Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rehabbing vintage hub. Need advise...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-12, 10:30 PM
zanq

Bikes: Tumbleweed Prospector 29+, 1991 Schwinn High Plains resto-mod, 1998 Schwinn Homegrown resto-mod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm hoping to get a little advise. I'm looking to build a wheelset for an old frame and ended up winning an Ebay auction for a set of Shimano 600 hubs that were described as "spin smooth".

The rear hub is beautiful and spins silky smooth. The front hub is a little rough. On closer inspection, I found one of the cups to be slightly pitted.

So I'm trying to figure out what to do. I did some research on if the cups can be fixed and found a comment somewhere that using a metal polishing compound like Simichrome (https://www.amazon.com/Simichrome-Pol.../dp/B000BGOC0W) can fix the cup if it isn't to bad. You remove the bearings and grease, fill the cup with the polishing compound, reassemble with the bearings and run it until the pits are smoothed out. The bearings get tossed and everything is cleaned. New grease and bearings go in.

I'm curious if anyone has heard of this or tried it. I would say the hub is usable but I certainly would not start a new wheel build with it.

If there is not viable way to rehab the front, then I'll have to take issue with the seller within 14-days. This hub does not "spin smooth". Has anyone heard of the polishing compound trick?

Thanks!
Old 06-15-12, 10:54 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
I'd think it would a lot easier & a better way to go if replaced the cones & bearings in the hub. Who knows how long it would take for a polishing cmpd to grind those races smooth. You'll need some cone wrenches if you decide to tackle the job.

Shimano 600EX...And still take-up issue w/ seller
Likes For 1 Lugnut:
Old 06-15-12, 11:09 PM
zanq

Bikes: Tumbleweed Prospector 29+, 1991 Schwinn High Plains resto-mod, 1998 Schwinn Homegrown resto-mod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 Lugnut
Who knows how long it would take for a polishing cmpd to grind those races smooth.
Supposedly 10 min. spinning the axle with a drill press (which I have). The cones looked fine, or maybe I didn't look close enough.
Old 06-15-12, 11:11 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
I'm kinda interested because I have never found a properly adjusted 600 hub with good bearings that didn't run smooth.
Old 06-16-12, 12:26 AM
puchfinnland
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 4 Posts
I put new balls in my campy hub and packed them with semichrome- after 2-5 min of battery drill action I cleaned and repacked- silky smooth.

for some reason I keep the balls on the same side they were ground on- might not make any difference but does not cost any effort to do it like that
Likes For puchfinnland:
Old 07-21-20, 06:27 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
This is certainly an unorthodox method; not one that I would employ if the build was measured against my reputation. Reminds me of the old days when someone would fill the rear end in a car to quiet it down and sell it that way. Eventually the sawdust would wear out and leave the new owner in quite a pickle.
Old 07-21-20, 11:23 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Why not return the hubs to the sender? They were not smooth as advertised.
Old 07-21-20, 11:28 AM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
Yup. As much as I like a hacky fix, I think you should pursue either a return or a partial refund for an amount that would make you feel good about the purchase. Maybe ask for a refund for the value of the front hub and try to source a good one through the For Sale forum here.
Old 07-21-20, 12:30 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
Maybe because this thread is eight years old?
Likes For Dfrost: