you, you can get Brooks covers for around $14. REI says they have them.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-06-22, 09:16 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Checked REI and they don't show.
How about Ardvark?
Old 05-06-22, 02:42 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
Another advantage to a simple plastic shower cap as a saddle cover is that in a pinch, it can be used as a helmet cover when it is raining or it can also be used to keep your head surprisingly warmer if it is chilly outside by blocking those vents.

Just don't count on getting any style points with a shower cap as a helmet cover.
Old 05-06-22, 04:23 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
I use a cheap plastic bag. I start with one and save the ones I get buying groceries and snacks at convenience stores. On the C&O, I put items in the panniers in separate bags, just to be safe. I also use the bags for collecting my trash, as I ride, and as I break camp. I have learned to value them since Vermont no longer allows grocery stores to give them away.
Old 05-06-22, 10:29 PM
cyccommute 

Checked REI and they don't show.
How about Ardvark?

Sorry, not Brooks. They are Planet Bike. They are close to the same as the Brooks I have. If you need Brooks, Performance has them for $11.

Old 05-06-22, 11:12 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
Order the one from Berthoud
Old 05-07-22, 07:07 AM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
I have had good luck with a Serfas seat cover. In fact, I use a cover mostly to camouflage my Brooks saddle.

https://www.amazon.com/Serfas-SCB-1-.../dp/B001SJQCL8
Old 05-07-22, 07:46 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
I have an old Brooks rain cover, but got my wife a newer one (might be planet bike) but hers is nicer because it has more material and a draw string that nearly closes it up underneath the seat. Better for less water gunk getting thrown up if no fenders.
my Brooks one does fit well with elasticized edges, but more material would be nice.
I've been meaning to get myself one, but haven't gotten around to it all these years.

Overnight outside bike storage when camping, I put a plastic bag with a clip on top of my seat cover. If it's rains really heavily it's simple insurance.
clip or twist tie stops bag coming off in with high winds. Has happened.
I always too have a spare plastic bag in my panniers, again, easy insurance.
Old 05-07-22, 08:25 AM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I have tried several and for the cost/benefit, I am a strong proponent of the cheap shower caps. A pack of 3 cost $1, they last for about 12 hours of riding and months of overnight protection, and are easy to find at a Walmart or dollar store. Sure they look silly but so what.
Likes For John N:
Old 05-07-22, 11:10 AM
djb

the main advantage of the bespoke ones is that they stay on properly, both due to the shape and fit, tight around the sides etc and also the velcro bit that you put through the rear part of the rail.
I find this aspect worth it
Old 05-07-22, 12:20 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Selle Anatomica, wraps top and bottom with just a passage for the seatpost:
Old 05-07-22, 12:25 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Hmph! Carradice of Nelson has apparently discontinued their saddle cover. These uniquely had reinforced passageways for the saddle's bag loops/saddlebag straps.

Last edited by tcs; 05-09-22 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-07-22, 02:16 PM
djb

Originally Posted by tcs
Selle Anatomica, wraps top and bottom with just a passage for the seatpost:
ouch 50 Canuck bucks+shipping, so probably 60 clams. Thats a lotta dough for a rain cover.
Old 05-07-22, 03:48 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by djb
ouch 50 Canuck bucks+shipping, so probably 60 clams. Thats a lotta dough for a rain cover.
If I'd purchased one and was defending my decision, I'd utter a platitude like "buy cheap, buy twice".

But heck, I don't own one. Yeah, Selle Anatomic is proud of all their stuff.
Old 05-07-22, 05:06 PM
djb

I get buying good quality gear, but seems to me the ones we have were in the 15-20 range Canadian, and have held up well for a good bunch of years.
Old 05-09-22, 04:46 AM
muse kidd

Bikes: 1979 Trek 412, 2011 Dawes Ultra Galaxy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Seems like the majority of (us) go the shower cap route. The ones I buy here in the UK generally are double layered (one water-proof outer layer with decorative flourishes for the fashionable bather and one inner plastic layer providing double protection from water damaging your latest hair-do). My lovely black & white paisley print now features additional decorative panels of shiney grey duct-tape, which along with the additional styling, this also assists to prolong the life of my most necessary cycling accoutrement.

Last edited by muse kidd; 05-09-22 at 04:47 AM. Reason: spelling corrections
Likes For muse kidd:
Old 05-09-22, 10:44 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 1,248 Times in 721 Posts
Originally Posted by muse kidd
Seems like the majority of (us) go the shower cap route. The ones I buy here in the UK generally are double layered (one water-proof outer layer with decorative flourishes for the fashionable bather and one inner plastic layer providing double protection from water damaging your latest hair-do). My lovely black & white paisley print now features additional decorative panels of shiney grey duct-tape, which along with the additional styling, this also assists to prolong the life of my most necessary cycling accoutrement.
Yes, a shower cap works very well, and is quick and easy to put on. It is a cheap and effective solution, and stores very small. Don't get me wrong, I do have a Brooks seat cover, but it is generally used when I am transporting the bike on a bike rack, other than that, I usually use the shower cap. I did use the Brooks cover when I commuted and had to park it outside on windy, rainy days, but then again, other days I simply used the shower cap. It's nice to have a fitted cover like the one made by Brooks, but they take more time to put on, and are no more effective than the simple shower cap.

Your double layer cap sound very nice. Personalized with duct tape is even better.
Old 05-09-22, 04:22 PM
Rgv700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have used Glad Bowl covers