Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Reevaluating my cycling regimen.

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 07-16-20, 09:53 PM
Sento
Rick Sento

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I’ve been cycling actively for only 3 years by myself for physical fitness. My routine is to do a 10 mile course at 95 % effort. (I generally average 16 - 18 mph, depending on the wind). The problem is that I’ve had three crashes caused by a pick-up truck, Delivery Van and car. All three crashes were on minor side roads. I banged up my knees in the first one as I went over the bike onto the hood of a pick-up truck. I didn’t get hurt in the last two. Question: Should I give up my “time trial” training strategy and maybe slow down and go longer ? Would like to hear what you more experienced riders do to minimize accidents. (I would say only the first accident was partially my fault as I was going against
traffic and the driver pulled out of a boat yard driveway without looking right when I broadsided him). I live is a busy suburban community.
Old 07-17-20, 02:11 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
I do hill climbs, 5% to 13% grades to get the extra effort in, 2 miles of climbing over a 11 mile loop and repeat as many times as I can. Not sure Long Island as the right terrain.
Old 07-17-20, 04:58 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Possibly the going really hard is causing you to not pay attention to your surroundings, thus the collisions.

You likely already know not to ride on the wrong side of the road. Dangerous, illegal are words that come to mind. You don't detail what caused #2 & #3 , but sometimes there are locations where trying to go fast is not your best tactic as your reaction time is lessened. As well, maybe get a set of blinking lights, red for rear, white for the front and use them. The blinking white I find the best at helping to prevent cars turning across your path as well as entering the lane from strip malls and parking lots. It seems to make drivers pause a bit and that's sometimes all you need.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 07-17-20, 06:47 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,674 Times in 827 Posts
It isn't safe to race on busy streets whether you're in a car, on a bike or even on foot.

In many physical fitness disciplines there are conscious efforts to employ movements that don't harm the body in either the short or long term, and to avoid those that do.

Find a safer route for your time trials, even if it means repeating a shorter route to make the desired distance.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 07-20-20, 12:54 PM
user2

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I wouldn't recommend riding so hard on urban streets or anywhere with busy intersections and parked cars. When I want to ride faster I try to go out of the city.

If you can, you should try to find a hilly area so you can get the same level of exercise at a slower speed, or go early in the morning when there's less traffic, or both.
Old 07-20-20, 01:06 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,791 Times in 3,305 Posts
I don't think that performing structured workouts or time trialing on most roads a reasonable thing. I'd think even I would be distracted by the workout plan too much to even rationally consider traffic that might make me miss my goals.

There might be places that have a road and little traffic that it can be done. But certainly I'd think a city street wouldn't be one of those places. What type roads were you on?
Old 07-21-20, 03:57 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I would say that first accident is 100% your fault.

Agree with everyone saying your speed needs to match the situation. Have to be on constant lookout for things that can kill you. When approaching crowded areas that means slowing down, observing everything, and pre-planning "outs", where you can bail if that car pulls out or this kid/dog dodges left. Make a game of it, waiting until something happens to make a decision is often too late. Do mental reps, as football players call it, so you are always prepared.

Another option I love is ride early in the morning. Be up on the bike before the sun. You can fly when no one else is up. Have a good head light and watch for critters.
Old 07-21-20, 05:07 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
If you've had three crashes with motor vehicles in three years time, your traffic riding skills may need updating. Start there, before the next crash which could serious or fatal. Or, as my old sainted grandmother used to say, "In a world that can't decide between Coke or Pepsi; what are the chances they're all working cooperatively against you?".
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 07-25-20, 10:09 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I'm in rural NE PA (the Poconos) and even here with hardly any traffic there are some roads that are too dangerous to ride at any speed and some that are too dangerous to ride fast. Some roads are ok to ride early in the morning but once the sun gets high...no.

A lot of great suggestions here in this thread but I would add get a smart trainer and train where there is no possibility of getting hit by a car. Even if you use your smart trainer 25% of the time you are on your bike it reduces the chances of a crash by a percentage.
Old 07-25-20, 10:57 AM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
My Company's Main Office is out on Long Island. Seems like that is just a whole lot of busy people in cars that won't notice you when they run over you.
First and foremost I would say Visibility. Along with my dyno headlight, I have very bright two row rear light that can blink and also have a solid band of light. Second I usually wear a reflective construction vest. How often do you really miss a construction worker? And if I do get hit, they can find my body faster.
Second, Learn to drive your bike and anticipate that cars may not see you. Don't go against the rules of the road. You are not special. Be aware of the sound and feel of your surroundings and cars around you. And always think of ways to avoid collisions where ever you ride.
Third, if the circuit you are riding is too busy, see if you can find something a little less busy. I know, Long Island, but there are many different roads there and maybe some are used less than others. And as others have pointed out, times of day can have different traffic patterns. Learn them for your area. Have many different routes for the different times that you ride.
Mix and match your training also. Road training is different from indoor training. I hate the old wind and stationary trainers myself, I have always ridden on rollers and think riders should learn to ride them. They do one thing that no other trainer does... they force you to maintain your line, which comes in real handy in pack riding, event riding and traffic riding on small roads. They are not conducive to off the saddle training however.
Stay safe and keep the rubber side down.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Likes For canopus:
Old 07-25-20, 07:29 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I can't remember the last time I put a 95% effort into a single Strava segment, much less a whole ride.
Old 07-30-20, 09:53 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I would say quit pushing so hard. Get out of the drops, dont have ear plugs if you do, get a review mirror, and listen better for traffic.