Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Could someone help me find year of this Allez I picked up?

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 08-01-22, 05:44 PM
Lman
L-man

Bikes: Co Op cty 1.3 -light touring ~1972 Peugeot OU 8 / 1992? Specialized Allez Shimankestien

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts

could Nyone give me the year of this Allez I recently bought ? Obviously the bars and bar shifters have been replaced. It seem very light and has a steel frame. It would be so appreciated, I'd love to find her age.
Old 08-01-22, 08:45 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,353 Times in 882 Posts
1996-ish
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 08-04-22, 05:08 AM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 2,230 Times in 1,303 Posts
I think I found where the decals package was from: a 1994 Allez Pro.

90's Allez Pros tend to have fastback stays and aluminum forks like the one in the picture. I couldn't find any with internally routed top tube cables like yours has. I thought it might be a repaint of an 80's Allez, but again- none have internally routed cables.

I think yours is a mystery bike with Allez Pro decals.
Likes For Clang:
Old 08-04-22, 05:32 AM
Lman
L-man

Bikes: Co Op cty 1.3 -light touring ~1972 Peugeot OU 8 / 1992? Specialized Allez Shimankestien

Originally Posted by Clang
I think I found where the decals package was from: a 1994 Allez Pro.

90's Allez Pros tend to have fastback stays and aluminum forks like the one in the picture. I couldn't find any with internally routed top tube cables like yours has. I thought it might be a repaint of an 80's Allez, but again- none have internally routed cables.

I think yours is a mystery bike with Allez Pro decals.
Thanks, it is a mystery bike and i cant figure it out other than its a Shimocknstien
Old 08-04-22, 06:30 AM
james89

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Nice looking bike you found!
Likes For james89:
Old 08-04-22, 07:10 AM
Lman
L-man

Originally Posted by james89
Nice looking bike you found!
poor man's find on Facebook market...Danxs
Likes For Lman:
Old 08-09-22, 07:10 AM
Lman
L-man

Originally Posted by Lman
Thanks, it is a mystery bike and i cant figure it out other than its a Shimocknstien
the front forks are steel, rear brake cable runs inside top frame......

Last edited by Lman; 08-09-22 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-09-22, 07:15 AM
Lman
L-man

Age ?

I very much appreciate the feedback help.
several people committed on aluminum front forks....so I checked it out with a magnet and they are steel. Rear brake cable runs inside through top tube . ....any Specialized Allez experts care to guess age ?
Old 08-09-22, 08:08 AM
Lman
L-man

Old 08-09-22, 11:32 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
The serial number may help us to determine the exact year.
Old 08-09-22, 01:47 PM
Lman
L-man

Originally Posted by T-Mar
The serial number may help us to determine the exact year.
of course, I'll post it to night
Old 08-09-22, 04:36 PM
Lman
L-man

of course, I'll post it to night
serial # 1j03174
Would this help determine age of the Allez ?
Old 08-09-22, 06:04 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
serial # 1j03174
Would this help determine age of the Allez ?
As @Clang mentioned above, this isn't an Allez. That's what he meant when he said it's a "mystery bike." Allezs never had an internal top tube cable routing or lugs like that. This bike not made by Specialized that had Allez decals applied to it. @T-Mar may be able to assist now that you've provided a serial number.

By the way, you should check under those pieces of gold tape to make sure there isn't any bad rust or damage to the frame. People often cover up damage with tape or stickers.
Likes For tricky:
Old 08-09-22, 06:28 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
The serial number, in conjuction with the frame features, indicates it was manufactured during 1991, though it could be a 1992 model. The serial number format is consistent with that used by Matsu****a/National, who were best known for their Panasonic brand, though they also perforrmed contract manufacturing for a number of different companies, including SBI.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 08-09-22, 07:14 PM
Lman
L-man

Very interesting, never thought of someone putting different brand decals on a bike to make it more appealing. Thank you for your research. We'll, it has good components.
Old 08-09-22, 10:06 PM
Lman
L-man

Originally Posted by T-Mar
The serial number, in conjuction with the frame features, indicates it was manufactured during 1991, though it could be a 1992 model. The serial number format is consistent with that used by Matsu****a/National, who were best known for their Panasonic brand, though they also perforrmed contract manufacturing for a number of different companies, including SBI.
thank you !!! Yes it looks more like a panasonic Dx 4000.
Old 08-10-22, 06:13 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked 3,546 Times in 1,766 Posts
Very interesting, never thought of someone putting different brand decals on a bike to make it more appealing. Thank you for your research. We'll, it has good components.
The smarter folks have confirmed what I was thinking, but couldn't prove, not an Allez. I have been blown away by how often I have seen bikes impersonating other bikes and the motivations are often hard to figure. I have, what I now know to be, a 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp - I bought it painted and decal-ed as a Pinarello, but for less that Rockhopper money? A few months ago I saw an ad for a "Schwinn LeTour" when I opened the pictures it was painted and labelled as a "Fat Chance" no one would confuse those bikes for each other and it was labelled as what it actually was? Why? There is also some history of what you are talking about - people adding Reynolds decals to gas pipe bikes, claiming random Schwinn's as Paramounts and the apparently widespread "Fake DeRosa" https://www.derosabikes.com.au/pages...ng-fake-frames. My other favorite is bikes just listed as something they are obviously not, like a bike with clear decals that all say TREK listed as "Raleigh bike" It is a strange world we live in.
Likes For SoCaled:
Old 08-10-22, 06:45 PM
Lman
L-man

Originally Posted by SoCaled
The smarter folks have confirmed what I was thinking, but couldn't prove, not an Allez. I have been blown away by how often I have seen bikes impersonating other bikes and the motivations are often hard to figure. I have, what I now know to be, a 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp - I bought it painted and decal-ed as a Pinarello, but for less that Rockhopper money? A few months ago I saw an ad for a "Schwinn LeTour" when I opened the pictures it was painted and labelled as a "Fat Chance" no one would confuse those bikes for each other and it was labelled as what it actually was? Why? There is also some history of what you are talking about - people adding Reynolds decals to gas pipe bikes, claiming random Schwinn's as Paramounts and the apparently widespread "Fake DeRosa" https://www.derosabikes.com.au/pages...ng-fake-frames. My other favorite is bikes just listed as something they are obviously not, like a bike with clear decals that all say TREK listed as "Raleigh bike" It is a strange world we live in.
thank you for sharing....fascinating to hear you speak. Again thanks you for sharing. It's always fun ( for me) to hear the history of purchases,and often the past life.
Old 08-11-22, 03:43 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
@juvela Does your encyclopedic knowledge of lugs include late 80s, early 90s (assuming the frame is from the same era as the unicrown fork)? I have been racking my brain and google without success trying to figure out where these lugs might come from.
Likes For tricky:
Old 08-11-22, 05:28 PM
Lman
L-man

Originally Posted by tricky
@juvela Does your encyclopedic knowledge of lugs include late 80s, early 90s (assuming the frame is from the same era as the unicrown fork)? I have been racking my brain and google without success trying to figure out where these lugs might come from.
**** love a good mystery! 👍 as for my bike, had full tune up done/ maintenance & lubed, and it is the best riding bike I have ever owned, second place being a 1973 Cresent that was my Christmas present in high school.im very appreciative of everyone's input.
So Specialized never had internal routing for the rear brake....I guess I can strip off the fraudulent decals....I'm having a new set printed now that seems appropriate....Shimonkenstien 😆

Last edited by Lman; 08-12-22 at 05:30 AM.