Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Steel '92 vs CF '22 performance test you've been waiting for

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Steel '92 vs CF '22 performance test you've been waiting for

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-22, 01:24 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Yeah, but I feel like we've pretty well established that the guys at GCN are basically clowns. (For the record, I love GCN. I just don't take their stuff like this seriously.)
What, you don't think experiments with uncontrolled variables and an 'n' of one are really rigorous? Say it ain't so!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-13-22, 01:33 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
This soul everyone is speaking of doesn't exist in the bike or the rider, but rather in the interface between the two. Without one or the other, the magic can't happen.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 07-13-22, 04:07 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Low-invisibility yellow
Well, there you go.
Old 07-13-22, 04:49 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
On my coasting-down-the-hill test, I was topping out around 55 KMH (35 MPH). It's not a typical speed for my riding most of the time, but coasting down a steep hill I can hit it pretty quickly. Even with the pros, the kinds of aerodynamic improvements they're finding in wind tunnels seem to only give them on the order of 30 seconds over a 20 minute TT. Of course, they don't need someone at the start of the test suggesting that maybe they should take off the flappy jacket. On the other hand, when I'm riding to work with an average speed around 15 mph, the jacket probably doesn't slow me down a whole lot.
It is also your position on the bike. I bet that an upright position will negate all "bike' aero gains.
Old 07-13-22, 06:59 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 2,513 Times in 1,051 Posts
I think the real take-away from this particular comparison (and most of them) is that the engine matters more than anything else. At the uppermost levels of the sport (the pro racers), the relatively small differences between aerodynamics, rolling resistance, etc., can make a significant difference in outcomes because the top racers are so close in overall performance. For the rest of us - not so much. At our level, it comes down to what feels best to each individual - what floats our respective boats. We aren't going to be appreciably faster (or in my case, appreciably less slow) on any top drawer bike from any era that (1) fits and (2) we have had time to get used to.

As for bikes having soul, some do, some don't. Which is which is a purely subjective thing, and there will always be disagreements. The bike I think is possessed by angels will feel like it has four legs and barks to somebody out there, and vice versa. For example, some folks rave about Miyatas; the one I had from the early 1990s felt dead and lifeless to me. This is the very essence of YMMV. If you find a bike that you think has soul, ride it like you stole it and don't worry about convincing anyone else. If that Cinelli SC feels bad to you, don't let anyone tell you it's the bee's knees (although I, for one, still might try). Ride what you like. Don't ride what you don't like. You can and probably should listen to others to determine what might be worth your while to try out, but it's up to you, having tried it, to determine whether that machine is right for you, and make no apologies for what your body tells you.

/sermon.
Old 07-13-22, 11:28 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by bamboobike4
Holy cow, thanks for that info. Were I to go Di2, I'd be all over that, and someday, likely will be. You just made my day.
Now, how to put that 9200 on my steel Colnago? RiddleOfSteel.....?
You can do it! I'm working on 11-speed Di2 at the moment. Aaaannny day now, I'll get it off the back burner and pick up the remaining wiring and battery to put on an as-yet unnamed project...
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 07-14-22, 03:17 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
It is looking at how much racing bikes have evolved in 30 years.
Unfortunately, after several of those videos, the knowldge gain is still stuck on "oh my god toestraps!!!1!!!"
Old 07-14-22, 05:08 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
It would have been nice to have the same tires and gear range.
Likes For Narhay:
Old 07-15-22, 01:18 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
That and a semblance of ergonomic setup. Those bars dive so steeply, and then are coupled with angled up and short-body STIs. That's massively uncomfortable and minute zero, not to mention during or at the end of a ride.
Old 07-15-22, 09:19 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Narhay
But, again, that would not have been testing a classic race bike from 1992 against one from today. The 1992 bike as equipped was perfectly representative of top-end bikes of that time. Give it modern wide tires and gear range, and you're doing a different comparison.

For that matter, why not hobble the modern bike with skinny tires and a corncob cassette? Because that's not what the test is about.

Old 07-15-22, 09:28 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
That and a semblance of ergonomic setup. Those bars dive so steeply, and then are coupled with angled up and short-body STIs. That's massively uncomfortable and minute zero, not to mention during or at the end of a ride.
The bike apparently belongs to the guy who did the test and wrote the article, and AFAICT it's set up pretty much like it would have been in 1992, ergonomically.

It's really funny to me the sheer volume of "Yeah, but..." posts on this thread. Take the test for what it is - a test of entire bikes, each set up as they would be in their era. Deviate from that, and it's a different test.

BTW, I did something like this test over the last few months. I got a 1995 Litespeed Ultimate frame, and built it up with Dura Ace 7410, and rode it for about 750 miles that way. Then I stripped it down and built it up with R8000 Ultegra, and have been riding that for 500 miles. I loved the 7410 build, but, honestly, for me the Ultegra build is better - better shifting, more gears, better ergonomics (even though I LOVE the 7400 STIs) and the modern wheels with fewer, and bladed spokes are more aero.

Old 07-15-22, 09:30 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Reasonably fair.
there were wider range cassettes in 1992
no mention about the feel of the closer ratios available on the TT course.

be interesting to see what aero rims, even with 32 spokes would have contributed.

if I was racing still I would have close to the latest and greatest. Probably discs too.
although I think that a rim brake in back would be less fussy. Discs do provide better modulation, no doubt about it.
Yes, for added equalization, similar wheels, similar gearing range (with suitable derailleur changes, such as for a 50/34, perhaps). The rider might be powerful enough to feel the lack of a 52 versus the 50 ... but this is just speculation. Also get the ride position aero to be more similar. With a 14 second difference, equalize more and see if the true difference between frame technologies can be discerned. What we see here is that the differences in bicycle design are nearly insignificant.

It also looks like this was a one-trial test. What about the rider doing some other courses, or having results from other similarly-talented riders.

It would be interesting to see this modified into more of a frame technology comparo, as well.
Old 07-15-22, 09:35 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Yeah, but I feel like we've pretty well established that the guys at GCN are basically clowns. (For the record, I love GCN. I just don't take their stuff like this seriously.)
I like them, too.
The real question: Are they making a living doing something they enjoy?
If so, they win.
Old 07-15-22, 09:49 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by bamboobike4
I like them, too.
The real question: Are they making a living doing something they enjoy?
If so, they win.
This.
Old 07-16-22, 12:23 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 2,513 Times in 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Take the test for what it is - a test of entire bikes, each set up as they would be in their era. Deviate from that, and it's a different test.
I agree. Personally, I'd be interested in a test that focuses on the two frames. meaning set 'em both up with similar gearing, similar tires/wheels, and similar cockpit, i.e. remove some of the non-frame variables. But that would be a different comparison than what this test was about: top-end Colnago c.2022 vs. top-end Colnago c.1992, which is a fun lark, too. How instructive is it? Who cares, it's all in fun.
Old 07-16-22, 12:29 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
As a lifelong metalworker not sure what this mystical soul people are talking about. Especially with what would be considered a mass produced bicycle. Even the most artistic photographs of Colnago’s shop shows stacks of frames laying about welded by low paid minions in the background. Further evidenced by the thousands of them around the world, every group ride or criterium race in the late 70’s early 80’s effectively consisted of these Italian bikes, even in Podunk Idaho. Having spent decades as a precision machinist and tool maker there is nothing special about a bicycle frame, lugged, filet brazed or tig welded. That is why you see most frame builders are home taught hobbyists without any formal training, mitre some readily available tubes, joined them, be careful not to overheat use a jig, align afterwards, done. Take a look at the frame-builder thread and you quickly see its really not so mysterious. There is as much marketing BS in an Italian steel frame as there is in a new S-Works. Don’t even get me started on the ultimate scam, Titanium!
i doubt there was much welding done at Colnagos in the 80ies
You are not wrong there and that is why i stay away from the products of the larger big marques like Colnago, Bianchi etc of a certain era. these are factory products sold with a lot of bla bla.
"home taught hobbyists" may be true in your corner of the world, places like italy do have "vocational training" for that kind of profession, which typically is ~3 years both in the shop and in school. getting the title " Master", which has been the prerequisite to open your own shop until not so long ago, requires 5 years experience working in the craft after that 3 year training before you can apply, then again theory training etc and a hefty exam, takes around 1-2 years for most.
this guarantees that everyone working in the trade has a good well-rounded skillset in all parts of the craft, not just the bit of it the guy who showed you the ropes was good at (or thought he was).

now some have done all that, like hundreds of their peers, *then* went on to build a reputation to be so good at what they did that good riders and big teams came to them. Some very few went even further, invented, experimented, improved. if i get a bike from one of those who stayed small enough to still touch every bike that leaves his shop, i get a bit of that. i may not notice it when i ride it, but i like to think that is because evefythinbg is just done right
Old 07-16-22, 05:40 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
Sorta along the lines of the fun I had with all my bikes proving they're pretty all just as capable and it's more the rider than the bike, age, material, groupset, etc.....

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ce-game-5.html

All capable of running the 19 mph avg under me.
Old 07-16-22, 06:26 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 2,782 Times in 531 Posts
The performance differences seem minimal and I just cant help feeling the C68 is a massive waste of money at $15,000, or even $10,000 or even $7000. The Master is by far the nicer looking bike now, and I'm sure that in 20, 30, 40 and 50 years from now it will still be the nicer looking bike, and I'd wager that a good condition Master will be worth more than good condition C68 in all those future years too, so I don't now why anyone would bother with the newer one, especially considering the C68 is going to be subject to massive depreciation whereas the Master is likely to hold or even increase in value, so is a much better investment too.

Whether it be real or perceived I imagine the Master was made by a man with a beard in an oily workshop with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth, old Pirelli calendars on the wall, and him and his work colleagues bunk off work early to go for ride and sample the wares of a few local vineyards. People lap that up and want to buy into it, just look at the worldwide appeal of L'eroica events.

Whether it be real or perceived the C68 is likely designed by a computer, and like nearly all modern carbon frames I imagine is poured into a mould by a machine, or by a child worker in China doing 12 hour days, 6 days a week. The over worked and underpaid workers are likely too tired to ride much, and they will definitely never themselves be able to afford the machines they are working on, and even sadder will likely never even get the chance to ride one. There is no romance or soul in this, only heartbreak. And this definitely contributes to the fact that in 20 years or 50 years from now the C68 will be worth buttons, and people will still want a shiny Master.

Last edited by botty kayer; 07-16-22 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-16-22, 07:15 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Sorta along the lines of the fun I had with all my bikes proving they're pretty all just as capable and it's more the rider than the bike, age, material, groupset, etc.....

That is pretty impressive but you need to get that Azor up to speed! (:
Old 07-16-22, 07:33 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
That is pretty impressive but you need to get that Azor up to speed! (:
LOL, I'll get right on that!

I actually was thinking this spring about putting toe clip equipped pedals on it and giving it a try. I figured with 8 gears it would probably let me beat the effort I did on the Guv'nor where I just couldn't find the right gear most times. And then I I came to my senses.

I am going to put the tubular setup back on the Team USA sometime and give it a go at making the "club" I see no reason it can't pull off those speeds either really.
Old 07-16-22, 09:57 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by jamesdak

Ah, yes. I remember this. I was feeling inadequate, because my best was 18.8 mph on the Canyon, then I looked and say your route has <500 feet of climbing while mine had >1200 in much the same distance. But you inspire me to try flogging the Canyon a bit harder to see if I can crack 19 mph for my route. Hopefully there's a windless afternoon next week.

EDIT: In my case, there's a 0.9 mph difference between my fastest and slowest bikes.