Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Heart Rate

Old 07-13-21, 02:25 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
So true and its a bad idea to invite a physician, especially a cardiologist, to find something wrong with you.
Originally Posted by MoAlpha

Most of them are very good at what they do, but they are biased as a group by the amount of disease they see and often over-interpret findings in healthy people who wander under their gaze. Remember also that cardiologists’ offices are the money-losing front end of a ravenous beast with a huge profit center in its belly where the cath labs and ORs lie. The system is full of perverse incentives and you can find yourself on your back with a hose in your groin or your sternum split before you have a chance to think critically about it.
I had an abnormal ECG. I also kept falling asleep to the point I would have sleep on the side of the road during a training ride. Another rider woke me up once because he thought I was dead (car hit me). My heart stops many times during the night up to 8 seconds. Wakes me up like a jolt of adrenaline hits me and then cannot sleep. I also get dizzy. So, I had to let them drag me thru all those tests. I have actually be laying there and my heart is not beating for 5-10 seconds. It is freakin scary. I agree with your point of view, this is why I got multiple opinions. I personally think my messed up cervical spine and associated pain is the root cause, but going into that theory is a bit much. I have to give them credit, they did not do an unnecessary procedure on me. I was expecting them to tell me to stop exercising or to tell me what level to exercise. They did not. I had to think about it and realized, that is not what they do. They save lives. They are not athletic trainers.
Old 07-13-21, 02:38 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by ChamoisDavisJr
It's right there in the name! He's 62 (In addition to being Superman!)

Or born in '62...?

Based on the results from my own EKG and those of my cycling friends...you should have an "abnormal" test. Meaning your HR is lower than average so that it comes out as abnormal because the Tech who runs the test will have the baseline HR set to high. *Usually* cyclists are well under the average and will trip an abnormal result.!
Not me. My resting HR is quite normal, though I have been a relatively high-mileage cyclist for about 18 yrs.
Old 07-13-21, 02:45 PM
ChamoisDavisJr
ri alene

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Not me. My resting HR is quite normal, though I have been a relatively high-mileage cyclist for about 18 yrs.
My buddies have GhostRider type resting HR too. Like in the low 40's. I just recently had an EKG and I believe my resting HR was around 55, maybe? So certainly not THAT low...but the Tech did say that it's looking for a rate of 60 and above during that part of the exam...which is why mine triggered as an "abnormal" test...and the Tech basically said "nothing abnormal about it" just the way it's set up.
Old 07-14-21, 12:34 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
+1
Mine is around 60 when I’m at my fittest. Never been ultra-low, but has been over 70 at times when my fitness has dropped off through lack of training etc.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-18-21, 07:31 PM
nickm001

Bikes: Kona Explosif 2015, Cannondale DeltaV700,93 and Cannondale F1000 Lefty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There seems to be misunderstanding about stress test and reasons why to go and see cardiologist in regards to exercise. It is prudent to check if you have any issue with heart before trying to do any heavy exercise. Usual EKG done in Dr office is done while you are resting and it may be normal. Some of the problems only show while you are exercising and that is why you do stress test. During the test usually done on treadmill load will be incrementally increased which cause higher HR. There is a point when HR reaches plateau and even if you increase the load, it will not go higher. That is your maxHR. Very seldom in normal life you hit that point. When you know your maxHR and your resting HR, you can calculate zones (levels) for your training. It is prudent to do stress test every 5-7 years or so to make sure that you dont hurt yourself. This was a recommendation for anyone over 40 from the company I worked for. Sort of insurance policy, preventive measure.
Old 07-21-21, 07:17 PM
koenbro 

Bikes: 1994 Trek 520, 1987 Bianchi Brava, 1962 Ideor Super

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Has anyone who is healthy had an MD tell them how hard to exercise?

I saw 4 Cardiologists and two Pulmonologists in 2019. None of them told me how hard or how long to exercise. All of the Cardiologists were very supportive and honest WRT to the condition I presented with. The Electrophysiologist Cardiologist told me, "it was an honor to meet an old guy so fit, Total Respect"....."Keep doing whatever it is you are doing" and when I went to check out, the Reception wanted to know when he wanted to see me again. I told her, "Never" and she said, "Impossible, that never happened in 13 years". The top dog Sports Cardiologists basically told me they did all the tests they could and just live my life and keep riding. Nothing like.....keep it to zone 2 or a HR of 120 BPM. None of these six experts gave me any advice on intensity or duration of exercise and I made it clear I often ride nonstop for 12 hours or more. One asked my longest ride and I sheepishly admitted it and he said, "Cool".

Bottomline, MDs treat problems. If you don't have a problem, why would they be your trainer.

There is a profound difference between a physician and an exercise physiologist. Typical clinicians (=physicians) do not think in terms of zones and are not trained to provide coaching advice to healthy athletes who desire to improve their fitness.
Likes For koenbro:
Old 07-22-21, 01:51 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by koenbro
There is a profound difference between a physician and an exercise physiologist. Typical clinicians (=physicians) do not think in terms of zones and are not trained to provide coaching advice to healthy athletes who desire to improve their fitness.
So, you agree with me