Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Any suggestions for a small simple hand pump?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Any suggestions for a small simple hand pump?

Old 05-22-21, 10:21 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Topeak RaceRocket HP. Best mini-pump I've tried. Great ergonomics compared with most mini pumps, and more efficient per stroke.

I also have the longer Topeak RaceRocket HPX and Blackburn Core Slim, but those protrude quite a bit from my jersey pocket so I usually prefer to use the water bottle cage clamp.

I had a Lezyne or knockoff with a built in gauge and wasn't impressed with the effort needed or ergonomics, so I gave it away. The Lezynes look really good, with clean lines. But in actual practice the Topeak RaceRockets have far superior ergonomics -- excellent rubber grip, soft plastic end cap rather than hard metal edges, a very useful extension hose, easy to use threaded chuck, and easily convertible between Presta and Schrader.
Old 05-22-21, 10:23 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,916 Times in 2,547 Posts
I look at your bike and think "a nice black full frame pump under the top tube with a black velcro pump strap would look pretty darn nice". It would have function. It would have style. It would completely flunk the mini part. It would also be a joy to use.

I know, unsolicited advice.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-22-21, 11:28 PM
John Bramson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I look at your bike and think "a nice black full frame pump under the top tube with a black velcro pump strap would look pretty darn nice". It would have function. It would have style. It would completely flunk the mini part. It would also be a joy to use.

I know, unsolicited advice.
That just might be one damn good idea.
Old 05-23-21, 03:36 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I have been very happy with this pump. Fixed many too many flats to count with this pump.
LEZYNE Sport Drive
Old 05-23-21, 04:10 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I am with 79Mooney on this one. That bike screams full frame pump. The Silca would be my choice but is expensive. https://silca.cc/collections/frame-p...ate-frame-pump

The Zefal frame pump would be my 2nd choice. https://www.rivbike.com/products/zef...a3c03d29&_ss=r

Personally I use the Lezyne Road Drive. What I like about it is the hose, way easier on the valve. The problem as with every mini pump is the number of strokes it takes to get the tire up to volume and adequate pressure to at least get you home. I have to stop halfway through to let the pump cool down. At least with the Lezyne is has a metal outer so it won't shatter but I am worried about the seals inside. The water bottle bracket makes carrying the pump quite easy and unobtrusive.

Yesterday I was looking at getting a new pump and was looking at Silca's offerings. They deal with the issue around heat and the prices of their pumps reflects that.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 05-23-21, 06:24 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Geez...why make such a big deal about what a bicycle pump should look like ??...A pump isn't a fashion accessory, a pump is a tool and it doesn't have to match your bike....You're way too picky.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-23-21, 08:43 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Definitely needs some mud.
Old 05-26-21, 02:51 PM
Astronautas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am really happy with my Zefal (Air Profil) had if for ages and still going strong, I particularly like that its metal (mostly)
Old 05-26-21, 07:18 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
[QUOTE=blakcloud;22072034]I am with 79Mooney on this one. That bike screams full frame pump. The Silca would be my choice but is expensive. https://silca.cc/collections/frame-p...ate-frame-pump

The Zefal frame pump would be my 2nd choice. https://www.rivbike.com/products/zef...a3c03d29&_ss=r

Personally I use the Lezyne Road Drive. What I like about it is the hose, way easier on the valve. The problem as with every mini pump is the number of strokes it takes to get the tire up to volume and adequate pressure to at least get you home. I have to stop halfway through to let the pump cool down. At least with the Lezyne is has a metal outer so it won't shatter but I am worried about the seals inside. The water bottle bracket makes carrying the pump quite easy and unobtrusive.

Yesterday I was looking at getting a new pump and was looking at Silca's offerings. They deal with the issue around heat and the prices of their pumps reflects that.[/QUOTE]

Agreed on the Zefal. Inexpensive, and it should last a lifetime.

I have a couple of the Silca Tattico mini-pumps. No heat build-up issue due to the dual-wall construction, it's got a little hose which is easier on the valve, and it moves air pretty well. It's worth the price, if you're after a bullet-proof mini-pump.
Old 05-27-21, 08:35 AM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
I read that those screw-on pump head might unscrew your valve core as you remove the pump head. It will go flying like a missile. And you will never find it on the side of the road.
So, be bery careful to catch it if it does. And carry a valve stem tool just in case.
Likes For mtb_addict: