Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tire rotational direction.

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-21-21, 10:27 AM
Joearch

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts

Had a flat a couple miles into my ride this morning. When I was finished up I noticed I had put the tire on in a way that was not in the rotating direction. I continued the ride...another 20 miles or so and thought I would switch to the correct direction when I got home. Is that necessary? Conti Ultra Sports 25.
thx for any input
Old 04-21-21, 10:30 AM
Berg417448
Troublemaker

Bikes: Yes. The more the better.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
You probably won't notice any difference.
Likes For Berg417448:
Old 04-21-21, 10:34 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Originally Posted by berg417448
you probably won't notice any difference.
agree

Old 04-21-21, 10:51 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Joearch
Had a flat a couple miles into my ride this morning. When I was finished up I noticed I had put the tire on in a way that was not in the rotating direction. I continued the ride...another 20 miles or so and thought I would switch to the correct direction when I got home. Is that necessary? Conti Ultra Sports 25.
thx for any input
Rotational direction is unimportant on low profile road tires. If you really want to bother your OCD friends (or OCD bike mechanics) mount them backwards. It really messes with their head

Rotational direction can be important in tires with more aggressive tread, however. But probably only with respect to the front tire. The direction of a mountain bike knobby can have an influence on control. Panaracer kind of started the directional tire idea with the introduction of the Dart tire. It works well to help in cornering on loose surfaces.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-21-21, 11:04 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Those tire rotational direction arrows are for people in the southern hemisphere only.
Old 04-21-21, 11:13 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 724 Posts
When I mount them, I mount them according to the directional arrow, but, if I missed it, and mounted it wrong, I wouldn't remount it. I may remove it and remount it the correct direction, if I had it off to fix a flat, but other than that, I wouldn't bother.
Old 04-21-21, 11:14 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
Those tire rotational direction arrows are for people in the southern hemisphere only.
Guys down there HAVE TO mount the tires backwards. If you do so in the north, your bike might explode. (But probably won’t.)
Old 04-21-21, 11:17 AM
Joearch

Love the responses. I figured since the tires have no directional tread it would be no big deal. Thx to all!
Likes For Joearch:
Old 04-21-21, 11:19 AM
Joearch

BTW, While it is not a big deal to most there is a sense of accomplishment to bust out the repair kit, fix a flat and continue on your way. Made my ride more fun.
Likes For Joearch:
Old 04-21-21, 12:44 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Originally Posted by Joearch
there is a sense of accomplishment to bust out the repair kit, fix a flat and continue on your way
Even more so, if the flat you fixed was for a stranger you found walking their bike

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 04-21-21, 12:45 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I'd not have anything to cause me to believe the direction of rotation might cause you a flat or anything adverse.

If you can find any manufacturer reference for why, then for those I've found they talk about water displacement or traction on other than paved surfaces. Likely it won't make a difference until you are next to the last decimal place of needing that extra bit of whatever.

Though if I see the arrow, I put it on accordingly. But I wouldn't change one that I noticed later until something else required dismounting the tire.
Old 04-21-21, 07:35 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
The biggest problem with tires mounted backwards is people finding out

As long as the road/trail surface isn't impressionable (soft) and the tire tread can't engage that surface the mounting direction is not important

back in the 1990s IRC offered a tandem "specific" tire with a directional tread (road intended with a 700x30 labeled "size"). When mounted as the arrow suggested it whined under power. When mounted reverse it was quiet. Andy
Old 04-21-21, 08:25 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Next you're going to tell us you didn't line up the 'C' in Continental with valve stem aren't you, you monster?
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 04-21-21, 09:22 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I have three bikes with road Vittoria Rubino tires in 700-23 and, of the 6 tires, only one has a directional arrow. Why? I have no idea. It is mounted backwards because I didn't know to look and a 50/50 chance had it come out that way. 2000 miles later I've not noticed any problems.
Old 04-21-21, 09:53 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
Actually, the right mounting for the rear tire is to have it opposite to the 'rotation' direction, so if you misoriented the rear tire you may have it 'right' now . I try to watch the direction when mounting, but I never bother to switch if I make a mistake. It just makes too little difference under most conditions to bother. When riding in bad mud it might matter or under some snow conditions. If you align the manufacturer's name with the vent, you might want to have a good direction to facilitate tracing any punctures tied to the rim. I actually never look for an arrow that may be there or not or difficult to find. The tread's tree branches need to stretch out forward on the ground for the front tire and backward for the rear.
Old 04-22-21, 10:10 AM
Joearch

Riding in Los Angeles I don’t see a lot of snow or mud. I’m always on paved bike paths and roads. So the orientation of the tire on the rim is not very important. This is actually my spare bike. If this was on my primary bike (Bianchi) out of principal I would have to switch the tire so the God‘s will be pleased.
Old 04-22-21, 10:49 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
If I had a dime for every time I've put a tire back on backwards, or saw someone else with a tire on backwards, or even went to assemble a brand new bike that had a tire on backwards... you'll be fine. Heck, the tandem I bought in Feb has a tire on backwards and I'm just waiting until it gets a flat to bother turning it around.
Old 04-22-21, 10:52 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
If there is enough tread to make a difference in the rotational direction, then it seems to me the front and rear have to be mounted in opposite directions. The rear bites in when you accelerate, and the front bites in when you brake.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-22-21, 12:24 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 724 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
If there is enough tread to make a difference in the rotational direction, then it seems to me the front and rear have to be mounted in opposite directions. The rear bites in when you accelerate, and the front bites in when you brake.
When I raced BMX, many, many years...40 years ago, we used to mount the tires in different directions. I honestly forget which was mounted which way, as dementia has set in at my advanced age.
Old 04-22-21, 02:34 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
I remembering hearing that on treaded tires, the purpose of the directional arrows was to move rain water from the center outwards.

On my mountain bikes I like the front center outward for sand sections, have no idea if it really helps, and reversing the rear for better climbing.

John
Old 04-22-21, 04:25 PM
acm

Bikes: '84 Centurion Pro Tour 15; '97 Cannondale M900

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
With the exception of the bead size, almost everything written on the side of a tire has little connection to reality
Old 04-22-21, 04:59 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I believe that is true for wider, dirt tires, but don't think it matters on skinny road tires.

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I remembering hearing that on treaded tires, the purpose of the directional arrows was to move rain water from the center outwards.
I read that slicks actually have the best wet traction on bicycle tires because water does not get trapped underneath them like they do for flat profiled car tires. No idea if that's true or not.
Old 04-22-21, 05:15 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I read that slicks actually have the best wet traction on bicycle tires because water does not get trapped underneath them like they do for flat profiled car tires. No idea if that's true or not.
Yes, the basically V shape of bike tires prevents hydroplaning, unless you're going 100mph (or so). Motorcycle tires, being a little wider, can hydroplane at lower speeds but still much less than a flat car tire. More important to have a compound that sticks to wet roads for bicycle tires.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 04-22-21, 06:53 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I believe that is true for wider, dirt tires, but don't think it matters on skinny road tires.
Right. I read somewhere that Continental puts directional arrows on their road tires only to satisfy customer demand, not because they're any good at all.

Yup. Jobst Brandt tested tires in the 80s, and that led to totally smooth slick tires, first on Avocet tires. It went contrary to our intuitions, but they're fine. It seems we've backed off from that, so maybe the light treads we have help a little bit, maybe not. I ride very lightly treaded tires and took them on a rough trail yesterday. I was fine but there wasn't much loose tread on the sloped portions. And we know very well that too much slows us down when the road is smooth.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-22-21, 08:43 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
If someone complains, show them that when you speed up they can't tell which way it's oriented.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.