Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

what do you think?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-22, 04:13 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
a couple videos of one of the rides in our weekly rotation

most of my rides on these trails were in the dark - truly exhilarating

15 mph in the dark feels like 35 mph !

Old 06-22-22, 04:21 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,051 Times in 1,173 Posts
I found it funny that when I described my new Specialized mt. bike, I mentioned to my local mt. bike club FB page that I had removed the dropper seatpost. I got a bunch of critical comments about it and I patiently explained that I've been mt. biking 33 years, since I was 34 and learned how to descend way back before droppers, that I was more comfortable not using one, and that I was not riding technically difficult trails at age 67 that would need one. I cannot explain to my wife any longer why I am getting hurt. Shes tired of it.
Old 06-22-22, 04:39 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8264 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
I drive to some of the riding areas in Southern California. One of the great ones is 45 miles from home but I only go there a couple times per year. I can ride from home and do dirt roads or just ride in the river bottom/equestrian area. Today I rode some easy stuff for a few hours.

I'm mostly a road rider and I drive to most of my road rides, usually with one of the local road clubs. But cruising around the dirt is a whole different thing. Just the fact that there are no cars makes it relaxing.

Last edited by big john; 06-22-22 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-24-22, 11:39 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
if you do decide to give it a try - and find something / somewhere to ride off road

maybe you can first find an inexpensive MTB - even something old / vintage / rigid ... just to give it a try

( and make sure the bike is sized properly - often a smaller size bike is recommended for off road use )
Hate to disagree, but the last thing I would buy is an old 26er. I would recommend that you find a place where you can rent a modern mtb, drive to a trailhead, and see if you like it.

You should at least try it. Start with beginner trails and see how it goes. It is really nice to be able to ride without the cars or congestion.

As for driving to a trail, I have never ridden either of my mtb’s to a trail. I put them in the back of my van to get there. They are just not setup for the any distance on the road. And riding slowly for 30-45 minutes in traffic just to get away from traffic makes no sense to me.

John
Old 06-26-22, 07:41 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8264 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Sugar River State Trail Mountain Bike Trail, Brodhead, Wisconsin (mtbproject.com)