Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Lock tire on binder bolts - slipping seatpost

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Lock tire on binder bolts - slipping seatpost

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-21, 09:24 AM
tough_boots

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Locktite on binder bolts - slipping seatpost

Hi all,
I have a seatpost that keeps slipping. I’ve tried liquid torque and I’ve replaced the old binder bolt but it’s still an issue. It’s better than it was but still dropping slightly. The new binder bolt is the same length as the old one which I believe was the original for the frame and is 19mm. I just ordered a 16mm to see if that might do it but I’m also thinking I’ll throw some blue locktite on the threads. Is there any reason I shouldn’t use locktite on minor components like this?

Last edited by tough_boots; 05-26-21 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Misspelled title
Old 05-26-21, 09:37 AM
Dsprok

Bikes: Hybrid and Folding

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The seat post might benefit from a shim
Likes For Dsprok:
Old 05-26-21, 09:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
What kind of seat tube and binder clamp is it? Just a typical slot cut into the top of the seat tube with a clamp around it? Check to be certain the clamp isn't closing up completely when tightened or that the slot isn't closing up underneath the clamp. If one or both are, then you need to address that.

Locktite is a desperation move that will haunt you or another at some later date.
Old 05-26-21, 09:56 AM
tough_boots

Originally Posted by Iride01
What kind of seat tube and binder clamp is it? Just a typical slot cut into the top of the seat tube with a clamp around it? Check to be certain the clamp isn't closing up completely when tightened or that the slot isn't closing up underneath the clamp. If one or both are, then you need to address that.

Locktite is a desperation move that will haunt you or another at some later date.
Its a Thomson Elite seatpost and it’s not a clamp— just a binder bolt. The slot is not closing up all the way.
Old 05-26-21, 10:29 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
So what prevents you from tightening up the clamp more? If the bolt has a shoulder on it, then maybe you are against that with the nut. In that case I'd imagine you got the wrong size post for your tube. That particular post has eighteen different diameter selections.

And even if you used the originally spec'd diameter, your your seat tube might not be that anymore.
Old 05-26-21, 11:01 AM
tough_boots

Originally Posted by Iride01
So what prevents you from tightening up the clamp more? If the bolt has a shoulder on it, then maybe you are against that with the nut. In that case I'd imagine you got the wrong size post for your tube. That particular post has eighteen different diameter selections.

And even if you used the originally spec'd diameter, your your seat tube might not be that anymore.
Well, I imagine the binder bolt might be preventing me from tightening more. As I said, the new one is 19mm just like the original so I’ve ordered a 16mm in hopes of that allowing me to tighten it up more.

I’m pretty positive the seat post is a good fit. There’s no play at all before tightening it. Even when I use grease or liquid torque, most of it ends up on top of the tube once I re-insert the post.
Old 05-26-21, 11:20 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by tough_boots
Well, I imagine the binder bolt might be preventing me from tightening more. As I said, the new one is 19mm just like the original so I’ve ordered a 16mm in hopes of that allowing me to tighten it up more.

I’m pretty positive the seat post is a good fit. There’s no play at all before tightening it. Even when I use grease or liquid torque, most of it ends up on top of the tube once I re-insert the post.
you should make sure it's the right size. if it's .2mm smaller, you may not notice play, but it will surely slip if you're unable to get the binder to squeeze the seat tube anymore. someone suggested a shim. you might try a cutting from a soda can. that, or tell the forum what bike what you have and the diameter size stamped on your post

btw, i don't imagine the thomson post is original to your frame. do you have the original seat post?
Old 05-26-21, 11:42 AM
tough_boots

Originally Posted by thook
you should make sure it's the right size. if it's .2mm smaller, you may not notice play, but it will surely slip if you're unable to get the binder to squeeze the seat tube anymore. someone suggested a shim. you might try a cutting from a soda can. that, or tell the forum what bike what you have and the diameter size stamped on your post

btw, i don't imagine the thomson post is original to your frame. do you have the original seat post?
No, the Thomson is definitely not original. It’s a 26.8. I do not have the original but the only reference I can find to the bike’s original specs are for 26.8. It’s a 1987 Raleigh Technium Trilite.

When I get the smaller binder bolt, I may try the can trick as well.
Old 05-26-21, 11:53 AM
MudPie

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
... I’ll throw some blue locktite on the threads. Is there any reason I shouldn’t use locktite on minor components like this?
Loctite thread compound will not help.

Friction between the seat post and interfacing seat tube is what keeps the seat post from slipping. As you tighten the binder bolt, it squeezes the seat tube to the seatpost. The more squeezing force, the more friction generated.

Perhaps you can try a carbon assembly paste, which is used to increase friction with less squeezing force. I imagine it like a gritty compound that ensures carbon parts don't slip without applying so much squeezing force that it crushes the carbon members.

https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-SAC...92580281&psc=1
Old 05-26-21, 11:56 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
I had a seatpost reflector on my bike that I pulled down as a stop to keep the post from going in farther. Worked perfectly. You can even take off the reflector, if you like.
Likes For mdarnton:
Old 05-26-21, 12:00 PM
tough_boots

Originally Posted by MudPie
Loctite thread compound will not help.

Friction between the seat post and interfacing seat tube is what keeps the seat post from slipping. As you tighten the binder bolt, it squeezes the seat tube to the seatpost. The more squeezing force, the more friction generated.

Perhaps you can try a carbon assembly paste, which is used to increase friction with less squeezing force. I imagine it like a gritty compound that ensures carbon parts don't slip without applying so much squeezing force that it crushes the carbon members.

https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-SAC...92580281&psc=1
I tried Liquid Torque which I’m guessing is very similar.
Old 05-26-21, 12:06 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

No, the Thomson is definitely not original. It’s a 26.8. I do not have the original but the only reference I can find to the bike’s original specs are for 26.8. It’s a 1987 Raleigh Technium Trilite.

When I get the smaller binder bolt, I may try the can trick as well.
how much of the thomson post are able to insert into the frame? did you buy it new? did you cut any of the length off?

if you're using the original length for a binder bolt, i can't understand what the problem with it would be. i mean, there shouldn't be problem with it. my '82 trek came with a 27.2mm seat post...which surprised me because i thought for the age of the frame, it'd be smaller....like 26.8. as many frames of the era were.

anyway, i sold a '94 trek 520 i had to a friend and made a recommendation to him on a seat post to buy. i told him 27.2 should be the size. i even looked it up on the web. the info i could wasn't clear and i was wrong. it was 26.8, so i gave him a nice one i had to compensate for the mistake. iow's, it's quite possible your seat post is just too small. it could be 27mm for the correct size. in which case, shimming it would be a better idea than using shorter binder bolt and therefore crimping the seat lug beyond what's intended
Old 05-26-21, 12:16 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
If your binder bolt working itself loose is not the cause of your seatpost slipping, thread locker will accomplish nothing except for making it more difficult to loosen the bolt. You might try some valve grinding compound, it may be grittier than the Liquid Torque.
Old 05-26-21, 01:44 PM
MudPie

I tried Liquid Torque which I’m guessing is very similar.
You are correct. I wasn't familiar with Ritchey Liquid Torque, but after reading its description, it looks to be the same friction enhancing compound.
Old 05-26-21, 02:49 PM
tough_boots

I tried the aluminum can shim. I can’t even get one layer of aluminum in there so the seatpost size must be appropriate. I’ll have to wait for the shorter binder bolt to show up and hopefully that will do it.
Old 05-26-21, 02:59 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Its a Thomson Elite seatpost and it’s not a clamp— just a binder bolt. The slot is not closing up all the way.
The slot is not meant to close up all the way.
At least, I’ve never seen one designed to do that.
The edges of the slot should remain pretty much parallel when the bolt is torqued down.

I suppose it’s possible that the binder bolt is running out of thread before it gets tight enough to hold the post.
Old 05-26-21, 03:00 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Hi all,
I have a seatpost that keeps slipping. I’ve tried liquid torque and I’ve replaced the old binder bolt but it’s still an issue. It’s better than it was but still dropping slightly. The new binder bolt is the same length as the old one which I believe was the original for the frame and is 19mm. I just ordered a 16mm to see if that might do it but I’m also thinking I’ll throw some blue locktite on the threads. Is there any reason I shouldn’t use locktite on minor components like this?
Loctite on the threads isn't going to help unless the binder bolt itself is loosening, but that doesn't sound like the issue, which appears to be that you're not getting sufficient clamp to start with. Could try a beer can shim if it'll fit, rough up the inside of the seat tube with sandpaper, try a different seat post (pretty much every seat post with have an actual diameter slightly different from its nominal diameter - your current one might be on the narrow end of the range). Remove the seat post and tighten up the bolt enough to ensure that there's not something preventing it from tightening all the way. A little grease on the bolt threads to ensure that it's not jamming before it reaches full "clamp". If you're not choosy, a hose clamp on the seat post will likely stop it slipping (last resort)
Old 05-26-21, 03:15 PM
MudPie

Hi all,

Can you post a picture or two?
Old 05-26-21, 03:19 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Try another brand of carbon assembly paste. Finish Line perhaps.
Old 05-26-21, 03:48 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 435 Posts
Have you tried cleaning the seattube, maybe use an alcohol soaked rag on a broom handle, or paint pole, something like that. Maybe there is some really slippery lube in the seattube. Just don't soak the rag so much that it runs down to the bb.
Old 05-26-21, 07:07 PM
tough_boots

Originally Posted by freeranger
Have you tried cleaning the seattube, maybe use an alcohol soaked rag on a broom handle, or paint pole, something like that. Maybe there is some really slippery lube in the seattube. Just don't soak the rag so much that it runs down to the bb.
I hadn’t thought of that but I was under the impression that grease actually prevented seat post slippage.
Old 05-26-21, 07:21 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 435 Posts
I always looked at grease as a preventive measure--to keep the post from fusing to the seat tube. You still want something on the post, but maybe something like carbon paste, which from what I understand, has a bit of grit to it. Sounded like you've tried other things, and that the post is sized correctly, so figured something in the seat tube is letting it slip. Let us know when you get it to stay instead of slip. I know at least one (me) who is curious.
Old 05-26-21, 08:14 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

if i were you, i'd either go buy a set of digital calipers at the auto store, or take your frame and post up there and let them measure it. you really shouldn't have to go through this much trouble to get a correct seat post to stay put. unless you're running out of threads on the binder bolt like someone suggested
Old 05-26-21, 09:34 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by MudPie
Can you post a picture or two?
He put a couple of photos on his album page:

@tough_boots's Album:
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/348045
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/21153738

Unfortunately not a closeup of the rear... yet.

Personally I'm not a big fan of greasing seatposts. And, at least in this case, aluminum (or composite) frame, and painted/anodized seatpost, it should be fine assembling dry (if that is the case).

I like the idea of a reflector or second clamp just above the lug.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 05-26-21, 10:12 PM
tough_boots

now looking at the close up— it’s gotta be the bolt. Strange that the original bolt was too big.

Last edited by tough_boots; 05-26-21 at 10:16 PM.
Likes For tough_boots:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.