Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Giant Toughroad Tires: Which to Buy?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-19, 05:11 AM
Juggy_Gales

Bikes: 2018 Giant Toughroad SLR2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Hey guys I haven't posted in awhile.. Sorry to have neglected everyone.. I have been going through a lot.. But now.. I am back. Hope everyone is doing well.

So.. The stock tires surprisingly are still holding up.. But, I feel I can get better tires that will improve the ride quality a bit.. I'll keep the wheels for now.. But I would like a good 700x35 or 700x40 tire
that will improve ride quality and possibly performance..

I have seen in other threads Shwalbe Marathon Mondials as an option.. and I do agree that they are tough tires.. But I am staying Tubeless and not sure if they even have Tubeless Marathon Tires

A Tire that is for consideration right now is.. The Maxxis Rambler Tubeless in 700x40

Thoughts?
Old 02-11-19, 01:21 AM
Juggy_Gales

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Juggy_Gales
Hey guys I haven't posted in awhile.. Sorry to have neglected everyone.. I have been going through a lot.. But now.. I am back. Hope everyone is doing well.

So.. The stock tires surprisingly are still holding up.. But, I feel I can get better tires that will improve the ride quality a bit.. I'll keep the wheels for now.. But I would like a good 700x35 or 700x40 tire

I have seen in other threads Shwalbe Marathon Mondials as an option.. and I do agree that they are tough tires.. But I am staying Tubeless and not sure if they even have Tubeless Marathon Tires

A Tire that is for consideration right now is.. The Maxxis Rambler Tubeless in 700x40

Thoughts?
no one?
Old 02-11-19, 01:44 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts

Thoughts?
What kind of riding do you plan on? For mostly road riding some big smoothies would work well. I run WTB SLick 26x1.85s. They were inexpensive and have very pliant sidewalls. They don't feel fast due to the lack of tread "chatter", but the (calibrated) spedometer and ride times show them to be very fast tires.
Old 02-11-19, 01:56 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Here are some objective data that may assist in your search: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/

For various tires the site offers data on rolling resistance for a range of tire pressures, info. re: tire construction, puncture resistance, tested tire weight, some subjective observations, and other info. He hasn't tested every single tire out there, but a pretty good selection can be found on the site.

Tire performance as judged by any particular cyclist is very subjective. It's good to have some data to back-up the selection of a particular tire - especially if you are going to spend $50+ per tire.

Good Luck.
Old 02-11-19, 03:29 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Marathon Supreme and Marathon Almotion are offered in Schwalbe's "Tubeless Easy" model. I believe the Almotion is rated one of the least rolling resistant tires money can buy (I could be wrong). Of course, being Schwalbe means they won't be cheap, but, you get what you pay for.

-Kedosto
Old 02-11-19, 04:15 PM
Juggy_Gales

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
What kind of riding do you plan on? For mostly road riding some big smoothies would work well. I run WTB SLick 26x1.85s. They were inexpensive and have very pliant sidewalls. They don't feel fast due to the lack of tread "chatter", but the (calibrated) spedometer and ride times show them to be very fast tires.
are those Tires tubeless?
my current tires are 700x50
I just feel they have a bit of roll resistance.. I feel the bike slow down quicker than I feel it should.. and nothin is rubbing etc.. and the bike does get up to speed quick.. but if im not constantly pedaling
the speed decreases quickly.. Ive often use to cruise after getting to speed with dif bikes.. So.. one thing im thinking it might be the tires.. they are plush.. but i think maybe Shwalbe Pro Ones may do.. one person on this thread recommended them along with a higher quality wheel..
Old 02-11-19, 04:16 PM
Juggy_Gales

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
Here are some objective data that may assist in your search: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/

For various tires the site offers data on rolling resistance for a range of tire pressures, info. re: tire construction, puncture resistance, tested tire weight, some subjective observations, and other info. He hasn't tested every single tire out there, but a pretty good selection can be found on the site.

Tire performance as judged by any particular cyclist is very subjective. It's good to have some data to back-up the selection of a particular tire - especially if you are going to spend $50+ per tire.

Good Luck.
thank you for that, I agree and Im going to check it out
Old 02-11-19, 04:47 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
Marathon Supreme and Marathon Almotion are offered in Schwalbe's "Tubeless Easy" model. I believe the Almotion is rated one of the least rolling resistant tires money can buy (I could be wrong). Of course, being Schwalbe means they won't be cheap, but, you get what you pay for.

-Kedosto
They are less than half price in Europe. Try bike24.de
Old 02-12-19, 08:10 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
are those Tires tubeless?
Sorry for getting back to you a little late...I don't think my tires can be run tubeless...but I don't know for sure. All I know is that on all three of my bikes, soft, pliant sidewalls make for fast, comfortable riding.
Old 02-12-19, 08:47 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
If ride quality is your concern, Marathon Mondials are not your choice. They are a heavy, durable, tough tire.

I'm a fan of the Clement tires, I've used both the USH and MSO. USH are probably my favorite tires ever, especially for that style of bike.
Old 02-12-19, 06:43 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Mail me some samples and I can test them .. that's how Revues work .... then I can answer your question...
Old 02-12-19, 09:31 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
My Clement XPlor MSO 700cx40 run tubeless were fantastic for my needs. Then I went 650b, and they now sit in my closet with under 1,000 miles on them. 60/40 pavement/dirt and gravel.

eric/fresno, ca.