Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

How to paint

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

How to paint

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-22, 10:52 AM
PimpMan

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
How to paint lugs and rims with disk brake?

How i mask lugs to spray paint them like this?

How this is done?!

I tried to pain the fork its way easier pattern than that using Q-Tip and it look pretty bad, bubbly and smeared and mixed with under paint which was different color. I assume will be same if i use paint brush?

How do i mask properly to spray paint like this? I am thinking first paint that whole front section of frame white and then put tiny layer of lithium grease or pressed bread crumbs inside sections i want to protect and paint over with other color on top?

Currently my frame painted and clear applied already, but i want to sand the lugs and spray paint them white

I also want to paint rims same color as frame (currently there are no spokes installed in rims) however i have rim brakes, should i mask that area where brakes engage to the rim or paint on the sides of the rim will get removed soon after use and no need to worry about it?
If i can mask sides of the rims, how i do it evenly?

Last edited by PimpMan; 06-21-22 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-21-22, 11:02 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Tape and a razor blade. Mask off the items you don't want painted the first time, reverse the second time.
Old 06-21-22, 06:46 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
JF's method is a time honored classic way. Except many painters will spray the lighter color with no mask. Then mask for the darker color. Masking tape holds up better then tooth paste or some make shift masks. I have not tired the liquid masking that modelers sometimes use. It's not uncommon to have to do some focused touch up (brush on) before the final top coat of clear.

Masking takes some patience and focus to get the edge consistent. Only removing the masking is more anxiety filled This kind of skill is some of what separates the hobby painters from the pros. Andy
Old 06-23-22, 05:18 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,388 Times in 758 Posts
I've no experience, but will point out that Brian Chapman seems to use both
and
, I suppose depending on the task.

Edit: The above text looks fine when I preview it, but for some reason the forum software decided to insert hard line breaks before and after my links.

Last edited by smontanaro; 06-24-22 at 04:52 AM.