Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Paid cycling events…worth it?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Do you attend paid cycling events?
Yes, I like attending cycling events
65.63%
No, I don’t see the point
28.13%
I only take part in free events
6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Paid cycling events…worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-22, 03:21 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I regularly sign up for paid events. But I am picky about which ones though. If the cost is obscenely expensive and filled with testosterone bros (hello RBC Whistler Gran Fondo!) I avoid it like the plague. But if the event is put on a by an amateur club, and will introduce me some routes I have never done or seen before, I will gladly plunk down my hard earned cash.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 06-11-22, 03:28 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
depends.
Old 06-11-22, 05:38 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I just signed up for this one and am very excited about it. https://www.cyclesequatchie.com/ My brother is coming from Ohio and my BIL who lives in the area will join me. It's taking place right where I bought my retirement land, so it'll make a good scouting trip.
Old 06-11-22, 10:05 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
I do charity rides if I like the route and the charity. For that reason, I expect my fee to far exceed the perceived value of the drinks/snacks/support provided along the way... and I hope that those products were donated or at least heavily discounted for the same reason.
Old 06-12-22, 05:28 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I don't mind paying a fee for a well organized event. Route marking, SAG support, manned and stocked rest stops, and (usually) some type of post event party is great. You get to meet a lot of new people on the rides.
I rode my first organized ride yesterday. It filled that bill well. I had a cut tire 75 miles into a century and was able to make it 10 more miles to the next rest stop. From there I had to ride the sag van back the last 15 miles. Were I on my own 15 miles from home, my wife could have easily came and got me. But all the well stocked rest stops and peace of mind knowing that I could call for sag, mechanical, or medical help was worth the entry fee. If I was younger, I would likely sign up for something like this again.

Attempting a century was something I've wanted to do for over 40 years. Had there been a paid event available to me back in the day, I probably would have done it long ago. But now that I have that out of my system, I will probably stick to my regular Saturday morning rides where I go where I want when I want. But if there was something that supported a charity that looked fun, I would possibly do it even if it was a ride I would feel good about doing unsupported.

Old 06-12-22, 05:34 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I rode my first organized ride yesterday. It filled that bill well. I had a cut tire 75 miles into a century and was able to make it 10 more miles to the next rest stop. From there I had to ride the sag van back the last 15 miles. Were I on my own 15 miles from home, my wife could have easily came and got me. But all the well stocked rest stops and peace of mind knowing that I could call for sag, mechanical, or medical help was worth the entry fee. If I was younger, I would likely sign up for something like this again.

Attempting a century was something I've wanted to do for over 40 years. Had there been a paid event available to me back in the day, I probably would have done it long ago. But now that I have that out of my system, I will probably stick to my regular Saturday morning rides where I go where I want when I want. But if there was something that supported a charity that looked fun, I would possibly do it even if it was a ride I would feel good about doing unsupported.
Check this site now and then, you may find something that will peak your interest! Events - Oklahoma Bicycle Society (okcbike.org)
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 06-12-22, 05:47 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I don't mind paying for an event. We ride at least 12 a year.
Likes For Machka:
Old 06-12-22, 05:51 AM
No Mojo

Bikes: Emonda SL7

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 12 Posts
Not a fan of paid cycling events unless it’s a race.
Old 06-12-22, 06:33 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Gladly pay for a brevet or race but no eroticas or grand fondues for me.
Old 06-12-22, 10:06 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
I only do a couple of organized rides and usually just one a year at most. One I've never rode on the actual event day, I just download all the info and ride it a week later on my own and the road markings they put down last for about 8-9 months! I would never "bandit" a ride but doing it on my own on a different day is ok.
Old 06-12-22, 10:50 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
depends.
Ah, the infamous underwear ride! Good for you.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 06-13-22, 12:09 AM
fords4life

Bikes: '20 Trek DS1, '84 Raleigh Prestige

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Gladly pay for a brevet or race but no eroticas or grand fondues for me.
You're going to have to tell us more about these erotica rides.....

I will gladly pay for a charity event. They are typically well sponsored and most have 100% of money earned going to an organization. As a new cyclist I will absolutely push myself harder knowing there are others on the route and it's supported. Gives me a safer opportunity to push my limits.
Likes For fords4life:
Old 06-13-22, 04:07 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by BikerDev
How many of you take part in paid cycling events? Do you think they’re worth it or do you not bother with them.
The very fact that paid cycling events exist tells you that some people think they are worth it. Those people who don't bother with paid events will tell you that they are not worth it.

Anyway I take part in about half a dozen timed Sportive events every year. Major events like the Etape du Tour and smaller local regional events. They are worth it to me. I see them as a bit of a challenge and something to train for.
Yesterday I did the Tour of Cambridgeshire Sportive 100, which is a major national cycling event in the UK. Thousands of riders, fully closed roads and a big weekend festival. Definitely well worth it if you like that kind of thing.
Old 06-13-22, 06:08 AM
BikerDev

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fascinating to read what you all think about events. There’s definitely a split between those who like events and those that would prefer just to get out their on their own.

I guess, based on the responses, that it’s very much geared (see what I did there!) towards traditional type events with marshals etc.

So with that said, I had an idea of a different type of event that wouldn’t be reliant on marshals, closed roads or drink stations but instead could be enjoyed by all. I’m going to create a new post and would love to hear whether you think it has any legs or not and whether it would be something you’d participate in.