Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Near Death Experience Today

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-17-22, 08:29 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,826 Posts

Was doing a climb with another guy up a forested, winding rural road. There was next to no traffic and we were having a nice chat riding abreast (Varia was on to alert me to any traffic approaching from the rear so I had time to move over and ride single file) when on a straight section an oncoming older gray van intentionally moves to the center of my lane at about 35 MPH. The guy on my right, yells, ‘oh f!’ and almost runs into guard rail (no shoulder) as I quickly swerve almost into him (handlebar to handlebar) as the van misses me by a couple of feet. It all happened so fast, there was no way to get his plate. This would have been an opportune time to have a camera. Haven’t had this kind of thing happen in decades.

The rest of the 50 miles was fortunately uneventful and peaceful.

Being BF, who will be the first to try to blame me for this oncoming idiot trying to take me and my friend out? Maybe question me on how I know it was intentional? (I have an extremely bright front flasher which can be seen a couple of miles away.)

Last edited by rsbob; 09-17-22 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-17-22, 08:34 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 285 Posts
I'm glad you're okay. I hope that driver experiences some type of karma for his behavior. Anyone who acts like that will more than likely get his just desserts some time. Hopefully sooner than later...
Likes For mtnbud:
Old 09-17-22, 08:38 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 910 Posts
It's hard to defend "stupid."

Prejudice & ignorance sucks. In that, it'd be nice if traffic engineers would flex their considerable muscle in shifting design priorities such that it is obvious cars are in people space & not the other way around.

We need wholesale culture change.

I'm glad you are ok. I hope you didn't need to wipe.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 09-17-22, 08:39 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
that’s terrifying! glad you and the other rider are OK.

a head on collision on a full-lane descent with car across the line (whether because they’re avoiding uphill cyclists or just driving badly) is high on my list of fears.
Old 09-17-22, 08:40 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Maybe question me on how I know it was intentional? (I have an extremely bright front flasher which can be seen a couple of miles away.)
I don't know why someone would intentionally swerve towards you, but distracted drivers (checking cell phones, e.g.) often drift onto the shoulder or across the center line -- which seems a more plausible explanation. Either way, the end result was the same. I'm glad you and your friend are alright.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-17-22, 09:15 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Just to add a little more excitement, about three minutes later, my friend and I riding single file up the next hill on a curve were startled to see an oncoming car overtaking two cyclists going his direction and splitting the center line. Luckily there was plenty of room this time but I have never experienced this before either. A two-fer!

Old 09-17-22, 09:23 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
... This would have been an opportune time to have a camera.
Glad you're ok. Don't hesitate. Start shopping for a front camera and a rear-facing camera.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 09-17-22, 09:32 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
Terrifying, happy you made it. In my retirement I have found retirement communities 5 and 8 foot bike lanes a blessing. I
n the summer up in the Bighorns most all drivers are so nice if a couple are about to cross paths as they approach you in the bike lane (really a 3 foot shoulder outside the solid white line) one of the vehicles will slow down so both of them have room to get into the other lane to give plenty of room for the cyclist.
Old 09-17-22, 09:34 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Daniel4
Glad you're ok. Don't hesitate. Start shopping for a front camera and a rear-facing camera.
If I turned a file over to the local Sheriff I wonder if they would do anything? Usually they have to be there to witness the infraction. If the perp did get in trouble I hate to think what they would do to the next cyclist.

Old 09-18-22, 12:07 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
that’s terrifying! glad you and the other rider are OK.

a head on collision on a full-lane descent with car across the line (whether because they’re avoiding uphill cyclists or just driving badly) is high on my list of fears.
One of the most annoying things I've encountered was at Crater Lake. I was descending at about 40 MPH down the middle of my lane. Fairly rough paved roads and a drop off to my right.

And cars coming uphill decided they had to pass other cyclists taking up half of my lane (including the space where I was riding). I'd wave my arms to make sure they saw me, but that didn't matter to the drivers.

It happened several times on that trip.
Old 09-18-22, 01:28 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
it is getting bad as the season is coming to an end.

I always tell my friends & family to pull a LIP out on me... they might strike it rich should I get creamed riding the public lawless streets.
Old 09-18-22, 04:02 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Sucks that I didn't see this sooner .... I would have happily been the first to blame you ..... it's in my nature, I can't help it.

That's what you get when you ride on a track meant for auto racing.

The pictures were so pleasant they sort of muted the actual horror of the topic. The driver will get his karma, it's unavoidable .... but it would have been nice of you could have been there to see it.

Or maybe .... you owed him from past lives but you have been good enough this time around that he couldn't take full payback.

Or maybe you still owe a karmic debt to Bike Forums .... Post more good posts if you want to leave this world.

More seriously .... the idea of a pair of mini-cameras ..... for that one-in-a-million occurrence ..... I 'd hate to have to prep for near-death before each ride, though.

