Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Modern Groupset for 90s Italian Bike

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-04-20, 08:32 PM
Chris O

Bikes: Wilier Triestina GTR SL '16; Basso Gap '93

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts

I've got a 1993 Basso Gap with Campagnolo Veloce 8 speed group (I think it is '93, but could be +/- 1 year). This is an Italian bike with old school threaded BB and headset and I'd like to modernize it as a project. I realize the rear dropout spacing will have to be increased, but assuming I can cold set it wider, can anyone recommend a complete modern groupset that will be compatible (I guess Shimano preferably)? Or will this require precise measuring and sourcing of parts a la cart?

Chris
Old 05-04-20, 09:18 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
All Shimano, Sram, and Campy groups will be fine. You need to get the right front derailleur, top vs bottom pull, clamp size or more likely braze on. This might limit you to 53-39 crank but maybe not.

The bottom bracket is either Italian or BSA. Both are still widely available.

With 8 speed, you might already be at 130mm on your dropouts. If not, that last 4 mm is often not even noticeable on a steel bike. Measure, I bet you're close.

You can still get rim brakes and cable with actuated shifters/brakes for almost every single group. No worries.

11 speed 105 would objectively be an upgrade. Subjectively, you might be happier with Campy. Don't get Sram.

You might go to a shop with your bike and see what all is needed so you can be sure to get the right part.
Old 05-04-20, 10:32 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
I outfitted my 1989 Bottecchia SLX with Campy Athena 11 speed. I chose that particular groupset because of the aluminum finish (and because I like Campy ).

Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 05-05-20, 01:37 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 235 Posts
This is actually pretty straightforward. If it has 8 speed Campy, you can throw pretty much any modern groupset on there and don't need to respace the rear triangle. 70mm ITA bottom brackets are readily available for pretty much everything. Unfortunately you can't run any modern cassette on your existing rear wheel, so you'll need a new one. I'm a big fan of road tubeless; consider getting a tubeless compatible wheelset so you can try it out if you like. I like Shimano, Campagnolo, and SRAM road drivetrains to be honest--it's really your own personal preference.

Also, for the modern bike experience I recommend getting some compact drop handlebars. For use with the original or other threaded stem, Nitto Noodles are pretty nice, and I installed https://www.modernbike.com/dimension...ndlebar-silver on a bike and they were actually quite lovely given the price. Or if you want to open up your handlebar options you can get a threaded>threadless converter, like https://velo-orange.com/products/vo-...s-stem-adaptor, or use one of the relatively rare threaded stems with a 31.8 clamp, like https://velo-orange.com/collections/...ceplate-31-8mm .

Great bike! I hope you continue enjoying it for decades to come.
Old 05-05-20, 03:02 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
11 speed 105 would objectively be an upgrade. Subjectively, you might be happier with Campy. Don't get Sram.
I'd agree that for that bike I'd be inclined to go with Campy, but what's wrong with SRAM? Personally I'm very happy with it.
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 05-05-20, 05:31 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
I outfitted my 1989 Bottecchia SLX with Campy Athena 11 speed. I chose that particular groupset because of the aluminum finish (and because I like Campy ).

Tastefully done.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 05-05-20, 09:15 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Forgot to mention. If you want threadless, options nare good but limited.

Ritchey and King make excellent 1" headsets, I'd look into one of them.

Hylix, a maker of knockoff carbon fiber forks on eBay. I've had two and was certainly happy with the first. I don't have miles on the second one yet.

Wound Up makes the finest 1" carbon fork. It's expensive and heavy as steel though.

Columbus has a 1" option that looks good and has a good name on the side.
Old 05-05-20, 11:02 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
define modernize..... you can certainly put a new groupset on.....I really like the compact crank setup. pretty much any group can be had with a bb bracket to work with italian threaded. one question is will you get a huge benefit from going from 8 speed to 11/12

you could put a centaur group on https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...oducts_id=4859

Old 05-05-20, 08:17 PM
Chris O

Thanks all, for the replies. Maybe I can find a gently used group. Don't have a lot to drop on this.
Old 05-05-20, 08:18 PM
Chris O

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
i outfitted my 1989 bottecchia slx with campy athena 11 speed. I chose that particular groupset because of the aluminum finish (and because i like campy ).

wow!!!
Likes For Chris O:
Old 05-06-20, 07:26 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris O
wow!!!
Thank you. I’ve owned that bike since new.
Old 05-07-20, 06:34 PM
fraba

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Super Course - 1981 Velo Sport Criterium - c.1988 Colnago Master Piu - 1991 Merlin Road - 1991 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra - 1995 Pinarello Cromovan - c.1999 Lemond Maillot Jaune Team Saturn - 2002 Colnago C-40 - Also modern stuff

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
A good option for a slightly used groupset is to buy a complete bike with the components you want and resell the frame and other non required components. You can save a lot. I did this for my 1988 Colnago Master Piu now equiped with an 11-speed 2012 Campy Record. Of course, with an Italian bike, Campagnolo components are almost a must

Likes For fraba:
Old 05-07-20, 09:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I would go probably with a Campagnolo Potenza groupset in silver. I bleed Shimano blue for sure but on an Italian bike Campy, Campy, Campy, accettare no sostituti.

One of my co-workers has the Ti version (or at least a similar era Ti Basso maybe not a Gap) and he loves it and of course Campy all the way.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-08-20, 06:12 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris O
I've got a 1993 Basso Gap with Campagnolo Veloce 8 speed group (I think it is '93, but could be +/- 1 year). This is an Italian bike with old school threaded BB and headset and I'd like to modernize it as a project. I realize the rear dropout spacing will have to be increased, but assuming I can cold set it wider, can anyone recommend a complete modern groupset that will be compatible (I guess Shimano preferably)? Or will this require precise measuring and sourcing of parts a la cart?
Chris
Um, what are you planning to do with the existing 8-speed group on the bike? Asking for a friend...

But yes, your Basso will build up just fine with modern stuff (winky face). You can also use a stem converter (or whatever they are called) if you want to use more modern stem and bar options: