Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Giant Expressway 2 in United Airlines?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 07-12-21, 12:50 AM
lipued

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello. I am going to move from Asia to SLC Utah in the next month. Since folding bike stocks in local shops there did not impress me in terms of price, I now consider bringing my mother's Giant Expressway 2 with me.

I heard that United charges $200 for each travelers with bike, but I do not know whether that applies to one who breaks the bike up into parts and put them in a checked baggage. Since the Airline itself is infamous for harsh treatments on passengers' baggages(everyone knows "United breaks guitars"), would it be better to pay 200 bucks for bicycle fee, or just break it up into parts and put it on a suitcase?(There might also be 150 bucks for a normal extra checked in baggage for this as well, depend on how I will pack my things.)
Old 07-12-21, 11:51 AM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Flown dozens of times without damage. Do a search for suitcases and you will find many articles on how to accomplish it.

Here is one of mine-

Folder

Last edited by kayakindude; 07-12-21 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-12-21, 12:18 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Even if the cased bike meets the size and weight limitations, don't tell the agent it is a bicycle. I learned that lesson the hard way. It is unlikely you can break the bike down to fit into one "box". The frame and parts in one box and the wheels in another. That is two pieces of baggage. If you are Premier Gold or higher or flying Business First, you also get three bags. Otherwise, you will be paying for a third bag. I would box the entire bike and pay the $200 unless you could check 3 bags free and then it might make sense.
Likes For GhostRider62: