Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What tool do I need for this eccentric tensioner?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-22, 04:57 PM
juntjoo

Bikes: Cannondale Bent 2, Fuji Royale, Mongoose Snare

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

The holes for the spanner wrench seem to be Allen sockets

Would this somehow work
https://Park Tool Bicycle Bottom Brac...0SV4G9GFQBANBQ

Old 05-31-22, 05:29 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
The proper sixed hex key. A pin spanner or a drift punch/nail to act as a pin tool. The link didn't open for me but a Park SPA-1 or 2 would be the first tools I'd try.

Do know that these eccentric Al inserts often are hard to get moving and the wedge can be really tight. Once loosened and moving if it was a struggle than take the time to do the maintenance, pull it all apart, clean and use anti seize on reassembly. Andy
Old 05-31-22, 05:36 PM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The proper sixed hex key. A pin spanner or a drift punch/nail to act as a pin tool.
what do you mean by this?
Old 05-31-22, 05:46 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

There's a draw boly that pulls the eccentric's wedge tight, This bolt needs a hex key, an Allen wrench. Likely 4 or 5mm by the look.

The FW's threaded race usually have two "pin" holes for a tightening tool. Their depth is lacking to readily hold a pin spanner's rnd well. So to get the large amount of tightening forces needed an impact punch angled in either (both, one at a time) hole is the typical way to drive that race down tight. Andy
Old 06-01-22, 08:18 AM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
There's a draw boly that pulls the eccentric's wedge tight, This bolt needs a hex key, an Allen wrench. Likely 4 or 5mm by the look.

The FW's threaded race usually have two "pin" holes for a tightening tool. Their depth is lacking to readily hold a pin spanner's rnd well. So to get the large amount of tightening forces needed an impact punch angled in either (both, one at a time) hole is the typical way to drive that race down tight. Andy

IDK what a "pin spanner" or "draw boly" is or the "wedge". Nor do I know why the two of the 3 hex holes are hex. I think they're what you mean by "pin" but they're hex as if there is a spanner wrench made of two Allen wrenches. Not sure what I'm working with here. How would you suggest I take it apart? I saw in a couple videos rather than a spanner wrench they used a lever against an Allen wrench and I see others have done the same with mine damaging it so I don't want to do that. Should 8 be looking for some proprietary tool? Thanks
Old 06-01-22, 10:33 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

The eccentric has a wedge shaped portion of it's outer surface that can slide along the larger body. This wedge acts like a common stem wedge expanding within the fork to hold the stem is place. Only the BB shell is the tube the eccentric is held in. So to be able to rotate the eccentric to adjust chain tension one must first loosen that wedge. There will be at least on (sometimes 2) long bolts that pull the wedge up the eccentric's angled surface. Just like a quill stem wedge can become stuck in place and needs a tap from a hammer on the draw bolt's top the eccentric's wedge bolt(s) will also likely need some "encouragement" to loosen and thus allow the wedge to recede back and the eccentric to then be moveable.

Ther are usually a couple of holes to insert a tool to grip the eccentric and act as a lever that can rotate it within the shell. These holes might be shared with the draw bolt(s) but often are separate features. This tool might be a pin spanner (google that) but could also be a couple of rods/nails/allen wrenches that are poked into the holes and a screw driver placed between the rods and used as the lever.

Perhaps searching for a vid of adjusting a tandem eccentric might provide more help. Describing this procedure takes far longer than doing the actual adjustment. Andy
Old 06-02-22, 12:43 AM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
The eccentric has a wedge shaped portion of it's outer surface that can slide along the larger body. This wedge acts like a common stem wedge expanding within the fork to hold the stem is place. Only the BB shell is the tube the eccentric is held in. So to be able to rotate the eccentric to adjust chain tension one must first loosen that wedge. There will be at least on (sometimes 2) long bolts that pull the wedge up the eccentric's angled surface. Just like a quill stem wedge can become stuck in place and needs a tap from a hammer on the draw bolt's top the eccentric's wedge bolt(s) will also likely need some "encouragement" to loosen and thus allow the wedge to recede back and the eccentric to then be moveable.

