Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Dropbar dropper levers

Old 09-29-19, 06:05 PM
kevrider

Bikes: way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Dropbar dropper levers

planning to add a dropper post to the Fargo, thinking about doing the same for the Haanjo, not sure about what to do for a lever. both bikes are 2x and will stay that way, so using the left brifter for the post is a nogo. Wolftooth and PNW both offer dropper levers for dropbars, has anyone tried either or both? i see Shimano has a lever and 27.2mm post on the way, but these are not yet available, as far as i can tell. i have seen this thread, any updates? TIA!
Old 09-29-19, 06:21 PM
kevrider

Bikes: way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
links: Wolftooth // PNW // Shimano (scroll down)
_
Old 10-01-19, 02:19 PM
tofudog415

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I installed the Wolf Tooth Remote Drop Bar on my Salsa Vaya a couple weeks ago. It's been working really well, actuating my PNW Pine 27.2 dropper. I have it installed with the lever on the bottom of the drops, and the nice thing about it is that it presents a large target for actuating with your fingers, so there's no need to look or feel for it. You just slide your hand down the drops, and it's there to squeeze. It's unobtrusive, easy to wrap bar tape around, and there is no interference with any of the usual hand positions. The disadvantage is that it can't be actuated from the hoods or hooks. I don't ride in any terrain that requires quick changes in dropper position, so this hasn't been an issue -- I just drop when I'm approaching a descent and raise when I need to resume pedaling.
Old 10-01-19, 07:08 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
The PNW one can be installed quite nicely in the drops in a comfy area. Putting it on the drops makes more sense when you are using flared bars as that's where you want to be when you do gnarly descents anyway.
Old 10-02-19, 11:14 AM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
I have a semi-generic post and lever on my gravel bike (something like TranzX-inspring your ride). Nothing special about the lever compared to the ones linked above, but it was no problem to mount the lever just below the left shifter where it's out of the way both on the hoods and in the drops, the tape wraps around it without any problems. I only have to break my grip a little from the hoods to reach it; no change in grip required from the drops.

The Shimano / Pro Discover lever looks interesting (along with good specs on the post itself). I'd wait until those release in November if you can stand it.
Old 10-02-19, 01:29 PM
tofudog415

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Advntr.cc just posted a detailed review of Shimano's PRO Discover Dropper Post and Lever. Short answer: the post was great, but the lever was uncomfortable and difficult, if not impossible, to actuate.