Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Better ratios for old guy

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-24-22, 08:06 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts

Hoping for some advice.

I have aged (70) and moved to a hillier area.

currently riding a Gunnar roadie setup with chorus 10 53/39 crank and 13/26 cassette on a chorus bottom bracket 68/102mm English.

I’m looking to improve lower ratios by going to a 50/34 crank and 13/29 cassette.

Front and rear derailleurs are chorus 10 with chorus 10 brake/shifters.

Can’t seem to find a Chorus 10 compact crank.

Can I swap out the crank and bottom bracket with a chorus 12 compact crank 50/34 and record ultra torque bottom bracket 68mm using the existing derailleurs and shifters?

current ratios

expected new ratios

would this work well? Would there be much difference?

Are there other crank options like maybe an FSA on the original bottom bracket?

tia
I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 09-24-22, 09:19 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Swapping the crank probably won't be an issue. However you might need to check to see if your current DR will handle those bigger tooth cogs on the rear. I haven't had Campy stuff since my '79 Raleigh Competition G.S. which I recently got rid of. So some of the few other dedicated Campy people here will be familiar with what those names are and what might be compatible.

Since it appears you have a BSA threaded BB shell and likely have 130mm dropout spacing on the rear, you likely can put most anything on it you want. Depending of course how much money you wish to drop on it as some things will require more changes.

Weekends are usually slow around here. Most everyone else out riding or doing other stuff which I'll be doing too shortly.
Old 09-24-22, 10:23 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

The rear Dr is rated for 29t seems some have been able to get away with 30t but that cassette only seemed to be sold in the uk.

yes 130 dropout spacing

67'er
Old 09-24-22, 10:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Well even with out the cassette change on the rear, you'll see a somewhat decent amount of ease climbing in the 34F/26R combo.

One of the things I'd suspect about the Chorus 12 crank is that it's chain line might be more appropriate for bikes with a wider rear spacing than yours. Though I'm assuming your rear spacing is only 130mm. ((Oh you said that already)) Certainly there are other crank manufacturers you can use for new 10 speed cranks. I used a Race Face Cadence on my Raleigh to replace the Campagnolo Gran Sport it had originally. But there are many others out there too. And for less than what peoples are asking for used Campy stuff.

For about what many are asking for a Chorus 12 crankset, you could almost put on a entire new groupset of some other brand in a mid tier level and have a 50/34 front or smaller with a 34 rear.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-24-22 at 11:02 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-24-22, 10:59 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I just hit 70 a couple of weeks ago. The past 5 years has been an ongoing transition time. Not just gearing, but set up of my bikes also. I have never had Campy, always Shimano, so cannot comment on that. But, I have found a real sweet spot for me gearing wise with 10 speed; 46/38 up front with a 11-34 in the rear. I live in flatland, so, if I am traveling and going to be riding hills/mountains, just a quick easy change to 34 small ring, and shorten the chain to it's proper length. That is also easy, the chain has 2 quick links 2 links apart. It was recommended not to do this, at least it used to be, but I have had no problems with it.

This set up is on my Lemond Poprad, and I have considered going to a 1x front and wide spread cassette, but came to the conclusion that I have no need to do that, and do not want to invest the dollars into it. I already can ride the big ring and never have to drop into the small, unless it is really windy, or, when carrying a heavier load.

Crank sets, in general, have quite a bit of compatibility with different speed groups, and often with different brands. You should be able to google it for answers. And, quite likely, someone will be chiming in on this thread with real world experience.
Old 09-24-22, 11:04 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
I don't know what set up you have right now so its hard to tell. I can give you some specs on what I use in my hilly area. I ride in an area with slightly paved roads and climbs that would be difficult without small gears up front and big in back. Really I am only good for about 100 meters on a climb before I have to go to my bipedal size 12 gears.

1 - Long cage derailleur
2 - Some kind of bail out gear in the back with 34T
3 - Compact Crank up front with small ring at 34T

Note: I try real hard to not have to use my bipedal size 12 gears. I go and go till almost falling of the bike before giving in. I have got to stop this ridiculous foray. My last unsuccessful climb left me gasping for air and curled up like a cramped dried up spider at the side of the road. It has not been in my nature, but, I must learn how to drop down into those size 12s sooner...
Old 09-24-22, 11:43 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Others will chime in with Campy specific options.

The most important aspect is whether you are making the change for the present or future. Many people chase lower gears with a few teeth here and there. I’ve done it. It is quite welcome at first and as years go on, another change is in the works.

A lot depends on how much time you spend in the 53t. If 39t is your primary ring in your new terrain, you have to determine if the 50t will be the primary ring. Riding a 34t in a 13/14/15 cog may not be a fun time. Likewise a 50-23/26/29 is also less than ideal. It does come down to how strong you are and what that trajectory looks like going forward.

After chasing gearing for a while, I just went to a triple and set it up so the inner ring was only used when needed. 95% of the time I’m in the middle and outer. But being the same age as you, and living in hilly terrain, I hope to get more years before needed e-assist.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 09-24-22, 11:45 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Certainly there are other crank manufacturers you can use for new 10 speed cranks.
Agreed, and other brands of cranksets will work just fine with a Campy drivetrain. I would personally just try to find a compact crankset with the same interface as your current bottom bracket to make the swap easier (it sounds like you have square taper?). A quick search suggests that they did make a Chorus 10 compact crank, but in carbon and only with ultra torque. https://www.ebay.com/itm/22517231855...oAAOSwqPRjKuGm
Old 09-24-22, 12:26 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,740 Times in 1,498 Posts
maybe consider 11 speed crankset?

https://www.modernbike.com/product-2...oaAq9-EALw_wcB

https://planetcyclery.com/campagnolo...0aAtaBEALw_wcB

Old 09-24-22, 12:36 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

even with a 13/29 you might not get low enough

maybe a race triple (not sure if the shfiters will hndle this)

https://planetcyclery.com/campagnolo...saAjrHEALw_wcB

https://planetcyclery.com/campagnolo...MaAtCvEALw_wcB

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/camp...0aAguqEALw_wcB

OP would have to research if current shifters would work otherwise https://www.modernbike.com/product-2...caAhW_EALw_wcB

Old 09-24-22, 12:38 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
No serious reason why you can't do what you propose. Be aware that you may not be able to lower the FD enough therefore needing to replace it.

Also, you MAY run into issues relating to chainring separation. These MIGHT cause some poor shifting, and/or chain rub using the inner with the outer half of the cassette.

Note, I only mentioned this to prepare you for the possibility, and it's easily managed. So, feel free to go ahead and deal with any problems if or when they arise.

Lastly, I suspect that you'll exceed the RD chain take up capacity. Depending on how bad, you might be able to skate by, simply by not using the 34 with the smaller rear sprockets. Or you can add a bit to the capacity by switching to a larger idler pulley.

Last edited by FBinNY; 09-24-22 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-24-22, 01:03 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
One of my bikes was refitted with a 12 - 29 10 speed cassette and an 11 speed Chorus 50 34 compact Ultra Torque crank to replace the 52 39 10 speed Ultra torque crank that I had before. Not sure if the chainring spacing of a 12 speed crank would work however
Old 09-24-22, 01:35 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

So thanks so far for all in input.

I’m not interested in switching to some other mid tier group set.

The 53 chain ring isn’t my primary ring at this point comparing current gearing to the proposed new gearing seems like I would spend most of my time in the middle of the cassette on the 50t ring and the middle to the larger cogs on the 34t ring.

This is my current bottom bracket

But I wouldn’t be opposed to switching to an ultra torque bb, they aren’t expensive. My concern here is if an ultra torque bb and crank will line up properly.

I think I probably have enough room to set the fd up with a compact crank.

looks like a used but in good shape record compact crank or chorus compact crank would work with my current bb.

67'er
Old 09-24-22, 02:53 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Looks like plenty of room to lower the FD. I have done similar things to older bikes before and it works fine. There should be plenty of square taper compact cranks out there to choose from.
Old 09-24-22, 03:25 PM
squirtdad

Originally Posted by Shadco
So thanks so far for all in input.

I’m not interested in switching to some other mid tier group set.

The 53 chain ring isn’t my primary ring at this point comparing current gearing to the proposed new gearing seems like I would spend most of my time in the middle of the cassette on the 50t ring and the middle to the larger cogs on the 34t ring.

This is my current bottom bracket

But I wouldn’t be opposed to switching to an ultra torque bb, they aren’t expensive. My concern here is if an ultra torque bb and crank will line up properly.

I think I probably have enough room to set the fd up with a compact crank.

looks like a used but in good shape record compact crank or chorus compact crank would work with my current bb.

not sure if is a consideration but I am not seeing silver chorus or record, I do see silver athena, veloce, centaur and potenza...but that was just a fast look at ebay

you could also so some thing like rene herse (bucks) https://www.renehersecycles.com/prod...onents/cranks/ or velo orange https://velo-orange.com/collections/cranks

Old 09-24-22, 03:43 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Not expecting silver or natural finish at this point.

67'er
Likes For Shadco:
Old 09-24-22, 08:12 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
Goddamnit honey, get your bike off the living room rug!! What were you thinking??
Likes For djb:
Old 09-24-22, 08:55 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Originally Posted by djb
Goddamnit honey, get your bike off the living room rug!! What were you thinking??
Mancave

67'er
Old 09-24-22, 08:58 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Still, put an old beach towel under the bike with that beautiful and light colored carpet! lol
Old 09-24-22, 09:10 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
With rc copters no less!

I have no campy experience, but would you consider looking into campy triple stuff? Im more of a touring pannier sort of guy, but still find my 50/39/30 changed to a 50/39/26 to be so versatile for lower gearing when the bike has panniers, and with a reasonably close 12-27 9 spd cassette, still not a bad low of about 25 gear inches (and with the long cage Rd, I can put a 32t cassette on for lower gearing for heavier panniers and stuff.)

I realize this gets into shifter changes and Rd and fd, and then I guess the other option is cyclocross and gravel doubles, but as mentioned, it brings into the game how much dough you want to throw at this.,.

Good luck finding options
Old 09-24-22, 09:19 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Still, put an old beach towel under the bike with that beautiful and light colored carpet! lol
No carpet was harmed in the taking of that photo.

Thats 30 year old nasty white carpet but I do put something down if I’m going to work on the bike in there. It gets now where near the nice Persian rug.

67'er
Likes For Shadco:
Old 09-24-22, 09:40 PM
BianchiBravaUS

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 4 Posts
Do I spy McIntosh? and a Les Paul? you must have Klipsch speakers with that set up but I don't recognize them. The bikes can wait lets hear some music!
Old 09-25-22, 07:02 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Will see if I get outbid on this, fairly sure I will but if not this seems like the best solution. 172.5 mm 50/34.

and yes those are klipsch chorus IIs.

67'er
Likes For Shadco:
Old 09-25-22, 03:01 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadco
Will see if I get outbid on this, fairly sure I will but if not this seems like the best solution. 172.5 mm 50/34.

I would say that it is a spot of luck that you found those cranks, they were not all that common back in the square taper days. Hope that you win the auction at a reasonable price. Those should bolt right on to your current BB
Old 09-25-22, 03:09 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
My main bike has a Shimano GRX 46/30T crankset, with either an 11-34T or 11-36T cassette (with an Ultegra derailleur officially rated for 32T max).

My Campy bike has an Athena triple, with the smallest of the 3 chainrings 30T (and largest is 52T). The cassette goes up to 29T (with an Athena long-cage derailleur). That doesn't get me as low as the "main" bike, but it is significantly better than what I had in 1987.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.