Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wide pedals with retention

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-21, 07:22 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts

I'm going to be replacing the SR quill pedals on my '85 Fuji, so I figured I'd solicit some opinions.

Requirements:
  • Wide. I wear 13s.
  • Comfortable under work shoes and sneakers. So, the more supportive the better.
  • Must accept and work well with toe clips and straps, because I vastly prefer some foot rentention. Needing a toe-flip is not disqualifying.
  • Durable and well-made. I live in Humboldt County, and I don't drive. I know how to rebuild pedals, but of course not having to is better.
  • Must look good to my eyes on my bike.
  • Not plastic. Yes, there are high-quality plastic pedals. There are no plastic pedals that are not ugly out of the box and hideous after a year or two.
New production or old doesn't matter, although unobtanium like the early 80s Specialized Touring pedals won't happen unless I get really lucky, because I'm doing this and some other upgrades within a week or two. I volunteer at the Eureka Bike Kitchen, so parts I can order from distribution are preferable to ones I can only buy retail.

So, what do other big-footed weirdos like in pedals?

--Shannon
Old 07-22-21, 08:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I like my Crank Brothers Stamp 7s but I don't use more dangerous toe clips and straps. I get plenty of foot retention without it and can fairly easily get out of them without any faff required with straps. For clipless stuff I like the Shimano XT SPD pedals (I guess PD-M8120 now but whatever version with the outer cages/platform)
Old 07-22-21, 09:21 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I really like my Rock Bros. They're big pedals.
Old 07-22-21, 10:34 PM
ShannonM

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I like my Crank Brothers Stamp 7s but I don't use more dangerous toe clips and straps. I get plenty of foot retention without it and can fairly easily get out of them without any faff required with straps. For clipless stuff I like the Shimano XT SPD pedals (I guess PD-M8120 now but whatever version with the outer cages/platform)
I really, really prefer retention. It's a feel thing, but it's been a consistent feel thing since I put toe clips on my Huffy 10 speed in 1985. I bought my first pair of clipless pedals in late '88 or '89. I've put PowerGrips on every MTB I've ever owned.

Also, I disagree that clips and straps are inherently more dangerous. Even with slotted cleats and snug straps, I've never crashed because of them, and when I did crash, I came all the way out of both pedals every time. The only time I've ever been stuck to the pedal was with a clipless pedal... SR / Sampsons, one of the worst clipless pedals ever made, to be sure, but still. Are clips & straps a bit trickier and way less convenient? Yes. Measurably less safe? I'm not persuaded.

--Shannon
Old 07-23-21, 04:22 AM
mtbikerjohn 

Bikes: a few..

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 95 Posts
MKS makes some larger platform touring/city pedals that look to be able to take toe clips and straps..
Likes For mtbikerjohn:
Old 07-23-21, 06:33 PM
ShannonM

Originally Posted by mtbikerjohn
MKS makes some larger platform touring/city pedals that look to be able to take toe clips and straps..
Indeed they do. I've had GR-9s in the past. Nice pedals, too narrow for my big floppy foots.The Urban Platforms are up near the top of my list for new pedals, along with the VO Touring. Does Velo Orange sell through a distributor, or are they web-only?

Used, I've looked at the SR SP-11 and SP-155, and there's something very appealing about the weird-looking Suntour GPX, with the humongous trapezoidal body and the oh-so-sweet grey-blue anodizing. As mentioned, the MKS-made Specialized Touring pedals would be the business, but I don't want to check Ebay every day for the next 8 months and pay 300 bones for pedals.

Other than the VO Sabots, are there any MTB / BMX-style flat pedals that are known to be good with toe clips and straps? The Sabots are out of stock anyway, and the hump in the middle always seemed like it'd be noticeable underfoot... which is why I loathe quill pedals. (I ground off the stabby bit on the MKS Sylvans that are on it now about a week after I bought the bike.)

--Shannon
Old 07-23-21, 08:09 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
VO Touring. Does Velo Orange sell through a distributor, or are they web-only?n
The VO Touring pedals are what I was going to suggest. You can order direct, but many shops can order them for you, at least in the US.
Old 07-23-21, 08:14 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
here is what I use Now I can wear any shoe sucks the price went up worthy bucks since last I bought them. they are made for size 13 feet about the biggest peddles around.
https://pedalinginnovations.com/?gcl...EaAlo2EALw_wcB
Old 07-23-21, 08:15 PM
ShannonM

Originally Posted by Rolla
The VO Touring pedals are what I was going to suggest. You can order direct, but many shops can order them for you, at least in the US.
I volunteer at the Eureka Bike Kitchen, so I can order from distributors. MSRP seems pretty close between the MKS Urbans and the VO Touring, so presumably catalog pricing will be similar. Any clue who VO's distributor is? JBI, QBP, Merry, other?

I'm going to try to find some comparisons between the two.

--Shannon
Old 07-23-21, 08:36 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I volunteer at the Eureka Bike Kitchen, so I can order from distributors. MSRP seems pretty close between the MKS Urbans and the VO Touring, so presumably catalog pricing will be similar. Any clue who VO's distributor is? JBI, QBP, Merry, other?

I'm going to try to find some comparisons between the two.

--Shannon

At my shop, I believe we ordered direct from VO. But I just saw this on their webpage:

If you're a wholesale customer looking to get Velo Orange product for your shop, check out our wonderful distributors:

USA

Quality Bicycle Products

Bicycle Technologies International

Last edited by Rolla; 07-23-21 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-23-21, 09:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I really, really prefer retention. It's a feel thing, but it's been a consistent feel thing since I put toe clips on my Huffy 10 speed in 1985. I bought my first pair of clipless pedals in late '88 or '89. I've put PowerGrips on every MTB I've ever owned.

Also, I disagree that clips and straps are inherently more dangerous. Even with slotted cleats and snug straps, I've never crashed because of them, and when I did crash, I came all the way out of both pedals every time. The only time I've ever been stuck to the pedal was with a clipless pedal... SR / Sampsons, one of the worst clipless pedals ever made, to be sure, but still. Are clips & straps a bit trickier and way less convenient? Yes. Measurably less safe? I'm not persuaded.

--Shannon
You have been lucky then or you must leave things quite loose. Sampsons were pretty bad from all reports but every clipless pedal I have used provides excellent retention with super easy exit when needed. However with my platforms I have decent enough retention for most things (can't pull up) without anything encumbering my foot.
Old 07-23-21, 10:16 PM
ShannonM

Originally Posted by Rolla
At my shop, I believe we ordered direct from VO. But I just saw this on their webpage:

If you're a wholesale customer looking to get Velo Orange product for your shop, check out our wonderful distributors:

USA

Quality Bicycle Products

Bicycle Technologies International
Sweet! I know we have a BTI account. QBP I'm not sure of, but if we don't we should for sure get one.

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 07-23-21, 10:49 PM
ShannonM

Originally Posted by veganbikes
You have been lucky then or you must leave things quite loose.
I don't know about lucky...it's more like, when I crash, I crash hard. Even with slotted cleats and single leather straps I never got stuck to the bike. I knew people that did, but it was rare, and happened with clipless as well. And if you crash hard enough, you get blown off the bike no matter what pedals you're riding. (Well, maybe not Cinelli M71s...)

I'm not anti-clipless by any means. I've used Sampsons, Looks, Time Equipes, and Speedplays, and I kept the Eggbeater 3s that were on the bike when I swapped in the Sylvan quills that came with it. If I ever go back to clipless pedals and cleated shoes, that's probably what I'd go with, cuz I got 'em. My favorite road clipless were the Speedplays. Once I got used to the total lack of centering force, they were really comfortable and worked great.

Although for a fast road bike, I'd probably use the NIB pair of Dura-Ace PD-7400s I've got in my parts box. I used the PD-64 cleats with the used 600s I had, so they're worn, but that system is my favorite fast-bike pedal setup ever, and I tried it for the first time in the mid-2000s, when I had the Speedplays. The winged-and-slotted cleats give clipless-like retention and exit even with loose straps, and you can snug the straps down when you want to hammer. Really, the only advantage clipless road pedals have over these is ease of entry, because you don't have to flip them rightside up.

(Well, that and the fact that you can actually get cleats for most clipless pedals, and PD-64s are about as common as dentists for chickens. NOS ones get stupid, stupid money... it'd probably be cheaper to buy a 3D printer.)

--Shannon
Old 07-24-21, 02:04 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I have wide feet. I selected the MKS Sylvan Next Touring Pedals (https://www.mkspedal.com/?q=en/product/node/331). They have a pedal platform of W94 x L63 (mm), can take clips and straps or half clips. The sealed bearings are very, very smooth and they are relatively light. What I liked is they do not have the raised tabs at the end of the 3.7" wide sideplates that can dig into the soles.

I just saw a new Sylvan "Gordito" on their website that is the same width, but more than 3/4" longer front to back. However, I am not sure if it is imported into the USA. (https://www.mkspedal.com/?q=en/product/node/428) It measures W94ŚL85, and also takes clips of straps. The website has all the dimensions listed as well as weights.

If you want to spend more, you can get the Rinko versions with EZY Superior quick removal feature for swapping pedals or for packing. When I bought my Sylvan Touring Next pedals, they did not have an SPD compatible pedal in EZY-Superior, but they do now. https://www.mkspedal.com/?q=en/product/node/409
Old 07-25-21, 05:28 AM
ShannonM

Thanks to all who helped. The decision is made.

It's gonna be the MKS Urbans in black, with Soma Fab Deep 2-gate toe clips and brown Velo Orange toe straps. Hopefully will look and feel the business on this bike:

--Shannon