Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Race Pace Bikes Sold to Trek

Search
Notices
Mid-Atlantic Pennsylvania | Maryland | DC | Delaware | West Virginia | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-22, 05:22 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts

Over the years I've found "go to" bike shops that were reliable and knowledgeable and stuck with them for years. Invariably the owners retire and usually the bike shop just shuts down.

For the past 5 years or so Race Pace (several locations in Baltimore/Columbia MD) has been my go to shop. The owner Alex was hands on, did a lot of biking and valued customer service over milking out the last few pennies on everything. Prices weren't cheap, but quality and service was always high.

Alex is retiring and Trek is buying the Race Pace chain. Not necessarily a bad thing - Trek bought one I used occasionally in Northern VA and no degradation in service - and turns out Trek owns something like 1700 independently run bike shops in North America. I guess some financial backing is really a plus in pandemic times.

Over the pandemic, two new bike shops opened even closer to me than Race Pace is - I guess the flip side of the supply chain problems for bikes and bike parts is the vastly increased demand for bikes and services!
Old 01-05-22, 05:39 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
Over the years I've found "go to" bike shops that were reliable and knowledgeable and stuck with them for years. Invariably the owners retire and usually the bike shop just shuts down.

For the past 5 years or so Race Pace (several locations in Baltimore/Columbia MD) has been my go to shop. The owner Alex was hands on, did a lot of biking and valued customer service over milking out the last few pennies on everything. Prices weren't cheap, but quality and service was always high.

Alex is retiring and Trek is buying the Race Pace chain. Not necessarily a bad thing - Trek bought one I used occasionally in Northern VA and no degradation in service - and turns out Trek owns something like 1700 independently run bike shops in North America. I guess some financial backing is really a plus in pandemic times.

Over the pandemic, two new bike shops opened even closer to me than Race Pace is - I guess the flip side of the supply chain problems for bikes and bike parts is the vastly increased demand for bikes and services!
Alex is a great guy and was always a pleasure to talk to. I was already working in a bike shop in Baltimore when Alex started his bike business in a little hole-in-the-wall shop in Woodlawn. He once mentioned to me that before he rented that first building, he had come close to starting a business painting lines in parking lots instead. Knowing what I do about how hard it is to make a living in the bike business, I have no doubt that he occasionally regretted that decision.
Old 01-05-22, 03:41 PM
Phatman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 51 Posts
Wow! I used to work at the Columbia store back in 2005, Alex was a hardass as a boss (gotta make sure the gloves are arranged correctly!) but a great guy. I don't live in the area anymore but my parents still do, I should stop by next time. So are all of the locations going to be Trek Stores?
Old 01-08-22, 05:59 AM
jpescatore

The email didn't mention closing any stores, or any stores not being owned by Trek, so I assume the answer is all will be owned by Trek.

I once had two two touring cyclists stay with me a few nights and their bikes needed some work. The Laytonsville shop near me said too busy, Alex said "Sure, we always put touring cyclists coming through at the top of the line - that is an old bike shop tradition. Bring 'em in." Did so and he chatted them up about touring adventures and got a service tech on their bikes right away.
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 01-09-22, 04:48 AM
DocJames
Observational Theorist

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
- and turns out Trek owns something like 1700 independently run bike shops in North America. I guess some financial backing is really a plus in pandemic times.
They're 100% CORPORATE stores. Diametrically opposite "independently run." There's a reason they only stock Trek/Bontrager bikes and accessories. Sure like anything else, they each have their own GM, but believe me, they have strict marching orders from corporate on how things are to be done, right down to the physical display layout.
Old 01-11-22, 11:41 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Eh. They are like most Bike Shops to me. I guess they are OK. I still prefer REI. No wonder a lot of REI's inventory has dwindled while bike shops still have plenty. (Yes, I know many bikes are not available)
Old 01-19-22, 05:26 AM
Alibec

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rei are much better, at least they don't have the "corporate mentality"
Old 01-29-22, 01:10 PM
StarBiker

I wonder if there are any sales on non Trek Bikes? I should check.
Old 02-03-22, 04:16 PM
StarBiker

Sales, but nothing that good. Nothing I wanted.
They will shut down from March 1st - 3rd for the transition.
Old 02-03-22, 04:26 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,056 Times in 3,809 Posts
In my area, there is an LBS that has been a Trek dealer for as long as I can remember (I started riding seriously in the early-'90s). Good place, run by good people. Last year, Trek opened a corporate shop in the same city, less than 3 miles away, in the location of a failed Performance Bike shop. It's a kick in the teeth to the independent LBS.
Old 02-03-22, 05:28 PM
DocJames
Observational Theorist

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
In my area, there is an LBS that has been a Trek dealer for as long as I can remember (I started riding seriously in the early-'90s). Good place, run by good people. Last year, Trek opened a corporate shop in the same city, less than 3 miles away, in the location of a failed Performance Bike shop. It's a kick in the teeth to the independent LBS.
Yeah that's cold blooded!
Old 02-04-22, 06:46 AM
jpescatore

Trek said they were ending the Race Pace Dollars reward program. I had $25 in credit, so went over to the Columbia shop. All Continental tires were 20% off and they had the 32mm GP5000s I've been having trouble finding. So, between the discount and the 20%, got one for what the online sale prices used to be before the pandemic slammed into the supply chain.

I imagine they will be increasing Bontrager tire shelf space, reducing other vendors. Pretty good assortment of new bikes for sale in the shop.

Last edited by jpescatore; 02-04-22 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-04-22, 12:54 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I think Trek has glommed on to how much profit they make on all the accessories and by buying the stores they can squeeze out all the brands not theirs. I know that Joe's (couple bike shops in Baltimore) stopped dealing Treks due to their ever-increasing requirements on shelf space for their shoes gloves wheels tires etc.

I would not be too surprised if Conti tires got squeezed out of the Race Pace lineup, get 'em while you can!
Old 07-07-22, 12:38 PM
VeryGoodDog

Bikes: 2022 Rockhopper Expert, Really Old Bianchi single-speed

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i miss race pace so much, the new trek stores are nice n all, but they have a smaller, less expansive inventory which is disappointing. theres a local bike shop call pedal fun thats independent, but theyre pretty small. its on york a few miles north of the county line right in the middle of the neighborhood so its pretty convenient.
Old 07-09-22, 04:37 PM
StarBiker

^
Near the old Caldor across from what was the Golden Arm, and movie theater? Is it called "Near The Hood For Everybody Bikes? If not sounds like a good name.

Stoneleigh.

What happened to the good ole' days when bike shops were in old Log Cabins, and just a pedal ride away for a 10 year old kid.........

Last edited by StarBiker; 07-10-22 at 10:28 AM.