Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Two person tent for solo tour?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Two person tent for solo tour?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-22, 11:02 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Ah, probably the Starlight 1P. Pretty small. Definitely, not for everyone.
That is similar to my old REI SoloLite. One person tent that I bought over 20 years ago.

Anything sold back then is not that light by today standards, but back then a tent that was only a bit over 5 pounds for a solo was considered light. Later they added a third middle pole to it because the middle hung down quite a bit.

Had a small vestibule in the front, the netting door to the tent interior was vertical under the large hoop, so you could store a small amount of stuff in the vestibule area if you did not mind tripping over it to get in or out.

REI still as a lot of data on their vintage stuff archived. Photo is lacking the rain fly.
https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...-sololite-tent

Sorry the photo cut off part of the tent. This trip is the last time I used it, that was eight years ago.

This was a vehicle supported trip on White Rim, thus no panniers or rack, the truck hauled our gear, food, water, etc.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 06-01-22, 12:08 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
I had a Northface Slickrock 2P back in the day. 4.75 pounds, but not a full fly. Really liked it. During 2000 I was living with some interns a Mesa Verse NP at the end of a tour there from Seattle. The park caught on fire while I was in town. My friends rescued my Beckman panniers, stove and some other things but didn’t have time to get my tent before they had to evacuate. When the tent was finally brought down it looked like Swiss cheese from the falling embers. The government reimbursed me.

https://www.rei.com/product/667683/t...slickrock-tent
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-01-22, 12:19 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Sounds like they need some pet foxes. With hungry kits.

Kind of like my neighborhood with the dadgum chipmunks this year.
That probably would not go over well with campers and residents. The campsite is basically part of the town. The free roaming deer and goats are enough. We watched a deer harass an RV camper who was walking her little yappy dog. She kept waving one arm to shoo it away. We thought the deer interpreted her action to mean she had food to toss it. Funny and sad at the same time.
Old 06-01-22, 11:18 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
I was also able to grab a new in box jetboil stash for only $70 from the same person I got the $220 hubba hubba from. That worked out as I needed a stove.
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 06-02-22, 12:13 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
That probably would not go over well with campers and residents. The campsite is basically part of the town. The free roaming deer and goats are enough. We watched a deer harass an RV camper who was walking her little yappy dog. She kept waving one arm to shoo it away. We thought the deer interpreted her action to mean she had food to toss it. Funny and sad at the same time.
Ha, I just made friends with about 5 or 6 bluejays this morning. They're usually kinda shy about food, preferring to wait till you leave, to eat, but apparently, they REALLY like cheesy bagels with cream cheese. 😁

EDIT: BTW, I just missed seeing another rattlesnake this morning, too. An older lady warned me to watch for it, she was coming the opposite way, and she said a squirrel was in a staring contest with it. I wonder who won. 🤔😉

Last edited by stardognine; 06-02-22 at 12:22 PM.
Likes For stardognine:
Old 06-03-22, 07:48 AM
dvdwmth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Two person. When I'm tired and need to find stuff I like to have a little room.

I have an inexpensive marmot and it's an acceptable size and weight.
Old 06-03-22, 08:19 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
That is similar to my old REI SoloLite. One person tent that I bought over 20 years ago.

Anything sold back then is not that light by today standards, but back then a tent that was only a bit over 5 pounds for a solo was considered light. Later they added a third middle pole to it because the middle hung down quite a bit.

Had a small vestibule in the front, the netting door to the tent interior was vertical under the large hoop, so you could store a small amount of stuff in the vestibule area if you did not mind tripping over it to get in or out.

REI still as a lot of data on their vintage stuff archived. Photo is lacking the rain fly.
https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...-sololite-tent

I always liked those two pole tents where the poles are hoops and you just stake the ends out. Not free standing but easy to tie the ends out if pitching under a roof. Always a pole, picnic table or something available and barring that a line run off the edge of the pad to the ground will suffice. I often pitched my Spitfire 1 with only two stakes if it was dry and four if it might rain. Great if the ground was difficut to drive stakes also nice to not need to carry many.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 06-03-22, 10:44 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I always liked those two pole tents where the poles are hoops and you just stake the ends out. Not free standing but easy to tie the ends out if pitching under a roof. Always a pole, picnic table or something available and barring that a line run off the edge of the pad to the ground will suffice. I often pitched my Spitfire 1 with only two stakes if it was dry and four if it might rain. Great if the ground was difficut to drive stakes also nice to not need to carry many.
That SoloLite with two hoops, it needed two stakes on each end, and a fifth if the fly was used. I originally bought it for light weight solo camping, but within a few years it was no longer considered light weight.

In post number 9 above, I have a two person version called the NiteLite that had three hoops. It weighs a lot but I still use it for canoe tripping. I used it for several bike tours until I finally got tired of the weight. Nice tent.

Both were pretty good in wind, but the two hoop solo one would flap a lot. But it was not going to get blown over being that low.

The tail end of both of them, the fly poured water onto a waterproof section of the tent, that needed frequent seam sealing. The two person one in photo below. The dark blue is waterproof fabric and the seam between that and the floor needs good seam sealing.

It was so windy in the day below that I used the extra lines on the side to stake out the three hoop two person one.

In Europe I have seen a lot of Hilleberg tents, but they are not cheap and I see almost none of them in USA. Several of theirs have a hoop design.
https://hilleberg.com/eng/tent/
Old 06-04-22, 04:02 PM
Trueblood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
This one looks really very cool. I do not own it, but it is fairly inexpensive, a little over 3 lbs, and has a great canopy feature. There are reviews on Youtube. I am thinking about getting this one.

OneTigris Backwoods Bungalow Ultralight Bushcraft Shelter 2.0

Old 09-05-22, 11:36 AM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
I always tour alone I have the same tent in a 1 person and a 2 person. (A Marmot Tungsten). Turns out the one person was a waste of money. There's no advantage to it. The weight doesn't make a 1% difference in the total I am pedaling. The two person tent is palatial and I can fit everything but the bike in it if I need to. Not to mention it has two doors and two vestibules. The 2p Tungsten weight 5 pounds BTW.
Old 09-05-22, 02:17 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
Long haul, I'd keep it as light as possible, but for a week or weekend I'd go bigger for comfort.
I do the opposite. For two nights I can tolerate a **** ultralight setup, but for the long haul I use a two person tent for comfort. I can't use an ultralight setup for several months straight. Too cramped.
Likes For Yan:
Old 09-06-22, 06:58 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by dweenk
Long haul, I'd keep it as light as possible, but for a week or weekend I'd go bigger for comfort.
That's what I do. For long weekend or overnight trips I use my REI Quarter Dome SL 2. For longer trips I use my BA Fly Creek HV UL2. IIRC, correctly, the latter is 1/2 lighter. The former has two doors and is more spacious.
Old 09-07-22, 01:18 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Sit ups

Originally Posted by polymorphself
Has anybody found that when touring and/or camping solo they prefer to have a two person tent despite the weight/size trade off? I'm looking to buy a new tent this week and can't think up reasons I'd need bigger than a one person, but there's always something to learn.
I prefer a tent I can sit up in. I find it easier to change, rearrange stuff and get comfortable. It can be a single person (it actually is in my case). Alps lynx is large single person is enough for me and my two Ortlieb bags to fit pretty comfortably.
Old 09-09-22, 05:51 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Two person ALPS Meramac. No vestibule but two doors, freestanding and plenty spacious. Not a lightweight at 7 pounds but it works.
Old 09-10-22, 07:00 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN

In Europe I have seen a lot of Hilleberg tents, but they are not cheap and I see almost none of them in USA. Several of theirs have a hoop design.
https://hilleberg.com/eng/tent/
Too many thieves & vandals here in the U.S. 😟 Some of those look to be worth the investment, for winter camping, but like I mentioned, you just can't trust people here.
Old 09-16-22, 05:09 AM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 142 Posts
For a short time, I had a North Face 1 person tent, much like the two-hoop Marmot @staehpj1 showed above.
No thank you. It wasn't not the floor space, it was being unable to sit up in it. The friend I passed it on to came to the same conclusion and has been using a Flashlight 2 for many years, very happy with it. Not free standing but sturdy and light weight.

For solo self-supported, which I hardly do at all, I have a Eureka Spitfire 1, which has just enough floor space for me and some gear, plus room to sit up. My 2 person Alps Zephyr is well made and not too heavy, but I think at 5 lbs + I'd leave it at home and make do with the Eureka. One thing nobody's mentioned yet: With a larger tent, if you've pitched yourself on a rough spot, you can usually find a comfortable way to sleep. With a one person, well: there you are.

Many moons ago, the wife and I used a Timberline 2 on a weeklong trip. Run what you brung.

The Zephyr seems to have doubled in price in a couple years. Ouch. The not-free-standing Spitfire 1 is no longer available. That one is a great choice for biking if you can find it.

cheers -mathias

Last edited by steine13; 09-16-22 at 06:43 AM. Reason: misspelled username
Old 09-16-22, 06:38 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by steine13
For a short time, I had a North Face 1 person tent, much like the two-hoop Marmot @STAepj1 showed above.
No thank you. It wasn't not the floor space, it was being unable to sit up in it. The friend I passed it on to came to the same conclusion and has been using a Flashlight 2 for many years, very happy with it. Not free standing but sturdy and light weight.

For solo self-supported, which I hardly do at all, I have a Eureka Spitfire 1, which has just enough floor space for me and some gear, plus room to sit up. My 2 person Alps Zephyr is well made and not too heavy, but I think at 5 lbs + I'd leave it at home and make do with the Eureka.
FWIW, I agree. I posted that only to identify what indy was talking about. I tend to use a hoopless bivy (basically just a bugproof envelope) and tarp much of the time. When I do use a tent my fav of the ones I own is the Spitfire 1.

One thing nobody's mentioned yet: With a larger tent, if you've pitched yourself on a rough spot, you can usually find a comfortable way to sleep. With a one person, well: there you are..
Yeah, true, but the obvious answer is to either just take care in placing it in the first place or move it a little. If a tent doesn't need a gagillion stakes moving isn't a big deal. Laying on the proposed spot for a few minutes before pitching can save moving or a fitful night.
Old 09-17-22, 09:54 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6214 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Earlier this summer I was lulled by the Siren song of a larger tent. I have a 3 man Big Agnes Copper Spur. Lots of room…and damned cold! I use it twice…once on the plains and once on the other side of the mountains which is only slightly higher. In both cases, it was a very cold night. Later I used my one man Big Agnes Fly Creek in much colder conditions and was much more comfortable. While a tent isn’t that well insulated, a smaller space is easier to keep warm with your body heat than a larger one.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-17-22, 11:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 2,661 Posts
Yeah I made a similar mistake as Stuart on a trip, I had brought my own tent a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 but decided to sleep in a co-workers tent thinking a second body would make more sense but it was such a spacious tent (6+ person tent) that we were colder I didn't think at the time to put my tent inside the other tent as I think at that point I was just lazy and didn't want to deal with having to unpack and repack my tent in the winter conditions we were out in.

However in no cold weather conditions I much prefer more space and just got myself a Tiger Wall 3 Bikepacking tent (also Big Agnes, she is after all the Mother of Comfort) for that reason. Plus I now have a proper 4 season mountaineering tent I can borrow from a co-worker which is a 3 person tent but was super warm in a snow storm (just heavy as heck).
Old 09-19-22, 04:48 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
Bigger tent gives you space to keep gear in the tent with you and even spread it out a bit on a rainy night to dry wet jersey and shorts.
Likes For Tony Marley:
Old 09-19-22, 07:59 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

It finally rained here in Sacramento, and last night, I found out that my REI Quarterdome T2 isn't as waterproof as I thought. 🙄 I've only slept in it a few times now, and think I need something slightly bigger, anyways. Plus these poles are just weird, I prefer a normal dome tent to this design. 😋😉
Old 09-20-22, 03:10 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
My NEMO Hornet is "2 person" if they are small, flexible and intimate. It is nice for one, waterproof, easy to set up, and pretty light.
Old 09-25-22, 08:39 PM
fiddlehead1A

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
Has anybody found that when touring and/or camping solo they prefer to have a two person tent
Definitely a two man tent! On a recent 2700k bike tour in Japan using a two man Nemo Hornet I was very crowded with my gear even though I was touring alone. It was a very rainy summer and I was stuck in a humid crowded tent. The Nemo Hornet is not suited to multi month tours. The materials are first class but too light and delicate. Before you buy a “two man “ tent be sure it really is a two man tent. For a long term tour you need a spacious, robust tent for spending time in the tent during bad weather and space for your gear. My Nemo Hornet could not stand up to the demands of long term touring and is more suited to shorter tours.
Old 09-25-22, 08:58 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Coleman. 6 inch Bath Tub Floor to stop water.

Old 09-27-22, 06:03 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 989 Times in 521 Posts
Dunston has a really nice tent problem is it is back ordered.
https://durstongear.com/product/x-mid-2p

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.