Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Koga Miyata Road Racer 1998 questions

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-06-22, 01:38 AM
Antergos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hello guys

I need the help of some Koga-Miyata experts. I have found a 1998 KM Road Racer in good almost original state for sale for about 300 euros (315 in real money). I can't find any info about it on the web. Can anyone offer any perspective on this model? Trying to decide if this model is worth buying.
  • Is it worth that price vs other (older) models?
  • Does the alu aero fork offer anything great?
  • Where is it placed on the hierarchy?
  • The steel tubing is ovalized FM1 double butted with visual spline. How different is that from the regular FM1 triple butted spline tubing?
Any other info is welcome. Thank you guys
Old 05-06-22, 02:21 AM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 996 Times in 355 Posts
Check here, file:///C:/Users/Laptop/Downloads/Koga_Brochure_1998.pdf
Koga Miyata has all the old brochures on their website.
And real money? You mean yen or so?
Old 05-06-22, 02:31 AM
Antergos

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fabiofarelli
Check here, *can't post this because I have under 10 posts*
Koga Miyata has all the old brochures on their website.
Yeah I know about those brochures. Wanted to link it but I don't have 10 posts yet. The problem is I am a noob regarding bikes/tubing etc. That's why I wanted opinions of others.

BTW, your link is to a local file (hence the file as protocol) on your computer so it won't work for me.

And real money? You mean yen or so?
I wish it was 300 yen!! I meant dollars as I assumed the userbase is mostly American. I myself am from Belgium.
Likes For Antergos:
Old 05-06-22, 04:38 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
As you can see in the second graph of this post the Road Racer was the second-most expensive model in their non-professional road bike lineup.
The higher-end model was the GentsRacer which used a double butted aluminum frame.

Ovalized sthin steel tubing was the high-point of steel shortly before aluminum and carbon took over but it was very competitive in weight.

Last edited by JaccoW; 05-06-22 at 04:58 AM.
Old 05-06-22, 06:43 AM
Antergos

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
As you can see in *cant post this yet* the Road Racer was the second-most expensive model in their non-professional road bike lineup.
The higher-end model was the GentsRacer which used a double butted aluminum frame.

Ovalized sthin steel tubing was the high-point of steel shortly before aluminum and carbon took over but it was very competitive in weight.
Wow, thanks for all that work regarding scanning stuff and prices, really nice. Thanks for the info and help, Being sold for only 2 years made it very scarce as well as info on it. It's a good price for it then, I think. (Although I also saw a nice Gentsracer-s for sale too, aw my wallet )
Likes For Antergos:
Old 05-06-22, 06:43 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

In 1998 the lineup was this: Putting the RoadRacer well into the upper mid-range territory
  1. FullPro-M
    • Monocoque Carbon frame, Aero Big Shape Carbon fork,
    • Shimano Ultegra
    • 9.0kg
    • NLG 5845 (€4108 today)
  2. FullPro-O
    • Lugged Ovalized Hardltlite FM-1 triple butted chromoly + Aero (small) Shape Alloy 6061 fork
    • Shimano Ultegra
    • 9.9kg
    • NLG 3995 (€2807 today)
  3. FullPro-C
    • Triple butted Alloy 7005 frame + Aero Big Shape Alloy 6061 fork
    • Shimano Ultegra
    • 9.5kg
    • NLG 3845 (€2702 today)
  4. GentsRacer
    • TIG-welded double butted Alloy 7005 frame + Aero Big Shape Alloy 6061 fork
    • Shimano 105
    • 9.8kg
    • Unknown price
  5. RoadRacer
    • Tig-welded double-butted chromoly + Aero Big Shape Alloy 6061 fork
    • Shimano 105
    • 9.6kg
    • NLG 2895 (€2034 today)
  6. Exerciser
    • Double-butted Alloy 7005 frame + Alloy 6061 fork (non-aero)
    • Shimano RX-100
    • 9.6kg
    • Unknown price
  7. GranRacer
    • Lugged double-butted Hardlite FM-1 chromoly + Chromoly fork (non-aero)
    • Shimano RX-100
    • 10.0kg
    • NLG 2145 (€1507 today)
  8. RoadSpeed
    • Lugged double-butted Hardlite FM-1 chromoly + Chromoly fork (non-aero)
    • Shimano RSX
    • 10.0kg
    • NLG 1845 (€1296 today)
  9. LadiesChamp
    • NLG 1595 (€1121 today)
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 05-06-22, 06:45 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by Antergos
Wow, thanks for all that work regarding scanning stuff and prices, really nice. Thanks for the info and help, Being sold for only 2 years made it very scarce as well as info on it. It's a good price for it then, I think. (Although I also saw a nice Gentsracer-s for sale too, aw my wallet )
No problem. Just make sure to post some photos in that thread if you do end up buying it.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 05-06-22, 07:15 AM
Antergos

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
No problem. Just make sure to post some photos in that thread if you do end up buying it.
Will do. If it isn't this one, then for sure another Koga-Miyata. I first have to get rid of some stuff from other hobbies before I can buy it. I currently have an '87 Exerciser (minus the correct wheels) from a few years ago that I got as a first bike. It was a blast to ride but it was too small for me which made me not enjoy riding that much in the end (plus I prioritized some other hobbies). But looking to get back in it now, this time with a properly sized bike.
Likes For Antergos:
Old 05-06-22, 07:59 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
This looks like a very stiff frame. The top and down tubes are oversize and according to spec sheet, also oval. I believe the "Visual Spline" refers to a stiffening flute, similar to Colnago Gilco tubing. I don't think this is too far off the mark as other forum members have referred to slightly later versions of FM1 as being Miyata's version of Columbus Max. Very stiff frames feel remarably responsive on short rides but can fatigue you on long rides. If you're looking for a comfortable ride, this may not be the bicycle for you.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 05-06-22, 08:37 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,889 Times in 1,646 Posts
Antergos already rides an aluminum Koga-Miyata Exerciser with an aluminum (non-aero) fork, albeit a lower-level one that's a bit small, and says that it's a blast to ride, so aluminum as a frame or fork material isn't an issue.

To answer what, at this point, is the only question in the opening post that hasn't been addressed, the aero aluminum fork that was used for the upper-end models seems unlikely to offer any significant or perceptible benefit compared to the non-aero aluminum fork on the Exerciser model. Might be a bit lighter, given the price points. Or not. My guess is that the aero fork was added as a marketing tool to help justify the higher prices of the upper models.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 05-06-22, 01:22 PM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 996 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Antergos

BTW, your link is to a local file (hence the file as protocol) on your computer so it won't work for me.

I wish it was 300 yen!! I meant dollars as I assumed the userbase is mostly American. I myself am from Belgium.
Sorry, my fault. this has to be better.
I'm Dutch.
Old 05-06-22, 02:41 PM
Antergos

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hmmmm, tempting to reply in different post to all you guys to quickly get my post count to 10, but I'll behave.

Originally Posted by T-Mar
This looks like a very stiff frame. The top and down tubes are oversize and according to spec sheet, also oval. I believe the "Visual Spline" refers to a stiffening flute, similar to Colnago Gilco tubing. I don't think this is too far off the mark as other forum members have referred to slightly later versions of FM1 as being Miyata's version of Columbus Max. Very stiff frames feel remarably responsive on short rides but can fatigue you on long rides. If you're looking for a comfortable ride, this may not be the bicycle for you.
Thanks for your very helpful insight! I don't really know what I'm looking for as I am relatively new (as in only ridden 1 roadbike). I don't really know if I'm going to like it if I don't try so that is where your helpful help and that of others end. I just needed to know if it would be an okay buy on the technical/mechanical side of things and ofcourse +- what characteristics I could expect. I hope I will have some money saved soon and that that particular KM is still available.

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Antergos already rides an aluminum Koga-Miyata Exerciser with an aluminum (non-aero) fork, albeit a lower-level one that's a bit small, and says that it's a blast to ride, so aluminum as a frame or fork material isn't an issue.
The '87 model is still Miyata FM2 CrMo, so it probably is a lot more flexible. That said, I'd like to try out a stiffer frame and if it is not to my liking I can either sell it again, or better yet, buy another for a softer ride and have this one for when I'm feeling extra racey.

To answer what, at this point, is the only question in the opening post that hasn't been addressed, the aero aluminum fork that was used for the upper-end models seems unlikely to offer any significant or perceptible benefit compared to the non-aero aluminum fork on the Exerciser model. Might be a bit lighter, given the price points. Or not. My guess is that the aero fork was added as a marketing tool to help justify the higher prices of the upper models.[/QUOTE]

Alright, thanks for the info! That was also my guess, but was not sure.

Sorry, my fault. *the usual problem*
I'm Dutch.
It sure is, but wasn't a problem in the first place as I know what you meant, it was just an FYI type of thing.
Likes For Antergos: