Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Saddle Sore on Stationary Trainer

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 06-19-22, 03:06 AM
tessellahedron

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

My bike and saddle are fairly comfortable on the road but on the stationary trainer I start to get very sore after an hour. I'm debating getting a second, wider saddle with seatpost to swap for trainer use. Another idea is simply adding a seatpost shock absorber for use on road and trainer.

Has anyone had good results with the shock absorber? Anything to know when buying one?

thanks in advance
Old 06-19-22, 05:48 PM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
Same here.

It hasn't solved everything for me, but I put a double layer of foam garage mat under my trainer and raise up my front wheel to get the bike back to level.

I find it's not the extra cushion that I need, but the side-to-side sway. I haven't tried one, but people swear by their rocker plates.
Likes For pennpaul:
Old 06-19-22, 06:25 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
hate to say it, but the thing that solved my problem with butt soreness (tailbone in my case) was a rocker plate with fore-aft motion
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 06-19-22, 06:43 PM
tessellahedron

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've abandoned the suspension seatpost idea and am considering getting a swap out seat or building a rocker.

Good DIY plans anyone?
Old 06-19-22, 07:41 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,170 Times in 682 Posts
ok, my little foray into saddle sores on the trainer was caused by not wearing my usual bike shorts. for the short 1 hour rides i was doing i would wear sweat shorts. they were fine after a week, maybe two, but after a while i was getting sores. not so when riding outside. once i realized it was probably the sweat shorts i when back to bike shorts and the saddle sores went away. case closed for me at least.
Likes For spelger:
Old 06-19-22, 11:14 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
I started out being sore after an hour. Made it a point to stand up to pedal out of the saddle more often, no major issues since. My longest indoor ride was around 12 hours of pedaling time.
Likes For surak:
Old 06-20-22, 06:17 AM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
My longest indoor ride was around 12 hours of pedaling time.
​​​​​

I don't think I've even done 12hrs outside on the road in a day.
Old 06-20-22, 10:55 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
First identify the source of the sores. Is it from the clothing fabric rubbing against your skin? From specific contact points? What worked for me was a Brooks B17 saddle. The fabric slides on the leather, not my skin. And the wider design spreads out the contact area. To be sure, YMMV when it comes to saddles, but, well, that's whats working for me.
Old 06-20-22, 11:30 AM
tessellahedron

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I wear normal underwear and athletic shorts when I ride. Same inside and out. Being on the trainer is definitely different so maybe I need specific biking shorts for that. I tried some padded ones but I think they were too big because they rode up really badly. What do you look for in a good pair?

I like the idea of standing up for a break occasionally. It's completely flat here so I rarely stand on a bike but this morning I tried it outdoors for a couple hundred feet after about 35 minutes of biking. I think it helped. Standing on the trainer felt really awkward but next time I'm on it I'll try again. Thanks for the good idea!
Likes For tessellahedron:
Old 06-20-22, 12:35 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
FWIW, the longer the indoor ride, the more often I'll stand. Upwards of 1 minute standing every 10 minutes. Standing is like eating, it's better to start early in a ride and do it regularly because by the time you start feeling sore, it may be too late.
Old 06-22-22, 08:06 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by tessellahedron
I wear normal underwear and athletic shorts when I ride. Same inside and out. Being on the trainer is definitely different so maybe I need specific biking shorts for that. I tried some padded ones but I think they were too big because they rode up really badly. What do you look for in a good pair?

I like the idea of standing up for a break occasionally. It's completely flat here so I rarely stand on a bike but this morning I tried it outdoors for a couple hundred feet after about 35 minutes of biking. I think it helped. Standing on the trainer felt really awkward but next time I'm on it I'll try again. Thanks for the good idea!
There's the issue! Try a snug-fitting pair of biking shorts with a decent pad. This is a personal as a seat choice, so start with a good brand and go from there. I've had really good luck with the Specialized RBX Pro shorts. Decent price, and very comfortable.
Old 06-23-22, 10:44 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Wider saddle doesn't always make things better. It can make things worse for some. How I avoid saddle soreness on >1 hr trainer rides is doing intervals. Doing the same resistance and same cadence for over one hour is sure recipe for saddle soreness. Low resistance and high cadence spinning have a tendency to cause saddle soreness so you need to break it down into segments.

I usually divide in 20 minute intervals or less. 20 minutes high cadence spinning on low resistance, followed by 20 minutes lower cadence at higher resistance, and repeat if you wish to train for longer period. You can also stand from time to time going several pedal revolutions before sitting back.

Also no underwear. At least I don't wear one when training or riding. Seems to cause chaffing and I like to feel as ventilated and cooled as possible.
Old 06-24-22, 06:28 PM
Ed Wiser

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
Cycling shorts and a proper bike seat is very important indoors. As you tend to sit in the same position for a long time. I use a Saris rocker plate for my Kickr bike. But start with the right clothes and a bike seat the supports your sit bones.
Likes For Ed Wiser: