Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Neck pain on Aero/Triathlon bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-28-21, 09:08 AM
nrsmd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Being so far facing down and needing to lift my neck to see the road, I have tried everything I know to ease posterior neck pain (raising handlebars). Has anyone tried using a forward-facing mirror that allows me to see what is in front of me without having to so often raise my head?

Or other possible solutions? I hate to give up on the triathlon on my Cervelo.

All advice is welcome.
Old 06-28-21, 09:20 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
You could try some resistance exercises for the c-spine extensors. They certainly exist and I did them under supervision when rehabbing from c-spine surgery.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 06-28-21, 11:20 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Far out suggestion: A digital camera which has a moveable viewing screen. Mount camera and aim the lens forward and adjust the screen angle. Live TV!

Like this:

https://www.abesofmaine.com/Panasoni...20group%20%231

https://www.amazon.com/PANASONIC-DC-..._dp&th=1&psc=1

Last edited by kahn; 06-28-21 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-28-21, 11:39 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Old 06-28-21, 04:51 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 324 Posts
Originally Posted by nrsmd
Has anyone tried using a forward-facing mirror that allows me to see what is in front of me without having to so often raise my head?

All advice is welcome.

If you can't look forward to see what's down the road, you shouldn't be riding that bike.

Get a professional bike fit.
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 06-29-21, 12:44 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Same. Old C1-C2 injury from my compact car being t-boned by a full size SUV 20 years ago. I can't handle the current low aero tuck with aero bars parallel with ground.

But I can manage the praying mantis position that was popular several years ago. I don't ride UCI events so the current regulations don't affect me.

This was Floyd Landis at his peak around 2006. His peak was rather short, due to mostly playing a super domestique role for a few years, with his GC aspirations curtailed by doping and chronic hip injury pain. But if you check YouTube for the few available videos of Landis in time trials he was very good and this position worked well for him. There are photos of him in the lower aero tuck with the bars parallel with the ground, but I haven't found any videos or data to indicate whether the current UCI-legal position worked as well for him as the praying mantis position.

Landis in 2006, using the arguably more effective praying mantis TT setup.

Landis (rear) supporting Armstrong, before the 2006 photo above, in the now-more-familiar low aero bar tuck, rather than the praying mantis position.

And this:
C) Extension angle is crucial to both aero and metabolic performance. Dr. San Millán says there is a reason the UCI made the Praying Mantis position illegal — it’s very fast. For those racing non-UCI regulated time trials or triathlons, it’s the only position to use. To achieve this position angle the extensions so that your forearms sit at 45- to 50-degrees to the base bar. For those racing under rules you’ll need to go shallower, but he still says to aim for a 30- to 35-degree forearm angle.

D) While not necessarily a position change, Dr. San Millán says make sure not to forget about an aero helmet, as it will trump every other possible position change, save for what we’ve already mentioned.
"Aero position isn't everything"

Last edited by canklecat; 06-29-21 at 04:40 AM. Reason: add photo
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-01-21, 04:09 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I fixed the problem with a different helmet that allows me to see the road without having my head down as far. I tried with one helmet trimming back the foam liner and that did help. It is not a good idea to stay in any one position for too long. I hate long downhill sections as it is hard on the body. I did one section of road leaving Yosemite and was in a tuck position for 45 minutes and never did that particular ride again. Easy to also over compress the ulnar nerves in the hands and possibly do permanent damage. I like drop bars where I can change my position and hand location during a ride.
Old 07-01-21, 04:15 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
Do you need to ride a tri bike ? If yes would this work ?

FEISIKE Handlebar Bike Mirror, Bicycle Rear View camera with 4.3'' HD Night Vision Function, 145° Wide Angle View
https://www.amazon.com/Feisike-Handl...5177548&sr=8-3

I am wondering if that would mess up any aero benefit where you might be better off on a road bike.
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 07-01-21, 06:23 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Google "bed prism glasses". They're glasses that bend your vision 90-degrees. They're made so people can lie in bed with their head facing up and read a book propped up on their chest. You'd have to wear them upside down, or perhaps the prisms could be rotated. I've never used them, but most seem to be under $20 on Amazon.

Likes For BobbyG:
Old 07-01-21, 06:45 PM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by BobbyG
Google "bed prism glasses". They're glasses that bend your vision 90-degrees. They're made so people can lie in bed with their head facing up and read a book propped up on their chest. You'd have to wear them upside down, or perhaps the prisms could be rotated. I've never used them, but most seem to be under $20 on Amazon.

that's kind of cool.

anyone use this for there intended purpose ?
Old 07-01-21, 06:49 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
If you can't look forward to see what's down the road, you shouldn't be riding that bike.

Get a professional bike fit.
THIS! Forward facing mirrors? Seriously?
Old 07-01-21, 07:20 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
Do you need to ride a tri bike ? If yes would this work ?

FEISIKE Handlebar Bike Mirror, Bicycle Rear View camera with 4.3'' HD Night Vision Function, 145° Wide Angle View
https://www.amazon.com/Feisike-Handl...5177548&sr=8-3

I am wondering if that would mess up any aero benefit where you might be better off on a road bike.
Doesn't Apple make a pair of glasses with a viewer built in?
Old 07-01-21, 07:53 PM
kahn

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts

Absolutely fascinating.
Old 07-01-21, 08:43 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
See a physical therapist and learn proper exercises to strengthen your neck. The other suggestion of a bike fit is a good one.

I had neck and shoulder issues for 6 months and did both things above and now no more pain.

Old 07-02-21, 11:52 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Most TT helmets that use a visor built in account for this. Find one that allows you to ser better.

For training rides, try a Giro Vanquish roadie helmet with the visor. Same deal on being able to look down road better.

Also, what are your expectations for looking down road? 100 inches, 100 feet, 100 yards, or to the horizon? If to the horizon or 100 plus yards, consider not riding a TT bike. Part of the deal is losing some down road visibility.

If you all think Ganna sees to the horizon, that would be a nope.
Old 07-02-21, 12:54 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Make certain the brim of your helmet isn't blocking your view down the road making you raise your head up further. I have to try on helmets to check for that. Some are worse than others. Some have adjustments that let you have the helmet sit higher on your forehead.
Old 07-02-21, 02:40 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 956 Posts
Assuming you are not too concerned about looking weird- tie a bungie cord from the back of your helmet to the back of your saddle.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 07-02-21, 03:13 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
*timtak has entered the chat*
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 07-02-21 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-02-21, 04:40 PM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Assuming you are not too concerned about looking weird- tie a bungie cord from the back of your helmet to the back of your saddle.
They actually do something like this. I just read the story about the women that won the race across America. They said something to the effect of taping her hair back on her back to help hold her head up.
That's a grueling race.

Leah Goldstein - News & Events
Now all of a sudden my crew was scrambling to come up with a solution. Despite their best efforts, coming up with and testing different apparatuses was killing our time. I had to stop to try on different braces & devices, but nothing worked to my satisfaction. Finally, in one last desperate attempt, Lori and Janessa shaved the back of my head and applied strips of tape to pull it backward, along with elastic bandages braided into my hair and attached to the back of my bra. The dead weight hanging from these extensions made for a painful week. Descents were torturous and stops to rest my neck far too frequent, but I never once even considered quitting! However, the way I ended up winning the race was no the way I had wanted to win.
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 07-02-21, 07:12 PM
roadie77

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Try neck isometrics

Although I don't have a TT bike (yet) I do Eddy Merckx style TT's on my road bike. Good position involves keeping the back as flat as possible which does put strain on the neck.

I do neck isometrics to strengthen my neck during twice weekly yoga sessions. These sessions involve plenty of planking which also works the neck. This seems to work
pretty well.

Here's a link to a page with neck isometrics:
https://www.baycare.org/health-libra...at%205%20times.
Likes For roadie77:
Old 07-03-21, 08:26 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Please don't try and rig up some forward facing camera. Just doesn't sound safe.

Probably don't want to hear this but a recumbent will fix this problem and allow you to ride pain free for many more years.

Something to consider.