Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Changing BB on 2014 Cannondale Scalpel 29er

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-22, 05:22 PM
cstar 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 14 Posts

Hey guys,

I am in need of some advice and guidance on a project I'm helping a friend with. I will add pictures later today or tomorrow to make things clearer, but I want to get this thread rolling. He has a 2014 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 29er. He wants to change from a 2x to a 1x. He currently has a Deore XT crank (original to the bike) which uses the smaller size spindle common to press fit BB's. He bought a Sram NX Eagle DUB groupset which has a 1x crank with the newer, larger 30mm spindle. He has a 73mm shell, and the crank is intended for a 73mm shell. The groupset did not include a BB for whatever reason, so I'm trying to figure out what we need.

The carbon BB shell has black aluminum cups pressed or glued into it which the bearings for his old crank press into. My main question is: are these cups removable? Can they be pressed out, or are they glued to the frame's BB shell? We believe that the Sram DUB 30 BB would be right for his new crank, but it's clearly not going to fit with the cups from the old BB in there.

I apologize if this is a dumb question. I just figure this is a real better-safe-than-sorry scenario. I have a decent amount of experience wrenching on bikes and plenty with automotive work, but not so much with press fit BB's, carbon, and other cycling gear far nicer and newer than what I have 😎

If those cups are not removable, I've come up with a work around, but removing them would offer an easier solution, if possible.

Thanks