Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

I just witnessed a cyclist die after being hit by a car.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-10, 11:45 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts

Its hard to write this as I'm still somewhat rattled over what I witnessed this morning.

I live in Miami. This morning I was riding on the Rickenbacker Causeway, which is a favorite cycling route on the weekends for hundreds, if not thousands of cyclists. As I approach the Bear Cut bridge, which is two lanes in each direction, with a divider, and a fairly wide break down lane that doubles as a bike lane, I see a group of stopped cyclists waving to cars to move to the left hand lane. As I get closer, there is a cyclist on the right hand edge of the break down lane in a pool of blood, bright red arterial blood mixed with what looks like spinal fluid and some brain matter. He is bleeding out of his ears and mouth.

One or two other cyclists, one of whom is a paramedic are already helping him. He is breathing about 3 or 4 times a minute. They don't detect a pulse in his wrist. The police arrive shortly and they have a hand operted respirator which the paramedic starts to use as another person does chest compressions. It takes almost half an hour for the ambulance to come. I was told by other cyclists later he died at the scene. I salute the cyclist parmedic. He cooly took control of a chaotic scene and did everything he could to save this guys life but his injuries were too great.

The guy that hit him didn't stop, dragging the cyclists bicycle about five miles before it fell off. He was caught by police as he was arriving at his house. A group of us find out where the driver is and head out there. The car, a smaller VW, has the windshield broken and caved in a good ten inches. The windshield frame at the top is pushed back about 8 inches and there is even damage to the sunroof. Based on the damage, the driver had to be going 60mph+ in a 40-45 mph zone. I suspect that since the car hit the cyclist from behind, the back of the cyclists head hit the windshield frame which caused the fatal injury.

The driver is sitting in the back seat of one of the cop cars, but I can't see him because of the tinted windows. He's lucky the cops had him because there was an angry mob of cyclists that wanted revenge.

I just can't fathom how someone can hit another human being and just take off and leave the person on the side of the road like he had hit a dog.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 01-17-10, 11:57 AM
GraysonPeddie

Bikes: Trek Pure Trike (recently bought)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My god... My thoughts, condolences, and prayers go out to the cyclist and families for what had happen and I hope the cyclist will rest fairly in peace.

This will surely bring out a lot of tears for families of cyclist.

Be safe in the road, everyone.
Old 01-17-10, 12:03 PM
hopefullywild

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy ****. I don't have words.
Old 01-17-10, 12:09 PM
San Rensho 

Just look at some of the comments that have been posted in Miami-Herald.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/miam...y/1430338.html

1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 01-17-10, 12:16 PM
Yaniel
SLO-1

Bikes: '09 BMC Road Racer SL01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow, i was on key biscayne this morning, but after the bridge was closed. i was hoping it wasnt another cyclist but when i got home i saw the herald article. like i said in my comment on the herald page, what kind of person drags a bike for 4 miles after hitting someone and not knowing or caring what condition they left them in. this is sick and i hope that person gets the worst of everything life has to offer.
Old 01-17-10, 12:33 PM
ochizon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got there once the road was blocked off, and had an inkling something bad had happened, but dear god, I had no idea it was of such a brutal nature. I was riding with Yani (posted just above me).

RIP to this rider...
Old 01-17-10, 12:33 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Yaniel
what kind of person drags a bike for 4 miles after hitting someone and not knowing or caring what condition they left them in.
Apparently, an average person in today's society. I would think that the driver had a good sight line for quite a distance in that area.

My condolences to his family.
Old 01-17-10, 12:43 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by San Rensho

Boy, that seegodbegood sonofabytch is in need of a real beatdown.
Old 01-17-10, 12:46 PM
ausGeoff
E—Bike Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for reporting this tragic incident so thoughtfully and with obvious compassion San Rensho. My thoughts are also with you too, as none of us should ever have to witness this sort of thing.

Accidents like this certainly make us — as vulnerable cyclists — more aware of just how tenuous our (perceived) immortality is. And yes; one sometimes wonders about the state of mind of those that surround us in public places. In my book, hit-and-run drivers in particular are the scum of the earth.

In Australia, we have an offense called "culpable driving causing death" which can carry a gaol sentence of many years. Let's hope they take that guy off the roads under a similar US law.

Take care guys.
Old 01-17-10, 12:55 PM
San Rensho 

Originally Posted by ausGeoff
Thank you for reporting this tragic incident so thoughtfully and with obvious compassion San Rensho. My thoughts are also with you too, as none of us should ever have to witness this sort of thing.
Accidents like this certainly make us — as vulnerable cyclists — more aware of just how tenuous our (perceived) immortality is. And yes; one sometimes wonders about the state of mind of those that surround us in public places. In my book, hit-and-run drivers in particular are the scum of the earth.

In Australia, we have an offense called "culpable driving causing death" which can carry a gaol sentence of many years. Let's hope they take that guy off the roads under a similar US law.

Take care guys.
Thanks so much. I've witnessed some other gruesome car accidents, but this one really hit home.

1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 01-17-10, 01:25 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
From the article:

The driver apparently dragged the crumpled bike for four miles. It's unclear if the driver fled the scene.
Four miles from the accident? It's pretty clear he fled the scene of the accident. This quote is probably the st00pidest two consecutive sentences a journalist could write.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 01-17-10, 01:29 PM
San Rensho 

Originally Posted by Doohickie
From the article:

Four miles from the accident? It's pretty clear he fled the scene of the accident. This quote is probably the st00pidest two consecutive sentences a journalist could write.
The windshield was so shattered, you could barely see out of it. He definitely fled.

1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 01-17-10, 01:37 PM
crhilton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

They could have removed a lot of stuff, but it does look like it's just "seekgoodbegood." The rest of the people seem pretty shocked that garbage lives in their midst.
Old 01-17-10, 01:39 PM
GraysonPeddie

Bikes: Trek Pure Trike (recently bought)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who couldn't agree more with beesonic?

seekgoodbegood,

from the bottom of my heart and representing all cyclist of this community (which are way more than 10,000): GO TO HELL!
And I really do not ever hope your family suffers the way the family of this cyclist is suffering today.
And you call yourself "seekgoodbegood"... You have serious issues.
I know that's uncalled for but seriously, I agree with beesonic.

Update: Guys, seekgoodbegood is a troll. Don't let it get to you all.

Last edited by GraysonPeddie; 01-17-10 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-17-10, 01:43 PM
Buddha4

Bikes: 12 Salsa Vaya 2/10 Specialized Rockhopper SL/08 Specialized Roubaix Elite/

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
From the article:

+1 not sure how that doesn't automatically qualify as a hit and run; unless they figure if the victim is "with" the vehicle then the there's no issue.
Old 01-17-10, 03:21 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Regrets to the family.

Hope that the drivers gets a long jail sentence.

Terrible writing at the Miami Herald.

As to seekgoodbegood and comrades, by coming out of their holes and posting their hate for others to see does a service to cyclist. Most motorist would never believe cyclist stories about how much hate can exist towards them on the roads. seekgoodbegood has shocked many of those motorist into that realization.
Old 01-17-10, 03:39 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Goes to show that some motorists look upon cyclists as some deer in the road, I even got into a heated debate with someone on another forum about them having far more remorse in hitting one of "God's creatures" than a cyclist.

My thoughts are also with the cyclist and his family.
Old 01-17-10, 04:05 PM
Kurt Erlenbach

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CB HI
Regrets to the family.

Hope that the drivers gets a long jail sentence.

Terrible writing at the Miami Herald.

As to seekgoodbegood and comrades, by coming out of their holes and posting their hate for others to see does a service to cyclist. Most motorist would never believe cyclist stories about how much hate can exist towards them on the roads. seekgoodbegood has shocked many of those motorist into that realization.
+1,000,000
Old 01-17-10, 04:05 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm sorry you had to witness that.

Don't read the newspaper comments, true ignorance.
Old 01-17-10, 04:42 PM
Kurt Erlenbach

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
San Rensho notes that it took half an hour for an ambulance to arrive. Here is a comment from a poster n one of the Miami TV stations:

"my bike group, Colada, was the first to arrive to help the gentlemen that had been injured by the hit and run, I immeadiately called 911 at 8:04, I had to explain in detail what the Bear Cut Bridge was, then different members of our group continued to call 911 for 22 minutes while this poor victus was bleeding and suffering, the police offers explained that their was an issue of whether he ambulance should come from Village of Key Biscayne, The County of the City...all of these childish disputes were occuring while this man was dying..Maybe his life would have been saved if a Village of Key Biscayne Ambulace would have come to rescue him, they were only 5 minutes away and they never came. I am praying for this man's family and I hope the laws are changed so this tragedy never happens again."

So the delay was the result of a conflict between jurisdictions about who should send an ambulance. Pitiful
Old 01-17-10, 05:08 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Its hard to write this as I'm still somewhat rattled over what I witnessed this morning.

I live in Miami. This morning I was riding on the Rickenbacker Causeway, which is a favorite cycling route on the weekends for hundreds, if not thousands of cyclists. As I approach the Bear Cut bridge, which is two lanes in each direction, with a divider, and a fairly wide break down lane that doubles as a bike lane, I see a group of stopped cyclists waving to cars to move to the left hand lane. As I get closer, there is a cyclist on the right hand edge of the break down lane in a pool of blood, bright red arterial blood mixed with what looks like spinal fluid and some brain matter. He is bleeding out of his ears and mouth.

One or two other cyclists, one of whom is a paramedic are already helping him. He is breathing about 3 or 4 times a minute. They don't detect a pulse in his wrist. The police arrive shortly and they have a hand operted respirator which the paramedic starts to use as another person does chest compressions. It takes almost half an hour for the ambulance to come. I was told by other cyclists later he died at the scene. I salute the cyclist parmedic. He cooly took control of a chaotic scene and did everything he could to save this guys life but his injuries were too great.

The guy that hit him didn't stop, dragging the cyclists bicycle about five miles before it fell off. He was caught by police as he was arriving at his house. A group of us find out where the driver is and head out there. The car, a smaller VW, has the windshield broken and caved in a good ten inches. The windshield frame at the top is pushed back about 8 inches and there is even damage to the sunroof. Based on the damage, the driver had to be going 60mph+ in a 40-45 mph zone. I suspect that since the car hit the cyclist from behind, the back of the cyclists head hit the windshield frame which caused the fatal injury.

The driver is sitting in the back seat of one of the cop cars, but I can't see him because of the tinted windows. He's lucky the cops had him because there was an angry mob of cyclists that wanted revenge.

I just can't fathom how someone can hit another human being and just take off and leave the person on the side of the road like he had hit a dog.
I am so glad the guy was caught. Hopefully, The legal system will do more to him, than was done to the doctor in Los Angeles that purposely stopped in front of two cyclists, causing one to crash through the back window of his car.
Old 01-17-10, 05:55 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is indeed horrible. I have no words for this. Condolences to his family. I'm glad I didn't witness anything like that. It won't bring his life back but I can only hope justice is served, but I have little trust in our "justice system".

Adam
Old 01-17-10, 05:57 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kerlenbach
San Rensho notes that it took half an hour for an ambulance to arrive. Here is a comment from a poster n one of the Miami TV stations:

"my bike group, Colada, was the first to arrive to help the gentlemen that had been injured by the hit and run, I immeadiately called 911 at 8:04, I had to explain in detail what the Bear Cut Bridge was, then different members of our group continued to call 911 for 22 minutes while this poor victus was bleeding and suffering, the police offers explained that their was an issue of whether he ambulance should come from Village of Key Biscayne, The County of the City...all of these childish disputes were occuring while this man was dying..Maybe his life would have been saved if a Village of Key Biscayne Ambulace would have come to rescue him, they were only 5 minutes away and they never came. I am praying for this man's family and I hope the laws are changed so this tragedy never happens again."

So the delay was the result of a conflict between jurisdictions about who should send an ambulance. Pitiful
One would think that logically that the emergency vehicle(s) should come from the agency that is physically closet to the scene.

I mean as we saw in this incident minutes count. Had the victim received medical care in a timely manner he might still be alive.
Old 01-17-10, 06:05 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
this only makes me think of how I was hit, but I was lucky to come out relatively unharmed.
Old 01-17-10, 06:14 PM
crhilton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kerlenbach

It's not pitiful, it's sick and stupid. Seems like there's some need, in Florida, for the state to dispatch ambulances. The municipalities and counties are clearly not up to the job. I would accept 30 seconds of decision making on that, or even a minute, but anything more than that is ridiculous. What's the point of 911 and sirens if they take more than a minute to decide who goes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.