Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Where do year round touring folks tour during the winter months?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Where do year round touring folks tour during the winter months?

Old 07-28-19, 06:57 PM
RandomlyWest

Bikes: 2021 Batch Mountain Bicycle, 1989 Schwinn Impact, 2018 Micargi Avant, 1985 Asahi 790, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 2021 SE Lager

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
A 13,235-Mile Road Trip for 70-Degree Weather Every Day

Seen this article? May be worth a look.

https://www.citylab.com/environment/...ry-day/411406/
Likes For RandomlyWest:
Old 07-28-19, 07:50 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RandomlyWest

Thank you. This is exactly something of what I was looking for. Not recreate the wheel and now I instantly have a visual locked in.

This is interesting...I wonder how many folks know this, take advantage of this, or actually do this exactly.

So technically, I should be coming down out of Alaska right about now and entering back in the mainland. I actually want to do this. I can either find a cheap way up with my stuff and gear and catch it where I should be and just start following it, or I can create my own path for the remainder of this year, doing something similar in that region, but looping back around and connecting back up with it by October 1, and then following it out for the remainder of this year, into next year. That will allow me to fully acclimate, see the U.S. like I wanted, and then I will be so adjusted to it I can do the rest of the world if still wanting to.

Thank you for this.
Old 07-28-19, 09:48 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Jedi

I know you mentioned Australia, but Australia is one of the more expensive countries in the world to visit. So I do want to see it at some point, but I would need to include it in a pass through rather than go spend a winter there because of the cost of living.

If we really only live once, and I will never get a chance to do this again because of age, health, commitments, tragedy, whatever...then I want to go do this. So what places should I be focused on, for what months, in a continuous path if possible, in the most affordable way?

For as much resources out there that there is, and for as long as I have read this stuff, I don't honestly recall coming across folks directly talking about, "this is how I year round tour and avoid weather..." kind of thing.

I don't have expectations, just trying to understand logically if that is doable, or do I need to start thinking about bike/flying more than just continuous touring?
Australia is only expensive for tourists. For those of us living here, it's not bad. And it depends where you go and what you do. If you insist on trying to stay in a city like Sydney or Melbourne it is going to be very expensive ... but if you get out in the country, there are lots of places you could camp for free.

If you want to travel outside of your own country which is, I assume, the US ... first let us know how old you are and what kind of educational background you have. That will help us give you tips.
Old 07-29-19, 07:29 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Australia is only expensive for tourists. For those of us living here, it's not bad. And it depends where you go and what you do. If you insist on trying to stay in a city like Sydney or Melbourne it is going to be very expensive ... but if you get out in the country, there are lots of places you could camp for free.

If you want to travel outside of your own country which is, I assume, the US ... first let us know how old you are and what kind of educational background you have. That will help us give you tips.
Age = 50. Fairly well educated, but not the brightest crayon in the box.

Why does education matter for survival tips? (curious)

Last edited by Bike Jedi; 07-29-19 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-29-19, 07:40 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Age = 50. Fairly well educated, in the top 5% of the world on the matter if I had to guess, but not the brightest crayon in the box.

Why does education matter for survival tips? (curious)

If you were under 30 you could do working holidays to quite a number of countries. You could plan a holiday to take in the good weather in various spots around the world and could find work there, following the legal protocols, of course.

But that's not an option for you.

So the next option is whether or not you'd be eligible to immigrate. Education is a big factor in that.

If you're able to immigrate to a southern hemisphere country, you could set up a base there and keep a base in your current country and then you've got the option of doing 6 months and 6 months in the conditions you prefer. And you could work to bolster the budget a bit to allow you to travel to other places around each place.

Of course another option would be to travel as close to the equator as possible.
Old 07-29-19, 12:29 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
I don't think the OP ever said anything about wanting to emigrate from the USA or desiring to work.

Also, "as close to the equator as possible" isn't a good plan, either, given what the OP wrote. I've toured in equatorial areas, and the heat and humidity is usually pretty bad, generally worse than the southeastern USA in the summer. The OP has stated he wants to avoid that. OTOH, I've toured in northern Thailand and northern Laos in January/February, and the weather is nearly ideal for touring during that period and meets the OP's stated requirements. The northern parts of those 2 countries are sufficiently far from the equator that for 3 months of the year (Dec-Feb), the temperatures are much cooler than the rest of the year which is typically uncomfortably hot & humid. Dec-Feb is also the dry season in northern Thailand & Laos. I've toured in places near sea level closer to the equator such as central Thailand & Malaysia, and it's hot & humid year-round unless you're at altitude. The Yucatan in Mexico is another area that's far enough from the equator that it has comfortable temperatures from Dec. to Feb., but is very hot & humid the rest of the year. Central Mexico also has pretty good touring weather during the North American winter, too. Although I toured in Colombia (which is close to the equator) this past Jan/Feb, I was always at altitude (between 5,000 ft/1600m & 9,000 ft/2700m), so the temperature wasn't exceedingly hot. If I had chosen to ride in a couple of deep valleys in Colombia, then I would have had very hot & humid equatorial conditions. I preferred the mountain scenery, though it was very challenging riding at times.
Likes For axolotl:
Old 07-29-19, 11:12 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
If you were under 30 you could do working holidays to quite a number of countries. You could plan a holiday to take in the good weather in various spots around the world and could find work there, following the legal protocols, of course.

But that's not an option for you.
No but I have thought of volunteer opportunities to keep traveling.

You could set up a base there and keep a base in your current country and then you've got the option of doing 6 months and 6 months in the conditions you prefer.
Have thought about doing a couple months at a time in a place, even 6 months, and then moving on, but I never thought of setting up two base camps. That's a brilliant idea!

Thanks for your input. I like some of your ideas and need to think some more about the 2 base camp thing
Old 07-29-19, 11:16 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by axolotl
I don't think the OP ever said anything about wanting to emigrate from the USA or desiring to work.

Also, "as close to the equator as possible" isn't a good plan, either, given what the OP wrote. I've toured in equatorial areas, and the heat and humidity is usually pretty bad, generally worse than the southeastern USA in the summer. The OP has stated he wants to avoid that. OTOH, I've toured in northern Thailand and northern Laos in January/February, and the weather is nearly ideal for touring during that period and meets the OP's stated requirements. The northern parts of those 2 countries are sufficiently far from the equator that for 3 months of the year (Dec-Feb), the temperatures are much cooler than the rest of the year which is typically uncomfortably hot & humid. Dec-Feb is also the dry season in northern Thailand & Laos. I've toured in places near sea level closer to the equator such as central Thailand & Malaysia, and it's hot & humid year-round unless you're at altitude. The Yucatan in Mexico is another area that's far enough from the equator that it has comfortable temperatures from Dec. to Feb., but is very hot & humid the rest of the year. Central Mexico also has pretty good touring weather during the North American winter, too. Although I toured in Colombia (which is close to the equator) this past Jan/Feb, I was always at altitude (between 5,000 ft/1600m & 9,000 ft/2700m), so the temperature wasn't exceedingly hot. If I had chosen to ride in a couple of deep valleys in Colombia, then I would have had very hot & humid equatorial conditions. I preferred the mountain scenery, though it was very challenging riding at times.
Thanks...there is some good information in here. I need to go focus on this info when I have some more time to process it. Thanks
Old 07-30-19, 06:01 AM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by RandomlyWest

Very cool. The only downside is in June where the average daily mileage is 129 miles per day. Otherwise, nice. I personally would like to see a 75 degree route as I like it a tad warmer than 70 average which means it could swing into the low 60s I would guess.
Old 08-04-19, 10:21 AM
Teamdarb

Bikes: 94' Barracuda A2M, 83 Ross 294 signature, 93 MB3, '87 BS 300 mixte, '86 420, '12 Trek 520, 92 720 and more

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I doubt you will get many responses here from folks who "actually live on their bikes and it's their only way of life".
I do. Since 2011. I end up in the same seasonal loop each year somehow. My winters seem to occure in Maine. It started with volunteering one year. That has led to autum pilgrimages annually. I swap bikes obviously. This year I am aiming for a southern Texas winter despite all the political blah blah. Volunteering can lead to some fun times and networking you would have not been able to on your own.
Old 08-06-19, 10:07 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Oh jesus
Old 08-06-19, 11:29 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Teamdarb
I do. Since 2011. I end up in the same seasonal loop each year somehow. My winters seem to occure in Maine. It started with volunteering one year. That has led to autum pilgrimages annually. I swap bikes obviously. This year I am aiming for a southern Texas winter despite all the political blah blah. Volunteering can lead to some fun times and networking you would have not been able to on your own.
Where do you keep your bike collection ?

Last edited by ironwood; 08-06-19 at 11:30 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 08-06-19, 10:49 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Where do folks who tour year round consistently, ride during the winter months to avoid cold weather?

If you are in the U.S. where do you go during December, January, February, and March? Does everyone really go to places like Arizona? Are there places bike touring folks seem to migrate the most during winter months if you stay mainland without dealing with the cold at all? What does that look like exactly?
Not many spots in USA that don't get cold sometimes. I've been in central/coastal Florida when it was 38° F & raining. I think the main thing is to avoid snow. In dry weather, 40°'s can be quite pleasant for cycling. Short winter days give less daylight for riding though. With an open schedule I guess that's tolerable but one gets less touring for the time/money than in the other 3 seasons.
Old 08-08-19, 07:06 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Not many spots in USA that don't get cold sometimes. I've been in central/coastal Florida when it was 38° F & raining. I think the main thing is to avoid snow. In dry weather, 40°'s can be quite pleasant for cycling. Short winter days give less daylight for riding though. With an open schedule I guess that's tolerable but one gets less touring for the time/money than in the other 3 seasons.
It is all relative. The big question is for the OP, how cold is cold? Even here on the panhandle (Tallahassee) it never really snows, not real accumulating snow that amounts to anything. Yes it does get cold, but other than some freak low that happens only very rarely it typically hits 50F at some point during the day. Personally, I have found winter here a lot nicer than summer for riding and if I were to tour here I'd definitely choose winter over summer.

Obviously you can go further south in Florida where it is warmer yet.
Old 08-13-19, 02:26 PM
Teamdarb

Bikes: 94' Barracuda A2M, 83 Ross 294 signature, 93 MB3, '87 BS 300 mixte, '86 420, '12 Trek 520, 92 720 and more

Generally, in the circle which I am in, many folks start chat aiming for either southern Texas or any place below Okeechobee, FL. I have also noticed the migration depends on social media exposure as well. This probably explains the Arizona reference. The last two years folks have been trekking to northwestern Arkansas due to the agressive mountain bike ads. That place will always have a stigmata tough to beat. Now with the recent changes in government the normal places have lost much of their star struck appeal. I have heard this year the place to be may be Nevada.
Old 08-14-19, 02:27 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10899 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by Teamdarb
Generally, in the circle which I am in, many folks start chat aiming for either southern Texas or any place below Okeechobee, FL. I have also noticed the migration depends on social media exposure as well. This probably explains the Arizona reference. The last two years folks have been trekking to northwestern Arkansas due to the agressive mountain bike ads. That place will always have a stigmata tough to beat. Now with the recent changes in government the normal places have lost much of their star struck appeal. I have heard this year the place to be may be Nevada.
How does social media exposure play a part? And what stigma does NW AR that is tough to beat even though people are going there?
Confused is an understatement.
Old 08-14-19, 02:29 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10899 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Yes I understand some things about the philosophy of science, and that allegedly, the sun does these things...

Allegedly?
Old 08-14-19, 05:17 PM
Teamdarb

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
How does social media exposure play a part? And what stigma does NW AR that is tough to beat even though people are going there?
Confused is an understatement.
I aint breaking it down.
Old 08-14-19, 09:31 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Allegedly?
Yes. Allegedly.

Like allegedly you're a real human being, typing on a computer, out in hyperspace somewhere, allegedly in control of your own life and will too.

Allegedly the sun came from the big bang...allegedly.

Where did the big bang come from?

Allegedly, they tell me there is a Europe too.

Obviously you haven't seen the blip in the matrix. You still believe it's real.

So allegedly, you are real in control of your own free will in the matrix, but the sun isn't. So you subscribe to a philosophy of things and accept them as ultimate truth, because they told you to...allegedly.

And allegedly, you want me to believe that, and if I don't, you will have some mean things to say, tell me how wrong I am, or try to shame me in some way because you say so.

There is no way for me to win in the conversation, so what would you like me to say?

I don't believe the sun is anymore real then you are, Betty down the block, or really anything for that matter other than what I experience. Just about everything we believe today, we won't in 1000 years. They will think you are idiots and cavemen in just about every capacity. So why do you want me to believe what you will say on the matter (or anyone) is matter of fact?

Next you will be telling me that we die one day too....
Old 08-14-19, 09:56 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
for folks that want to set up a base in the usa but spend much of their time traveling, you can pick up a little house in a small town in southwest texas for under $25k.

a few advantages..........no personal income tax, very low property taxes, homestead exemptions reduce property taxes for some, minimal government to intrude in unincorporated towns (often no need for building permits), low insurance costs, minimal heating in the short winter week, chicken fried steak.
Likes For saddlesores:
Old 08-14-19, 10:59 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Allegedly?
Yes. Allegedly.

Like allegedly you're a real human being, typing on a computer, out in hyperspace somewhere, allegedly in control of your own life and will too.

Allegedly the sun came from the big bang...allegedly.

Where did the big bang come from?

Allegedly, they tell me there is a Europe too.

Obviously you haven't seen the blip in the matrix. You still believe it's real.

So allegedly, you are real in control of your own free will in the matrix, but the sun isn't. So you subscribe to a philosophy of things and accept them as ultimate truth, because they told you to...allegedly.

And allegedly, you want me to believe that, and if I don't, you will have some mean things to say, tell me how wrong I am, or try to shame me in some way because you say so. (not saying any of this with attitude or argumentative kind of thing...just from a philosophical point of view for reference)

There is no way for me to win in the conversation, so what would you like me to say?

I don't believe the sun is anymore real then you are, Betty down the block, or really anything for that matter other than what I experience. Just about everything we believe today, we won't in 1000 years. They will think you are idiots and cavemen in just about every capacity. So why do you want me to believe what you will say on the matter (or anyone) is matter of fact?

Next you will be telling me that we die one day too....

Last edited by Bike Jedi; 08-14-19 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-15-19, 03:08 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Twice ... for emphasis!
Likes For Machka:
Old 08-15-19, 04:03 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,281 Times in 7,225 Posts
Twice ... for emphasis!
I'm sold.
Old 08-15-19, 05:27 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
this is getting weird, like in ted kaczynski weird....allegedly.
Likes For saddlesores:
Old 08-15-19, 02:24 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Check out the OPs other threads, all of which have gone the way of Capt. Queeg's testimony under Barney Greenwald in The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial. I suggest we not pile on. Temper the wind to the shorn lamb, please.
Likes For conspiratemus1:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.