Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Coffee: Stay alive AND feel more alive

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Coffee: Stay alive AND feel more alive

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-22, 05:00 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Hinault said to drink red wine.
He's French, so hardly a surprise!
Old 06-26-22, 08:16 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Hinault said to drink red wine.

GCN used a flawed protocol.
They found beer hinders recovery. While there's carbs in beer (carbs is always good for recovery), the alcohol content had negative effect in the muscles and offsets the benefit of carbs in the beer.

Light beer maybe. Non-alcoholic even better. As for me, I mix small amount of beer with other beverage like soda pop or chocolate. Sometimes, I use red wine and chocolate but I like beer more.

But now, I hardly drink any alcohol at all. Even in tiny amounts, it screws up my morning energy.
Likes For koala logs:
Old 06-27-22, 08:43 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs
They found beer hinders recovery. While there's carbs in beer (carbs is always good for recovery), the alcohol content had negative effect in the muscles and offsets the benefit of carbs in the beer.

Light beer maybe. Non-alcoholic even better. As for me, I mix small amount of beer with other beverage like soda pop or chocolate. Sometimes, I use red wine and chocolate but I like beer more.

But now, I hardly drink any alcohol at all. Even in tiny amounts, it screws up my morning energy.
I was being facetious, beer is a very, very serious topic for some.

If you want to see the effect of alcohol, it is easy to see on morning heart rate variability or at least for me. I think it is pretty clear that even small amounts of alcohol impair performance.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 06-27-22, 06:59 PM
koala logs
Banned.

I was being facetious, beer is a very, very serious topic for some.

If you want to see the effect of alcohol, it is easy to see on morning heart rate variability or at least for me. I think it is pretty clear that even small amounts of alcohol impair performance.
Unfortunately for me, beer is my only "feel good" drink. Coffee gives me withdrawal side effects. Beer has none or maybe because I only drink very small, diluted amounts.
Old 06-29-22, 09:55 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,633 Times in 944 Posts
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...inued-research

No pay here. Looks similar.
Old 08-17-22, 07:55 PM
ErinKeegan

Bikes: Triban RC120 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Cool! I bought a coffee maker recently for a good reason. I'll wait until the wine starts to prolong the life
Old 08-17-22, 09:25 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Ah, the usual reportage from the media.
Scientists don’t know exactly what makes coffee so beneficial, Dr. Goldberg said, but the answer may lie in its antioxidant properties, which can prevent or delay cell damage.
Too bad, because actually scientists who bother to study coffee's effects have a pretty good idea.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6811484/
and also see why endurance athletes drink it and use caffeine
https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/arti...70-020-00400-6

Caffeine increases metabolic rate which feels like more energy and at the same time that increased metabolic rate is fueled by the oxidation of fatty acids. So you feel stronger and you burn more fat. That takes some load off your glycolytic system, so you burn a little less glycogen and don't have to eat quite as many carbs.

I seriously doubt that staying away from caffeine before an event will make a measurable metabolic difference. For sure though, you'd notice the return of the higher metabolic rate, which might make you feel better. I've tried it both ways and didn't notice any difference at all, though for sure I notice the presence or absence of caffeine in terms of performance, maybe not watts so much as just the ability to keep on truckin'. I vastly prefer the caffeinated state.

As far as the beer issue goes, it's pretty obvious that most folks who train hard do better without alcohol. That said, after a killer group ride, nothing kills the pain in my legs better than a pint of lager.
Old 08-17-22, 11:53 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Ah, the usual reportage from the media.

Too bad, because actually scientists who bother to study coffee's effects have a pretty good idea.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6811484/
and also see why endurance athletes drink it and use caffeine
https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/arti...70-020-00400-6

Caffeine increases metabolic rate which feels like more energy and at the same time that increased metabolic rate is fueled by the oxidation of fatty acids. So you feel stronger and you burn more fat. That takes some load off your glycolytic system, so you burn a little less glycogen and don't have to eat quite as many carbs.

I seriously doubt that staying away from caffeine before an event will make a measurable metabolic difference. For sure though, you'd notice the return of the higher metabolic rate, which might make you feel better. I've tried it both ways and didn't notice any difference at all, though for sure I notice the presence or absence of caffeine in terms of performance, maybe not watts so much as just the ability to keep on truckin'. I vastly prefer the caffeinated state.

As far as the beer issue goes, it's pretty obvious that most folks who train hard do better without alcohol. That said, after a killer group ride, nothing kills the pain in my legs better than a pint of lager.
If only caffeine did not lead to "dependency" I would have been drinking coffee too. The main problem is the body develops resistance to caffeine so you'll need more dosage over time.

And when the body is out of caffeine, you'll be more lethargic than someone who never drank coffee. Worse for me, I get throbbing headaches too.

Fortunately, long after I have quit caffeine, I get similar effect from sugar alone as other people get from coffee like helping to stay awake at night rushing some work.
Old 08-18-22, 07:15 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs
If only caffeine did not lead to "dependency" I would have been drinking coffee too. The main problem is the body develops resistance to caffeine so you'll need more dosage over time.

And when the body is out of caffeine, you'll be more lethargic than someone who never drank coffee. Worse for me, I get throbbing headaches too.

Fortunately, long after I have quit caffeine, I get similar effect from sugar alone as other people get from coffee like helping to stay awake at night rushing some work.
Everyone's different. I don't have any of those issues. I drink it regularly, but don't "need" a cup. I fee fine as long as my nutrition is OK. Coffee does tend to hide nutrition errors because of the extra fatty acid oxidation. I don't get headaches, either. Might be the same issue. Sugar is similar in that it raises blood sugar, but sugar has a nasty drop-off. I never do that. If my BS feels low, I have a handful of walnuts or a piece of cheese. Slower, but no nasty. I finally figured that out a few years ago.
Old 08-19-22, 08:29 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Everyone's different. I don't have any of those issues. I drink it regularly, but don't "need" a cup. I fee fine as long as my nutrition is OK. Coffee does tend to hide nutrition errors because of the extra fatty acid oxidation. I don't get headaches, either. Might be the same issue. Sugar is similar in that it raises blood sugar, but sugar has a nasty drop-off. I never do that. If my BS feels low, I have a handful of walnuts or a piece of cheese. Slower, but no nasty. I finally figured that out a few years ago.
Everyone is different. It does make discussion difficult when people make blanket statements of stuff they've read in studies and apply those statements to all.

Like you, I too don't seem to be addicted to caffeine. And coffee is my only significant source of caffeine. I sometimes will quit drinking it for months and don't seem to see any of the effects others tout.
Likes For Iride01: