Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Popped new tube installing with new tight tire. What did I do wrong?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-22, 01:54 PM
juntjoo

Bikes: Cannondale Bent 2, Fuji Royale, Mongoose Snare

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

On my road bike with skinny 27" tires when I installed a new tire it was so tight that I had to lever the tube in between the tire and rim at the end as it was hanging out.

I was careful not to pinch against the rim but it was pretty folded up in there and ended up popping it once inflating it to 100psi.

Was my method of getting the tire on okay and I should have only inflated partially then riding it to form the tube before fully inflating it or should I have by no means put the resorted to forcing the tube in as I did?
Old 07-30-22, 02:15 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
You may have caught the tube under the bead. I did this a few times until I learned you need to check for it.
Old 07-30-22, 02:16 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2229 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
Pinched it.

Did the tire blow off the rim, or did the tube come out the side somehow? If so, improper/incompatible mounting. Also, some tubes are defective out of the box.
Old 07-30-22, 02:20 PM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Everything was mounted right. It popped in the area where I have to lever/pry it in where it bunched up. Perhaps it was pinched under the tire or itself. I was rushing, as 8 always do when I f*** something up. I should have just inflated to 30 then rode for a bit. Dummy!

Tire is fine, it just blew a section off the rim where it blew. Won't do it again I PROMISE! Unfortunately I learn best when I mess up.
Old 07-30-22, 02:28 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by juntjoo
Everything was mounted right. It popped in the area where I have to lever/pry it in where it bunched up. Perhaps it was pinched under the tire or itself. I was rushing, as 8 always do when I f*** something up. I should have just inflated to 30 then rode for a bit. Dummy!

Tire is fine, it just blew a section off the rim where it blew. Won't do it again I PROMISE! Unfortunately I learn best when I mess up.
No, it was not mounted right. It wouldn't have blown off if it was. No, you shouldn't 'inflate to 30 and ride a bit'. You should install the tire and tube correctly and you won't have any problems. DON'T be in a hurry, DON'T use tire levers to put the tire back on. The tube should not be bunched up.
Old 07-30-22, 02:33 PM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
No, it was not mounted right. It wouldn't have blown off if it was. No, you shouldn't 'inflate to 30 and ride a bit'. You should install the tire and tube correctly and you won't have any problems. DON'T be in a hurry, DON'T use tire levers to put the tire back on. The tube should not be bunched up.

Well I needed the tire levers. There was no other way to get the tire on.... Just checked, rims are 27", not 700c. So how else do you get a new tight tire on?
Old 07-30-22, 02:35 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Was the tire 27 inch or 700c?
Old 07-30-22, 03:30 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
Whenever you mount a tire, before pumping it up, push the tire bead in and check for any tube caught underneath the bead. Pump a little air in and check again before pumping up all the way. Sounds tedious but it isn't really, and you'll probably never have a tube blow up from being caught under the bead again.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 07-30-22, 04:28 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
When you get to the last section of the tire that still needs to be snapped in, first use your finger to reach under and push the tube in. And then with your other hand press down on the tire (and tube inside) and hold it there. This will hold the tube. No go to town with your tire lever.
Old 07-30-22, 04:56 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3498 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Well I needed the tire levers. There was no other way to get the tire on.... Just checked, rims are 27", not 700c. So how else do you get a new tight tire on?
I think this is where your problem started. You never should use a tire lever to install a tire. Yes, it can be super difficult and give you blisters on your thumbs, but eventually you’ll get used to doing it.

I’ve read some people here put their tire in the Sun for a while to heat up and expand a little. See if that helps next time.
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-30-22, 05:22 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Put some air in the tube just to give it some shape when you insert it into the tire. This will help keep it from bunching up.

If you tried to install a 27" tire on a 700C rim, or vice versa, it won't work.

If you blew a piece off your rim, as stated above, it will never work.
Old 07-30-22, 05:37 PM
juntjoo

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I think this is where your problem started. You never should use a tire lever to install a tire. Yes, it can be super difficult and give you blisters on your thumbs, but eventually you’ll get used to doing it.

I’ve read some people here put their tire in the Sun for a while to heat up and expand a little. See if that helps next time.
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind for the future
Old 07-30-22, 06:57 PM
MudPie

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
First, don't use tire levels to install the tires. Getting a tire on a rim is not about strength but more about technique.

Check out tip #1 and #6 (first and last tips) in the quick video below. This is my trick to installing tires without levers. I've won a few bets doing this.

Also, it helps to inflate the tube slightly so it has some shape and will form to the tire. When you get to the last portion of the etting the bead over the rim, you can start letting some or all the air out.

Old 07-30-22, 07:01 PM
BillRS22

Bikes: Waterford RS22 (2004), PEUGEOT PKN10 (1981), Raleigh Gran Sport (1976), Mercian 1974

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 25 Posts
Putting Tire On Rim

As mentioned earlier, I always inflate the tube somewhat to give it shape. Sometimes
I spray a liquid, such as windex, around the last section of rim and tire. That usually
provides enough lubricity to allow the tire to slip over the rim. Bill
Old 07-30-22, 07:31 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
I posted this once or twice before in tips and tricks:

In the diagram the blue is the tire bead, the green is the outer rim, the red is the bead seat and the black is the center channel of the rim. On the left side the valve is at 90 degrees to where you are working to get the tire over the rim, on the right side is where the valve is at 180 degrees. If you do it as on the right, the tire won't go into the center channel because of the valve and you won't be able to get it over the rim if it is tight. On the left side, the tire goes into the center channel and gives you just enough extra to pull it over. It could still be a struggle but you've given yourself that much extra tire. In the pics the tire is somewhat elongated, just as it would be when you are pushing it over.

Also, inflate the tube slightly so it sits fully within the tire when mounting as others have said. Only when you get to the last bit you may need to let the air out to allow the tire to deform and stretch a bit more. This will prevent pinching.

I had some tires that were impossible to get on with the valve at the bottom while I worked at the top, even with levers. When I figured out this trick it popped right on.

Old 07-30-22, 07:39 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 369 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
If you tried to install a 27" tire on a 700C rim, or vice versa, it won't work..
While not ideal, in a pinch (pun intended) it will work if you know what you are doing, noe if the tube is too wide, that can be a deal breaker in the extreme. I've put 700 tubes in a 650 wheel on group rides in an emergency.
Old 07-30-22, 08:00 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by wheelreason
While not ideal, in a pinch (pun intended) it will work if you know what you are doing, noe if the tube is too wide, that can be a deal breaker in the extreme. I've put 700 tubes in a 650 wheel on group rides in an emergency.
Tubes, yes. Tires, not so much.

(Some tubes are labeled both 650b and 26". Butyl rubber stretches.)
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-30-22, 08:42 PM
Rick

Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 272 Posts
This is how I install tires.

1: Inspection: Make Sure the tube and tire size are tte correct size for the rim.
2: make sure the tire is free of pointy things and debris and the rim rubber or tape are centered and secure.
3: Inflate the tube just enough to give it some shape and put it in the tire.
4: Place valve core in The valve hole and work one side of tire over the edge of the rim.
5: Start the other side of the tire over the edge of the rim at the valve core.
6: Push the valve core in toward the rim bed so the bead can slip in the rim.
7: Before you finish and as you are finishing putting this side of the tire over the edge of the rim. Visually inspect to confirm the tube is not being pinched as you work this edge over the rim. On very tight fitting tires you will also need to remove the air you put in the tube.
8: When working the beed down toward the rim bed I like to start from the valve up and have somebody push down on the hub. On really tight fitting tires, several tries may be necessary to finish putting the last bit of beed over the rim.

I commonly use the tire levers to shove the tube back in the tire. I purchase a balance bike for my grandson whom is still in diapers. The long straight AV valves wouldn't allow any of my inflation equipment to work conveniently. So I bought Schwalbe AV1 45° 12" tubes to replace the AV1 12" tubes.

This Is the most difficult tire change I can remember. I broke a plastic tire lever. I used my coated steel longish park levers. The first side was the most difficult. I used the coated steel tire levers and made sure no interference was happening with the tube.
Old 07-31-22, 08:31 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Rick
I commonly use the tire levers to shove the tube back in the tire.
Don’t ever follow this advice.
Old 07-31-22, 11:09 AM
Rick

[QUOTE][smd4: Don’t ever follow this advice./QUOTE]

You are confused or misinterpreting what I posted. In other words explain Yourself.
Old 07-31-22, 11:56 AM
smd4

[QUOTE=Rick;22593769]
[smd4: Don’t ever follow this advice./QUOTE]

You are confused or misinterpreting what I posted. In other words explain Yourself.
I think what you wrote is not confusing at all. How would I “misinterpret” the sentence of yours that I quoted?
Old 07-31-22, 10:13 PM
Rick

I think what you wrote is not confusing at all. How would I “misinterpret” the sentence of yours that I quoted?
I never have pinched tubes when putting a tire on because I check to see that the tube is far enough in the tire so it won't get pinched. If it isn't in far enough in I push it back with the tire lever before it gets pinched.
Old 08-01-22, 07:32 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Rick
I never have pinched tubes when putting a tire on because I check to see that the tube is far enough in the tire so it won't get pinched. If it isn't in far enough in I push it back with the tire lever before it gets pinched.
If it works for you, great.

I can't remember the last time I ever used a tire lever. I would certainly never use one to re-install a tire/tube.
Old 08-01-22, 10:08 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
Here's my method using my diagram in my post above:

1. Put one side of tire completely on rim. With folding tires this will hold its shape.
2. Put tube in hole.
3. Inflate tube just enough to hold shape.
4. Put tube wholly within tire.
5. Place tire bead over rim at the valve.
6. Work from the valve and get tire on rim, work one side more than the other but keep valve straight. Make sure the tube stays in the tire.
7. With valve at 90 degrees get tire on as much as easily possible. Release air as necessary.
8. Release most air from tube.
9. Make sure tire is seated within the center channel at the bottom and around while you work at the top. See my diagram above.
10. Pull tire over rim in the last spot. Or push with your palms, a little at a time. Sometimes you need to curl the tire over the opposite rim.
11. Pump up tire to make it seat fully but not all the way.
12. Hold the wheel by the hub or QR and give it a spin and make sure the tire is seated evenly.
13. Pump up to full pressure if it is. If you have rim brakes make sure it'll fit through the brakes first if fully inflated. Otherwise you'll have to do it again. Or just put it on the bike to pump.
14. Give it another spin to make sure it is still centered and even.
15. Either go ride or have a beer.
Old 08-01-22, 11:15 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 1,930 Posts
Well I needed the tire levers. There was no other way to get the tire on
Try using a bead jack rather than tire levers. And once mounted, inflate partially and check that the inner tube isn't stuck under the tire bead, where it can extrude and burst under full pressure. There should be a "witness line" on the sidewall of the tire; look to see that it is the same distance from the rim sidewall all the way around, on both sides, before fully inflating. If it's not, deflate fully and manipulate the tire to get the tube fully enclosed within the tire. Sometimes a bit of soapy water can help things slide into place. Reinflate partially and repeat, until it's right.

https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tir.../dp/B001AYML7K

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 08-01-22 at 11:18 AM.
Likes For JohnDThompson:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.