Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Best Areas to road cycle in the NE?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Old 04-28-16, 04:55 AM
jerrduford

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The wife and I are in Michigan and I'm out of ideas for our anniversary with conflicting schedules. We'll have a few days to travel someplace somewhat spur-of-the-moment.

We're both into road cycling and I'm looking for someplace new and exciting (vs Grand Rapids, MI) that we can drive to, camp or hotel for a few days, ride during the day, and park the bikes & enjoy night life later on.

Would be great if It could stay somewhat close IE Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, PA, Kentucky, West Virginia
Anyone have any great ideas?
Old 04-28-16, 06:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
The Finger Lakes region of NY? Watkin's Glen is just over an 8 hr. drive.
Old 04-28-16, 07:34 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Hey Paisan,

I'm from Michigan too (East Side of Detroit), and here in Boston, NE means New England, (though I suppose "the NE" does mean Northeast) and I'd like to recommend Metro Boston as a destination. Our immediate family in Boston travels to Detroit 2-3 times a year. It's a 700 mile but good-traveling route across Canada, and I think it would be a pretty straight shot across Michigan to Port Huron to cross. We do it in one day, even when the two children were young.

My wife has often said it's a Michigan thing to do long drives, like 24 hours to Florida, or three days across the USA. Right now I'm in North Carolina for a family activity. and drove solo about 750 miles on Monday, to return on Friday. I brought my bike and have done two rides, around family activities. That ride, even without two border crossings was tougher, and the scenery from Michigan to Boston is much nicer.

Anyways, i have often replied to queries about cycling vacations in Metro Boston, and here's one of them.

Originally Posted by MoonJW
Please help plan my vacation!

This year my significant other and I did the Great Allegheny Passage. We had such a good time that we want to do something similar this coming spring for one week in the Northeast.

Any suggestions?

Our criteria is this:

1) Good for May / June. Not too hot, not too chilly.
2) Within one day's drive of New York City. A day to get there, a day to get back.
3) Good for 3-4 days of cycling, or roughly 175-200 leisurely miles. Moderate elevation, lots of chances to rest and sit around and enjoy the scenery.
4) Minimal to no traffic. My girlfriend hates, hates riding in traffic for anything longer than a short stretch, especially highway shoulders. She won't go near those.
5) Paved or crushed stone. Rail trails are fine as long as they are doable on 28mm slicks.
6) Staying at inns or hotels.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
How about a “hub and spoke” ride in Metro Boston? I live in downtown, so I have explored the region in all directions. Boston is surrounded by a beltway of about 10 mile radius from downtown, Rte 128/I-95, and once outside that beltway, the road cycling is excellent.

Even better, a concentric beltway, I-495, is about 20-30 miles outside downtown, and there you are in exurbia and rural countryside. One could stay in Boston and explore various sectors by driving out to a distant starting point, or move to various points outside the City in those sectors.

Besides driving, one can take fully-assembled bikes on the Commuter Rail from the City Proper quite a way out of town, ride, and return by train. I have previously posted a Cycling Guide to Metro Boston, describing the varied, scenic and interesting regions to ride; the urban bikepaths; and using Commuter Rail to carry bikes.

I think Metro Boston meets all your criteria. Feel free to PM me if interested.

...Consider me as Metro Boston's Ambassador to BikeForums....
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I did one group ride with some Fifty-Plus members at Watkins Glen, and the cycling was nice. But for a complete getaway, with lots to do off the bikes, I would highly recommend Boston.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-28-16 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-28-16, 12:12 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I was gonna say that! There are hotels, motels, and B&Bs to stay in, as well as camp grounds. There are wineries all over the place. The roads are generally good. And I thought the drivers were the nicest I've encountered. My wife and I spent a few days at a B&B on Keuka Lake, good riding, nice folks, nice restaurants, and wineries to visit. You'll learn how to carry a few bottles of wine on your bike real quick.
Just remember, ride parallel to the lake it's flat to moderate, perpendicular to the lake you go real hills.
And lots of wineries.
Old 04-28-16, 12:54 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
I was gonna say that! There are hotels, motels, and B&Bs to stay in, as well as camp grounds. There are wineries all over the place. The roads are generally good. And I thought the drivers were the nicest I've encountered. My wife and I spent a few days at a B&B on Keuka Lake, good riding, nice folks, nice restaurants, and wineries to visit. You'll learn how to carry a few bottles of wine on your bike real quick.
Just remember, ride parallel to the lake it's flat to moderate, perpendicular to the lake you go real hills.
And lots of wineries.
I have done the Bon Ton Roulet twice. Seneca is another nice base. This year, the ride is staying there three nights as more and more people have expressed interest in not moving every day:

Planning | The Bon Ton Roulet

When I did Bon Ton a few years ago, we stayed at Keuka College two nights and at Hobart Smith College in Geneva two nights.

OP: Some tourist agency makes an excellent paper map of the Finger Lakes region. I will see if I can find mine at home.
Old 04-29-16, 04:39 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
...Anyways, i have often replied to queries about cycling vacations in Metro Boston [or elsewhere], and here's one of them....
I subsequently posted on that thread,

...In any case, often those who request advice about travel destinations and receive persuasive replies never tell the thread about their choice and experience. I hope you’ll let us know about this weekend.
Old 04-29-16, 10:44 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,170 Posts
2nd recommendation for the Finger Lakes region.

It's a very pretty area, great roads, with the hills all in the south of the region.

Wineries everywhere, or head up to Lake Ontario for some views.

It's also about 5-6 hrs. closer then Boston, even though I like Boston.