Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Wheelset recommendations.....

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-28-22, 11:30 AM
ArgoMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts

Hello all,

Getting into my new build. Light steel frame, steel fork (Soma). Kind of a mix for distance/speed build. Need a wheelset recommendation. I've got no carbon on the bike, except for headset spacers, and don't really care if I add anything carbon. BUT, I did see a set of "Fast Forward Tyro Clincher Carbons" at ProBikeKit for $679. Seems like a decent price with good reviews. I'was otherwise looking at Campy Zonda and Shamal. Any opinion or info on the Fast Forward brand? Thank you!
Old 06-28-22, 02:08 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
You running XDR?...that is what shows available. I have 0 experience with the wheels and know nobody with them. They arent light, for what its worth. Good price and you get a 45mm depth though, if thats what you are looking for.
Old 06-28-22, 02:36 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by ArgoMan
Hello all,

Getting into my new build. Light steel frame, steel fork (Soma). Kind of a mix for distance/speed build. Need a wheelset recommendation. I've got no carbon on the bike, except for headset spacers, and don't really care if I add anything carbon. BUT, I did see a set of "Fast Forward Tyro Clincher Carbons" at ProBikeKit for $679. Seems like a decent price with good reviews. I'was otherwise looking at Campy Zonda and Shamal. Any opinion or info on the Fast Forward brand? Thank you!
I run Campy Zondas on a rim brake bike, and think they're pretty sweet. They seem light, spin up quickly, and the G3 lacing pattern is different. The hub on these is also very, very quiet when freewheeling, so if you're looking for a loud buzz... these ain't it. I went with them because they're alloy, which I definitely prefer on a rim brake bike - were I building up a disc brake bike, I'd probably look harder at carbon options like FF, Prime, or Hunt, which also have wheels in that price range. Should be just as light, but more aero - or lighter, and equivalently non-aero. I seem to remember someone did a review on FF wheels - if I can recall who it is, I'll link to it.
Old 06-28-22, 03:20 PM
ArgoMan

What's XDR?
Old 06-28-22, 03:21 PM
ArgoMan

Thanks. Think there's a major difference between the Zonda and Shamal, in terms of performance? I may get into a little competition riding. Nothing grand....
Old 06-28-22, 03:37 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 129 Posts
What's XDR?
XDR is the standard needed to run SRAM 12 speed cassettes that have a 10T gear. If you're running Shimano, you'll want Shimano 11-speed (listed as Shimano or maybe as HG). Shimano 11sp freehubs can run Shimano 12sp cassettes, IIRC.
Old 06-28-22, 05:14 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts
Getting into my new build. Light steel frame, steel fork (Soma).
Rim brakes or disc brakes? Is this your vintage steel frame? If so, most likely rim brakes.

BUT, I did see a set of "Fast Forward Tyro Clincher Carbons" at ProBikeKit for $679. Seems like a decent price with good reviews.
You saw these: Fast Forward Tyro Carbon Clincher Disc Brake Wheelset | ProBikeKit.com

These are the original Tyro, for disc brakes and XDR; you will need to replace the freehub body if you want to run any cassette other than an SRAM 12 speed. That is a great price, potential compatibility issues aside.

Any opinion or info on the Fast Forward brand?
I recently bought these: FFWD Wheels F4R 45mm Tubeless Carbon Clincher Wheel Set (ffwdusa.com)

I like them very much but they have been discontinued. FFWD's current entry level model is the Tyro II, available in both disc brake and rim brake (RB) model, which are currently on sale:

FFWD Wheels TYRO II 45mm Rim Brake Carbon Clincher Wheel Set (ffwdusa.com)

As I mentioned in one of your other threads, assuming that your steel frame uses the rim brakes, the issue is whether the frame would clear a wider wheel and tire combination.
Old 06-28-22, 05:24 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts
Thanks. Think there's a major difference between the Zonda and Shamal, in terms of performance? I may get into a little competition riding. Nothing grand....
The Shamal has CF hubs and ceramic bearings representing a 90 g weight savings. Hard to justify the price differential.
Old 06-29-22, 07:49 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

What's XDR?
That wheelset you are looking at is not light and uses XDR, which you presumably dont have.
Doesnt seem like the best fit for you.
Old 06-29-22, 11:38 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
The Shamal has CF hubs and ceramic bearings representing a 90 g weight savings. Hard to justify the price differential.
Even though I have a set of Shamals and really like them, Zondas represent much better value considering the price difference
Old 06-30-22, 10:10 AM
ArgoMan

Thank you everyone! I've settled on Zondas. Next....I'll be posting about seat post opinions. What a confusing area!
Old 07-18-22, 12:12 AM
MTBbumpcrush

Bikes: Specialize Rockhopper 29

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Glad you get your dream wheels,I was also searching for my Cannondale CAAD 10,I want the wheel to be lightweight and aero,the budgetary wheels possess this 2 features are Hunt,Winspace,Elitewheels and Cadex but prices on par with big brand.After comparing and learning more about aero features on 105 rules and the 25c tire i intend to use,I pull trigger on Elitewheels Drive 40V
The wheels felt light and they were easier to climb than my previous wheelset,Going over potholes at 35km/h is quite a jolt but the wheels are not affected.I went over many potholes and the wheels stayed true -- a testament to the quality of the build and craftsmanship of the wheels.The wheels felt light and responsive,they were easier to climb than any of my previous wheelset.
Old 07-18-22, 02:28 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
If you want optimal performance and comfort I'd consider tubeless. I bought Mavic USTs for about $600 and that includes the tires. They are lighter, more comfortable and spin up quicker than tubular and clinchers.
Old 07-19-22, 07:28 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Next....I'll be posting about seat post opinions.
It holds a saddle- just buy one that holds the saddle well. Get a carbon one if you want to experience the magical perception of damping and flex.
There, done.
Old 07-19-22, 07:36 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Thank you everyone! I've settled on Zondas. Next....I'll be posting about seat post opinions. What a confusing area!
good call - Zondas are tremendous bang for the buck