Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need to be educated

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Need to be educated

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-20, 10:09 AM
lhill 

Bikes: ‘90ish Peugeot Triathlon and Specialized Alibi Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Need to be educated

My vintage bike has a Shimano 105 Biopace 52/42 crankset with a 12-28 cassette. I love the way it feels when I pedal, the biopace chainrings are great, for me. The 52/42 combination is fine for where I live and ride here in the Houston area, but I intend to spend all of next summer in southern Maine where it is much more hilly, my lowest gear of 42-28t will kill me. I wonder if it would be possible to purchase a used Biopace 48-38-28 triple and somehow convert it to a 48-28 double. Would anyone suggest what some options to a few lower gears might be? Thanks for any help!
Old 08-17-20, 11:04 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Your best bet is probably to look for a biopace triple crankset on ebay. You could run your outer ring on the middle position and the small ring in its proper place if you want a 48/28 double or similar, or you could run the triple and get a slightly longer spindle. As is the case with conversions like this, you'll need to think about bottom bracket spindle length to manage the chain line, chain length, and a long cage rear derailleur.
Old 08-17-20, 11:17 AM
lhill 

Thanks a lot for your info....food for thought
Old 08-17-20, 11:54 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
https://velo-orange.com/collections/...-crankset-mkii

$200 gets you a new 46/30 square taper crankset.
VeloOrange always have a Winter sale, usually between Thanksgiving and Xmas.

I bought mine for $100 (maybe $125) on sale ~3 years ago.

But that was before all the price increases from US' anti-trade policies were enacted by traitor drumpft.
Old 08-17-20, 12:35 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
You'll have to look closely at the bio pace triples on eBay. Most of them, and really most bio pace from the 80's-90's came on Mountain bikes so most of the cranks are 175's, not 170 like most road cranks of the day. I had no problems with whatever when younger but I have found lately even 172.5's cause knee issues for me so look at your existing cranks and what you may bid on to make sure the length is something you can use.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 08-17-20, 01:05 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Another option is if you have a Bike co-op in your area they may have used mountain triples that you could get for less than ebay.... also I just put a FSA Vero 50/34 crank on my 89 Allez to get better hill gears. And I was able to get it for about $50. Not biopace but it will be hill Friendly also depending on your # of speeds (6 7 8) and gear type (cassette or Freewheel. You might be able to find a gear cluster with 30 tooth big ring set of gears. You can go to Velo base or Disraeli gears to find out the max teeth your particular rear derailleur can handle and if you really want to geek out check the Sheldon Brown gear calculator low gears are your friend
Old 08-17-20, 02:01 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,206 Posts
Originally Posted by lhill
I wonder if it would be possible to purchase a used Biopace 48-38-28 triple and somehow convert it to a 48-28 double.
This webpage shows the smallest chainring you can use for your double crankset's bolt circle diameter (bcd):

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-bcd.html

Your current setup might work if you have a long cage derailleur and a 32t big rear cog. Changing the rear cluster has a much greater impact on gearing than chainrings. Try playing around with an online gear calculator.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-17-20, 05:32 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Considering the smallest chainring for a 110mm BCD "compact" double is in the low 30s, the cheapest solution is probably that. There should be compact doubles falling from the trees on Ebay (not to mention in the ISO/trade subforum here), and getting the exact chainrings you want should not be a big problem (e.g. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Camapgnolo-...AAOSwdd9e-jXt) unless you're really stuck on Biopace.
In that case I suggest you purchase a complete Biopace triple and get it rigged for your bike. In my experience of converting from double to triple, the FD is a bigger issue than the spindle, i.e. the original spindle has worked just fine most of the time, but often I've needed to get an FD with wider range, because a triple crank typically moves the outer chainring further out than a double, at least in my experience.
Old 08-17-20, 08:16 PM
lhill 

Everyone, many thanks for all your valuable info. I have lots of time to get the gearing better for climbs and you’ve all given me many options. Thanks again!