Ther are usually a couple of holes to insert a tool to grip the eccentric and act as a lever that can rotate it within the shell. These holes might be shared with the draw bolt(s) but often are separate features. This tool might be a pin spanner (google that) but could also be a couple of rods/nails/allen wrenches that are poked into the holes and a screw driver placed between the rods and used as the lever.

Perhaps searching for a vid of adjusting a tandem eccentric might provide more help. Describing this procedure takes far longer than doing the actual adjustment. Andy
Thanks. I seem to have a rare a one. I've seen others on Amazon and the hex slots are ends of bolts that can turn independently. Mine on both sides of the bottom bracket and only turn on their mutual axis. As far as it looks to me there is a spanner wrench that has allen keys to grab the part. Or... you put in two keys and a bar in between to lever it around(with peddles removed) ? Well I think it would strip the hex slots even more than the last mechanic did.
Old 06-02-22, 01:07 AM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

I believe this is the same as mine. I'm not sure what he did or how this works exactly. Tightening the bolts separates the wedge? And I remember that I had a circlip too. I saved it somewhere after last mechanic worked on it. Not sure what it's for even though the vid kinda explains it. Apparently I haven't needed it. The hex that fits for a spanner wrench is 5mm. So I guess I'll see if that tool you recommended or another will have that size. The vid I posted here shows that tool which appears to have two hex keys unless I'm imagining that.
Old 06-02-22, 07:42 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Good find on this vid. It just about shows all I have mentioned. The tapping of the draw bolt's hole (in the larger main part of the eccentric) is to provide a no impact force that separates the wedge from the main portion. While I have not had to do this I have had to aggressively impact the end of the eccentric's main part in the direction away from the wedge's thick end, and pretty hard hits at that. The two spanner holes being 5mm hex wrench fittings could be plain holes for all they do. I think the added 5mm hex key shapes are to allow the use of common at home type tools, not everyone has a pin spanner.

With this vid you should be able to do this service. Please let us know how it goes. Andy
Old 06-02-22, 08:39 PM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

I want to remove these peddle arms. Just point me in the right direction please.

Edit: it's a "truvativ isis drive". Hmm, didn't know they were in bicycle parts too. I think I've found a couple vids on this. Hoping 8 don't need any special tools

Last edited by juntjoo; 06-02-22 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-02-22, 09:17 PM
MudPie

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by juntjoo

Edit: it's a "truvativ isis drive". Hmm, didn't know they were in bicycle parts too. I think I've found a couple vids on this. Hoping 8 don't need any special tools

Park has a pretty good site and this is for crank arm removal. They do a good job at explaining. https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...on-three-piece

You will need a crank arm extractor (for ISIS). Some crank arm extractors can do both square taper and ISIS styles.

Here is a Park Tool for both ISIS and square taper configurations. There are other manufacturers, too. https://www.parktool.com/product/uni...ttom%20Bracket

Last edited by MudPie; 06-02-22 at 09:23 PM.
Likes For MudPie:
Old 06-02-22, 09:53 PM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MudPie
Park has a pretty good site and this is for crank arm removal. They do a good job at explaining. https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...on-three-piece

You will need a crank arm extractor (for ISIS). Some crank arm extractors can do both square taper and ISIS styles.

Here is a Park Tool for both ISIS and square taper configurations. There are other manufacturers, too. https://www.parktool.com/product/uni...ttom%20Bracket

Thanks!
Old 06-16-22, 11:27 PM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I'm all set. Got a crank set remover bolt with a little cap for ones like mine. Also ordered spanner wrench. Might not have been necessary to remove crank arms but a couple taps with a mallet loosened the BB and it is still lubricated enough from last time it was serviced a few years ago. Was quite easy to adjust chain after installing.

Old 06-17-22, 08:44 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Thanks for the follow up post. Andy