At least you and your riding buddy have a good scary story to tell at parties.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-18-22, 04:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts
Just to add a little more excitement, about three minutes later, my friend and I riding single file up the next hill on a curve were startled to see an oncoming car overtaking two cyclists going his direction and splitting the center line. Luckily there was plenty of room this time but I have never experienced this before either. A two-fer!
In PA a motorist is permitted to cross the double yellow line to attain the required 4’ passing distance as long as it is safe to do so.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-18-22, 05:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I don't know why someone would intentionally swerve towards you, but distracted drivers (checking cell phones, e.g.) often drift onto the shoulder or across the center line -- which seems a more plausible explanation. Either way, the end result was the same. I'm glad you and your friend are alright.

I don't know why negligence is a "more plausible" explanation than malevolence in this situation. I've certainly been on the receiving end of both as a rider.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-18-22, 05:59 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 856 Times in 422 Posts
Had an a--hole cross the center line to aim at me for fun just the other day.

"Let's make him flinch!"

"HA-HAH!"

Maybe we should bring back corporal punishment, and add electro-shock therapy, and remedial kindergarten as possible sentences. Judges should be able to say it while yawning:

"Five lashes and.." --yawn-- "EST 'n' RK"

"Next!"
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 09-18-22, 06:01 AM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Being BF, who will be the first to try to blame me for this oncoming idiot trying to take me and my friend out? Maybe question me on how I know it was intentional? (I have an extremely bright front flasher which can be seen a couple of miles away.)
I don't believe in Karma happening to others, but i do explain stuff happening to me because i've been doing something wrong, and i can almost always find the blame.
Have You been doing something wrong at that moment ?
Old 09-18-22, 07:05 AM
bikehoco

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
Glad you ok.

Do many people ride with cameras?
Old 09-18-22, 07:12 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
Originally Posted by bikehoco
Glad you ok.

Do many people ride with cameras?
I don't but have considered one. Several accidents have been shown to be the driver's fault that could have been blamed on the cyclist because they were caught on a Go Pro or similar device. Even one that showed a patrol car right hooking a bike if I recall correctly.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 09-18-22, 07:19 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
3-4% of the general population has Antisocial Personality Disorder.
No small wonder you had this experience.
It is very sadistic to swerve into or drive straight at a cyclist.

I stayed off bikes for 25 years because a man ran me over a curb by crossing over the road in a residential neighborhood and gunning his engine to force me into a crash or risk a headon crash.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 09-18-22, 07:25 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
He was probably texting. Cell phone need to be programed to shut off if moving faster than 10 mph!!!
Likes For rydabent:
Old 09-18-22, 07:27 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
When I toured across country in 1990 this was common in Eastern Kansas, Missouri, and parts of Kentucky. I'd be riding along a quiet back road and a car would approach from the other direction. The car would cross the line and aim toward me and at the last second the driver would jerk the wheel back to the right and as he went by he would scream obscenities or spit.

There were 4 of us riding and we would split up during the day, sometimes 2 of us were together, and it happened so often I told my friends they must teach it in school. It happened so often when I would see a car crossing the line I would just think to myself "here comes another one".

When we were in a cafe the locals were just lovely and we would tell them about the drivers they were shocked.

It happened to me once in the mountains outside of L.A. when a punk ass in a monster truck crossed over and got very close to me. This one really freaked me out.
Old 09-18-22, 07:34 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Scary! I mostly commute and have ridden with a helmet cam for 8 years. The one time I really wanted the video from it I failed to turn it on before the ride.

I'm glad everyone's okay.
Old 09-18-22, 07:51 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
... when on a straight section an oncoming older gray van intentionally moves to the center of my lane at about 35 MPH ... misses me by a couple of feet. It all happened so fast, ...
Sounds like attempted murder, to me. (At bare minimum, aggravated assault with a ~6000 lb vehicle.) He's lucky there wasn't video (fore and aft) recording the act, his flight, and his license plate.

Glad you're both okay, more or less.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 09-18-22, 08:34 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
If I turned a file over to the local Sheriff I wonder if they would do anything? Usually they have to be there to witness the infraction. If the perp did get in trouble I hate to think what they would do to the next cyclist.
If the truck was a commercial vehicle with identifiable markings, you can report the date, time and location of the incidence to the company HQ.

You can send the details to the police too. Whether or not they do anything is a wild guess. There seems to be mixed messages about that. Does the police really need to be a witness when a violation occurs? What about murder, r*pe or other road collisions? Many times police release closed circuit video footages asking for public input for their investigation. And then there are cases where people telephone in and report something and it gets assigned to a police officer to call you back.

There are several stories in which stunt drivers post their speeding on-line only to be arrested by the police later using their videos as evidence.

Last edited by Daniel4; 09-18-22 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-18-22, 08:46 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
I had a scary event a week ago, though less personal. A car sped through a red light well after the light change and at well over the 50 mph speed limit as I was about to enter the intersection. I did a panic stop to stay out of the crossing or I would have been clobbered.

I always have the option to turn off and take a MUP trail tunnel under that road crossing but had been in the habit of crossing on the road if the light turns green right as I come up to it. Now I take the trail tunnel regardless, just to avoid the risk.

Otto

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.