Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

You Are Not Going To Believe This

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-21-20, 04:24 PM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts

This guy was up on the Bike Path with his car going West at speed and I mean at speed it looks like at night. Somehow he clips the little retaining wall on top of the levee, launches his car over the retaining wall, takes out the short fence on top of the retaining wall and lands down range on the other side of the levee. This is on the bike path on top of the levee. I do not know when this happened but the police were on the scene at my sunrise rec ride on the bike path.

Likes For mjac:
Old 04-21-20, 04:30 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
One might suspect alcohol was involved
Likes For jon c.:
Old 04-21-20, 04:35 PM
ecsuser

Bikes: Sirrus 5.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
One might suspect alcohol was involved
or this might belong in the 65 - 85 year old's thread
Likes For ecsuser:
Old 04-21-20, 04:46 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by ecsuser
Hey, I take off-fence to that!
Old 04-21-20, 06:13 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Wish the gas-heads in Atlanta had such luck....
Old 04-21-20, 07:32 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by ecsuser
Hey, we don't need no stinkin' Accord for that. We use minivans.
Old 04-21-20, 07:34 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,376 Times in 3,689 Posts
That'll buff right out.
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 04-21-20, 07:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Hey, I take off-fence to that!
That comment was a barrier to all ages joining the forum and might send this whole thing crashing down. I wheely hope we don't start ageism here. It's not the gas people think it is.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-21-20, 08:38 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
It's entirely possible the driver fell asleep and drove from the roadway up the concrete embankment and launched into the fence, which then slowed the vehicle's forward progress enough to leave it where it sat in the OP's pics. Or, aliens.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 04-21-20, 09:47 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
It's entirely possible the driver fell asleep and drove from the roadway up the concrete embankment and launched into the fence, which then slowed the vehicle's forward progress enough to leave it where it sat in the OP's pics. Or, aliens.
Nope, where the car came to rest is a good 50 yards West of the point of impact. The point of impact is established by two of the fence posts that were sheared off at their base clean without even pulling up the base mounted to the small sea wall. The bumper which was the first contact came off about 21 feet east of the point of impact. He was traveling east to west on top of the Bike Path the same direction the car is pointing at a high rate of speed. For that car to launch itself over the small sea wall and carry another 100 yards past where it went over the sea wall, he had to be going 40 - 50 mph as a good guess. That's 40 - 50 mph on a 9' wide bike path lined with 3' square concrete trash cans most probably at night. Go figure.

Edit: I actually paced it off this morning instead of working from memory and from where the car first hit the wall to where it ended up is 50 yards. Part of the bumper you see in one of the pictures is 21 feet before where the car went over the wall.

Last edited by mjac; 04-22-20 at 06:12 AM.
Old 04-21-20, 09:57 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
man in a hurry..... stuff happens.
Old 04-21-20, 09:58 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
I believe it because I've seen much worse.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 04-21-20, 10:54 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac
Nope, where the car came to rest is a good 100 yards West of the point of impact. The point of impact is established by two of the fence posts that were sheared off at their base clean without even pulling up the base mounted to the small sea wall. The bumper which was the first contact came off about 20 yards east of the point of impact. He was traveling east to west on top of the Bike Path the same direction the car is pointing at a high rate of speed. For that car to launch itself over the small sea wall and carry another 100 yards past where it went over the sea wall, he had to be going 40 - 50 mph as a good guess. That's 40 - 50 mph on a 9' wide bike path lined with 3' square concrete trash cans most probably at night. Go figure.

Maybe he was tired of paying way too much for name brand bike shorts, and severely overpaying for waterproof (but not very breathable) jackets and decided to end it all right there on the wrong side of the tracks? That seems a lot more plausible to me.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 04-22-20, 12:08 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Nope, where the car came to rest is a good 100 yards West of the point of impact. The point of impact is established by two of the fence posts that were sheared off at their base clean without even pulling up the base mounted to the small sea wall. The bumper which was the first contact came off about 20 yards east of the point of impact. He was traveling east to west on top of the Bike Path the same direction the car is pointing at a high rate of speed. For that car to launch itself over the small sea wall and carry another 100 yards past where it went over the sea wall, he had to be going 40 - 50 mph as a good guess. That's 40 - 50 mph on a 9' wide bike path lined with 3' square concrete trash cans most probably at night. Go figure.
But if he was on the bike path, how did the car launch over the concrete? Lifting off from going up the embankment seems the only logical explanation. Though you did say "you are not going to believe this". Did you see it happen live?
Old 04-22-20, 01:44 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
But if he was on the bike path, how did the car launch over the concrete? Lifting off from going up the embankment seems the only logical explanation. Though you did say "you are not going to believe this". Did you see it happen live?
I agree. Not being familiar with that road design it's hard to interpret the pictures but surely he must have hit the fence from the railway line side or the fence would be down the other way.
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 04-22-20, 06:15 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by Wildwood
man in a hurry..... stuff happens.
On a bike path, on top of a levee, at night?
Old 04-22-20, 06:20 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by Reynolds
I believe it because I've seen much worse.
You are right, but the location of this on a 9' wide bike path on top of a levee at night is really bizarre.
Old 04-22-20, 06:27 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Maybe he was tired of paying way too much for name brand bike shorts, and severely overpaying for waterproof (but not very breathable) jackets and decided to end it all right there on the wrong side of the tracks? That seems a lot more plausible to me.
Or maybe AdkMtnMonster doesn't know what he is talking about and is running his mouth. That is where my money is.
Old 04-22-20, 06:35 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
That comment was a barrier to all ages joining the forum and might send this whole thing crashing down. I wheely hope we don't start ageism here. It's not the gas people think it is.
I wasn't really offended, just couldn't pass up a good pun! Besides, we seniors have a good time making fun of millenials (again, kidding!) So long as we're all one cycling community, it's all good.
So, while we are all trying our best to have a good time until this virus clears out, let's ride, have some fun, joke with one another, and do our best to stay well and fit. Don't take things too seriously, I'm sure it was "tongue in cheek".
Old 04-22-20, 06:44 AM
ZHVelo

Originally Posted by jgwilliams
I agree. Not being familiar with that road design it's hard to interpret the pictures but surely he must have hit the fence from the railway line side or the fence would be down the other way.
On a bike path, on top of a levee, at night?
So was he on the side of the railway? What jg said makes a lot of sense.
Old 04-22-20, 06:48 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by jgwilliams
Maybe I can get more pictures to better explain what happened but I examined the whole scene much closer this morning. There are chips out of the flood wall on the bike path side where he went over the wall shearing two fence posts off right at their base tearing the weld that held the post to the base. There is also rubber tire tracks climbing the wall from the bike path side and over the top of the wall. Part of his bumper which you see in one of the pictures is on the bike path 21 feet before where he went over the wall. He was on the bike path headed in the direction the car is pointing at a high rate of speed. I paced it this morning and the car is 50 yards past where the car went over the wall.

I have no explanation as to why the fence is laying on the bike path. I can only guess the cops might have pulled it over so they could climb down the wall but that is a wild guess.
Old 04-22-20, 06:54 AM
mjac

So was he on the side of the railway? What jg said makes a lot of sense.
Nope, he was on the bike path heading in the same direction the car is pointing going at a high rate of speed. See explanation which might be right above or below your post.
Old 04-22-20, 08:24 AM
ZHVelo

Nope, he was on the bike path heading in the same direction the car is pointing going at a high rate of speed. See explanation which might be right above or below your post.
Crazy!
Old 04-22-20, 08:33 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,272 Times in 7,224 Posts

My new Showers Pass jacket arrived last week.
Old 04-22-20, 08:44 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by indyfabz

My new Showers Pass jacket arrived last week.
One day I will figure out your relevancy. Along with your buddy.
Likes For mjac:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.