Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

"Done Got Old" UPDATE

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

"Done Got Old" UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-22, 09:22 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
...I am looking for a mixte just to have ready if and when the time comes that I need to change bikes due to the inevitable effects of aging.
Ha... I am so glad you posted this. I purchased a Peu Mixte years ago and have it patiently waiting in the back of my garage. I figure when its knee or other disability time I will be able to enjoy myself fixing it up during recovery and hopefully take it our for a ride afterwards.

Good Luck... I think your going to be fine...
Old 08-25-22, 07:57 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
I purchased a Peu Mixte years ago and have it patiently waiting in the back of my garage. I figure when its knee or other disability time I will be able to enjoy myself fixing it up during recovery and hopefully take it our for a ride afterwards.

Good Luck... I think your going to be fine...
My original plan was the front bike from this His N Hers set of Gitanes I picked up from the son of the original owners last Summer but the knee thing kind of snowballed and I knew I wouldn't get it done in time. Plus I found the top bars were higher than a standard domestic girl's bike and it was hard to get my size 12's through there in the condition I was in at the time so I knew it would be even harder during my recovery. I still plan to rebuild them though, my wife wants to do the local Tweed rides and I figure the puple one in the background would make her a suitable ride for that. I'll paint it to match my '72 Interclub build..... once I decide on a color..... The bigger one will stay gold.

The Interclub:

Old 09-08-22, 10:28 AM
Murray Missile 

FREEDOM!!!! I just got back from my first real bike ride since my surgeries. I only went about a half mile to see how things went and it went very well. I took one of my Dahon folders and it was a little "wobbly" with the 20 inch wheels so after I grab some lunch I'm going to roll out my Takara MTB and knock the dust and cobwebs off it. It felt so good to be pedaling and actually going somewhere............... I'm not feeling so old right now LOL.
Old 09-08-22, 11:51 AM
Murray Missile 

1.5 miles on the Takara! Had a mild headwind and a couple small hills in the route for good measure. Me getting on and off it must have been quite the spectacle, hope nobody I know was driving by. Saddle was a little low so it was putting more of a bend on my knees. I could feel it but it wasn't painful just a little uncomfortable so I left it as that extra little bend is good for my flexibilty, in fact I may drop the saddle on the trainer bike a little bit now. Rear derailleur wasn't indexing quite right and I had to fiddle with the shifter a bit. Wish Accushift had cable adjusters at the shifters, I'll attend to that later. I suspect I may feel the ride later too but that's OK.

One more gratuitous picture LOL. Man I love this bike! It rides so nice.

Old 09-08-22, 12:04 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
1.5 miles on the Takara! Had a mild headwind and a couple small hills in the route for good measure. Me getting on and off it must have been quite the spectacle, hope nobody I know was driving by. Saddle was a little low so it was putting more of a bend on my knees. I could feel it but it wasn't painful just a little uncomfortable so I left it as that extra little bend is good for my flexibilty, in fact I may drop the saddle on the trainer bike a little bit now. Rear derailleur wasn't indexing quite right and I had to fiddle with the shifter a bit. Wish Accushift had cable adjusters at the shifters, I'll attend to that later. I suspect I may feel the ride later too but that's OK.

One more gratuitous picture LOL. Man I love this bike! It rides so nice.

Heck yeah! Congrats on getting back on a horizontal top tube frame!
Likes For tricky:
Old 09-08-22, 12:38 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
What, you stopped already? Shoulda been at least a 10 mile day. 😁😉 Glad to hear you're rolling again. 👍

Ha, I was sitting in the public library yesterday, where it's nice & cool, and somehow I got on YouTube (not that common for me). I got to listening to Caress Of Steel, and a light toetapping to keep time, turned into some mild air-drumming. I caught myself, just as the librarian started looking at me kinda funny. At least I didn't start singing, lol. 🙊😉
Likes For stardognine:
Old 09-08-22, 01:15 PM
ccharala

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Huh....good thinking on the speaker.
Old 09-09-22, 02:08 PM
Murray Missile 

Went back to the doctor today, he was pleased with my progress and told me ride my bike as much as I want. Only bad thing is that I have to go back to work in 3 weeks...........
Old 10-01-22, 02:54 PM
Murray Missile 

OK, in the past week I have ridden our "new to us" tandem solo, my 2021 Trek Marlin 5, my 1997 Trek 820 (25th anniversary ride), my 1987 Dahon folder, my 1986 Takara MTB and my just acquired 1983 Schwinn Super Sport. What's next? Oooh............. maybe my 1984 Focus RS-500........ I've had it a year and haven't ridden it yet. I don't even have it completely reassembled after receiving it!

Old 10-02-22, 09:10 PM
dmarkun
Slowfoot

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh International, 1979 Scapin (?), 1980 Trek 715, 1984 SR Maxima, 1993 Bridgestone RB1, 1998 753 Waterford X-12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 49 Posts
Murray Missile - I remember my dad pushing me along on my first bike in 1961. Boy I wore him out that day, took me quite a while to get the hang of it. But I never thought about the bike before. Seeing your post jogged the old brain. It was a shiny red Murray Missile. Sorry about your knees but thanks for the memory!
Likes For dmarkun:
Old 10-03-22, 04:39 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by dmarkun
Murray Missile - I remember my dad pushing me along on my first bike in 1961. Boy I wore him out that day, took me quite a while to get the hang of it. But I never thought about the bike before. Seeing your post jogged the old brain. It was a shiny red Murray Missile. Sorry about your knees but thanks for the memory!
My first new bike was a shiny red Western Flyer 20" Lightweight ( a rebadged Raleigh), my 2nd bike new bike was a shiney red 26 inch Murray Missile, I rode the wheels off it all the way from 2nd Grade thru Jr. High. That''s what inspired my user name. In Jr. high I stripped the fenders and tank, gave it a "physchedelic" paint job, ape hangers, banana seat and a 48 inch sissy bar. My 3rd new bike came a couple years letter, a shiny red 1971 Raleigh Grand Prix. Oddly enough blue was my favorite color.......