Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Your folding Bike weight

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Your folding Bike weight

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-21, 12:45 PM
calgarc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Your folding Bike weight

Here's a fun little thread... How much do your folders weigh? My current build weighs in at just 22.8lb as a single speed with a steel frameset.
Old 03-07-21, 02:10 PM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Share a photo
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 03-07-21, 02:11 PM
Pinigis 

My Dragon is 23 pounds.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 03-07-21, 02:51 PM
calgarc

Originally Posted by Pinigis
Share a photo

https://www.bikeforums.net/21943327-post12.html

from another thread
Old 03-07-21, 06:03 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
I have several that weigh 50 pounds or more. The only light weight ones are the 2 Bike Fridays we own.. Those are under 25 pounds. Roger
Old 03-07-21, 06:42 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
My main folding bike rolls like a suitcase when folded. As long as I move within an infrastructure friendly towards handicapped people, its weight is about as important as paint finish.
Old 03-07-21, 07:39 PM
calgarc

anything under 25lb is fine for me, as I used to ride road bikes before I switched over.
Old 03-07-21, 08:38 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
My Dahon Mu is 21.5 lbs (got rid of the pump seat post among other things). My Bike Friday pakiT is 19lbs including all my accessories on the handlebar (Spurcycle bell, wireless computer, revelate feedbag). All weights include saddle and pedals.
But weight matters a lot to me, as I have to lift and carry up multiple flights of steps, and I'm a tiny wimpy lady.
Old 03-07-21, 09:12 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by linberl
My Dahon Mu is 21.5 lbs (got rid of the pump seat post among other things). My Bike Friday pakiT is 19lbs including all my accessories on the handlebar (Spurcycle bell, wireless computer, revelate feedbag). All weights include saddle and pedals.
But weight matters a lot to me, as I have to lift and carry up multiple flights of steps, and I'm a tiny wimpy lady.
How silly is it that someone would list the weight of their bike without seat or pedals? Who do you know that rides without those?
Old 03-07-21, 10:59 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis
How silly is it that someone would list the weight of their bike without seat or pedals? Who do you know that rides without those?
It's silly but many manufacturers do - and because there can be a huge difference in the weight of different saddles and pedals, I'm guess that's the reason. When I switched from a Brooks to a carbon Fiziik my bike lost a LOT of weight. The saddles usually included with bikes are often padded and heavy. I actually don't know anyone who rides with the saddle that came with their bike, lol. Same with pedals - a lot of the folding pedals are super heavy. Since folks do tend to use their own preferred saddle and pedals/clipless, calculating the weight without those gives them a solid reference point.

That's why I mention it, because it is a common industry practice to leave them out of the weight calculations. Very few manufacturers include them (maybe you do, I don't know) and it's meaningless if you're gonna replace, anyway.
Old 03-08-21, 04:57 PM
calgarc

lol they do that on race bikes... "weights only 900 grams, lightest road bike ever" (frameset only) lolol
Old 03-08-21, 09:20 PM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
There is a lot of variance in the same model of bike with different components:
My leather Velo Orange saddle weighs 480 grams.I have a light weight ass hatchet that weighs 200. I have 58 and a 38 tooth chainrings on my Brompton which weigh more thn just one 44 tooth. I have cork Ergon grips and 4 inch Al bullhorns with paracord twining. My Marathons are a couple of hundred grams more than Kojaks or Racers. With the 177% Sturmey 3 speed it weighs almost a pound more than with the two speed rear wheel. I also catty a tool which weighs quite a bit. I am sure my Brompton weighs at least 3 lbs more than the stock, fenderless 1 speed I bought, but so what. Its gearing, comfort and utility are about perfect for where I ride and I can fix most things with the tools and patches I carry. I ride bikes for exercise and while a really heavy one is less fun, mine is more than ok. What really is unappealing is the work needed to push a bike with stiff, heavy studded snow tires, be it a mtn bike, a road bike or my Brompton. That's why I only use studded snows when the alternative is walking or driving. So for me, a 27 lb bike with light flexible tires is more pleasant than a 22 lb bike with stiff, heavy tires.

Last edited by 12boy; 03-08-21 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-09-21, 08:03 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
8.5kg for a BF Pocket Rocket Super Pro, no special lightweight parts.

A lighter build would need carbon forks and seatpost, which would not be hard to get online, but kind of defeats the purpose of the bike (ie. steel and ti seatpost)
Old 03-10-21, 03:10 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Eeek... I have no idea how much mine weigh, as the only scales we have are for the kitchen.

Wifie used to have some scales in the bathroom, until I showed her that they were not making her happy. I can lift my bikes into the back of the car, and I find the best measure is how easy it is to lift the bike rather than its weight.
Old 03-10-21, 12:51 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 283 Posts
My Brompton S2E-X weighs exactly 20.9 lbs on my Feedback Sports scale. My old 6-speed version used to weigh closer to 25 lbs. And I will say that I truly notice the weight difference when riding. Weight does matter (to me). And taking it in and out of the trunk of the car is obviously a lot easier as well.
Old 03-10-21, 01:17 PM
calgarc

Originally Posted by Caliwild
My Brompton S2E-X weighs exactly 20.9 lbs on my Feedback Sports scale. My old 6-speed version used to weigh closer to 25 lbs. And I will say that I truly notice the weight difference when riding. Weight does matter (to me). And taking it in and out of the trunk of the car is obviously a lot easier as well.
you really notice the weight going up steep hills.