Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rim Brake Caliper Return Springs: The softer the better?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-28-22, 09:18 AM
karldub

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I have many sets of rim brakes and generally have no problem with the stopping power (except for rainy days). My best calipers are a set of Shimano Dura Ace BR-7800 which I use with matching ST-7800 brifters and newly bought Jagwire Compressionless Road Pro brake housing + Jagwire brake cables. One thing that annoys me however is the amount of force I need to use to push the levers in when riding from the hoods. It's not a crazy amount, I just wish it was "softer", more like the feel of a hydraulic disc brake brifter.

From my understanding, the return spring on the caliper needs to be strong enough to push the caliper back into "open" position after letting go of the brake levers. But I'm thinking that should not require a lot of force? My question is, why don't the producers simply make the return spring softer, to require less force to push the lever when riding from the hoods?

Secondly, the Dura Ace 7800 set is a bit old but in good shape. Do newer calipers have a softer feel, more like hydraulic brake levers?
Old 09-28-22, 09:27 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,723 Posts
I can actuate my 7700 calipers from the hoods with one finger. The brakes should already have a "softer" spring, to assist with the SLR braking. I use 7402 levers and don't have a clue about integrated shift/brake levers. Do they have a return spring to assist with any SLR-type function?
Likes For smd4:
Old 09-28-22, 09:28 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by karldub
From my understanding, the return spring on the caliper needs to be strong enough to push the caliper back into "open" position after letting go of the brake levers. But I'm thinking that should not require a lot of force? My question is, why don't the producers simply make the return spring softer, to require less force to push the lever when riding from the hoods?
1. Because the OEM spring rate is presumably designed to open the brake caliper even if the pivots get a little grimy or corroded?

2. On a cable-actuated brake system, the OEM spring rate has a significant effect on (a) the amount of force required to move the brake caliper from open to the point of contact against the braking surface (e.g., rim), but has only a slight effect on (b) the amount of force required to compress the braking material (e.g., brake shoe) against the braking surface (e.g., rim). Most people have no issue with (a) but feel that (b) requires too much force, especially compared to a hydraulic disc brake. So reducing the OEM return spring rate would not do much for that.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 09-28-22, 10:48 AM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 221 Posts
Just checking, but you have tried to adjust the spring tension with the adjusting screw?

Not many Shimano calipers have this feature.

Likes For KCT1986:
Old 09-28-22, 10:57 AM
smd4

Neat feature.
Old 09-28-22, 11:19 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 273 Posts
More modern rim brake calipers do have softer return springs compared to vintage (single pivot) calipers. Compare a modern Campagnolo caliper to an old Record (1980s) model, and this is obvious. The same applies to Shimano. Some of the older brake brands such as Modolo and Gipiemme had absurdly stiff springs, which required a bunch of hand pressure to get some braking. And being single pivot brakes with flexy arms and cheap hardware, there wasn't much braking power to be had at the best of times.

The reason for the stiff springs in the old calipers is the need to overcome friction in the primitive unlined (steel against steel) housings, and the lack of return springs in the brake levers.

Thank goodness for modern dual-pivot brake calipers.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 09-28-22, 01:09 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
Originally Posted by KCT1986
Just checking, but you have tried to adjust the spring tension with the adjusting screw?

Not many Shimano calipers have this feature.

Well actually...

Shimano dual pivot brake calipers have has a caliper return spring adjuster for a long time and on most all their series/grades. No screw but a small plastic block that most here likely think is a low friction pad. The plastic block has a thin (the usual OEM setting) and a thick side. By rotating the block 180* the spring is preloaded more, by the added thickness of the block as it nestles back into the arm's tab. These plastic blocks are one of the first things to lose if the spring is detached from the arm. The spring acts as a catapult and flings the "unseen" block across the room. Andy
Old 09-28-22, 03:52 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
Even the strongest return spring is a trifle, considering the leverage involved and the total force used in braking.

There's also the practical design consideration of the various extraneous forces on arms which depend on the spring to center. These include the tug of the unloaded cable, friction at the pivot, and probably most significant, friction where the spring slides against the stop on the arm.

So, while less MAY be better, I assure you that least isn't.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 09-28-22, 03:55 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Well actually...

Shimano dual pivot brake calipers have has a caliper return spring adjuster for a long time and on most all their series/grades. No screw but a small plastic block that most here likely think is a low friction pad. The plastic block has a thin (the usual OEM setting) and a thick side. By rotating the block 180* the spring is preloaded more, by the added thickness of the block as it nestles back into the arm's tab. These plastic blocks are one of the first things to lose if the spring is detached from the arm. The spring acts as a catapult and flings the "unseen" block across the room. Andy
If you’re referring to what Shimano calls the “sleeve,” it’s not true for the BR 7700–the sleeves of which are perfectly cylindrical.
Old 09-28-22, 04:48 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 307 Posts
Depending on the grade of steel used you may be able to bend (or possibly break) the spring to reduce preload, but cable operated rim brakes are never going to feel like hydraulic disc brakes. Shimano made some improvements in the 1980s with dual pivots, lower friction materials, low compression cable housing and helper springs, I don't think anything they've done since to improve cable rim brake feel has been as significant, and I don't suppose any further effort will be put into improving what is effectively obsolete technology.
Old 09-28-22, 05:08 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 221 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Well actually...

Those rectangular blocks are not that commonly seen. They were only on a few of the late model single pivot calipers and the early dual pivot calipers from back in the 7/8 speed group days.
Newer models had/have the round sleeves and some of series of the DA & Ultegra had the tension screw. Location of the centering screw and the spring tension adjuster varied on some series.