Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Myth: You can't lose weight by exercise alone

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Myth: You can't lose weight by exercise alone

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-22, 10:27 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs
Introducing a significant amount of oatmeal into your diet somewhat solves that problem.

Oatmeal is quite filling and takes away hunger quite effectively but since it's low calories, you are likely to lose weight even if you are "eating on demand" with exercise.

Worked for me. I don't monitor my calories burned / intake. Just eating oatmeal in between meals to kill food cravings. Got my weight down from 138 lbs to 125 lbs in just 3 months and seemed to have leveled at 125 lbs with BMI of 19.6.
Again, just stating something you imagine, is not necessarily real.
I like Oatmeal, eat it often, find it good for days when a hard ride starts early, because it works thru my digestive,smoothly...
But not low calorie (compared to other 'real' foods).
https://foodstruct.com/compare/rice-vs-oatmeal
"Rice is higher in calories, carbs, richer in vitamins B5 and folate. However, rice is more versatile in gastronomy and a cheaper grain. On the other hand, oatmeal is richer in most minerals and vitamins, and overall, is a healthier alternative than rice with more benefits".

Also, type of Oats will vary caloric values:

Oats - nutrition values - courtesy Bob's Red Mill

Re many other assorted posts - arguing exercise vs diet ( as a person's regularly consumed food and drink) , given the the current database of all things nutritional, seems counter evidence.
You can exercise to extreme, and not get to your 'optimum' state. You can diet to extreme and lose weight, but again, is it the result good, optimum, healthy?
Are you eating/doing things to be allround healthy for each stage of your life? Are you doing things to accomplish a specific goal? Could be 2 very different things.
If you work in 'Landscape/Tree Service', you're requirements are different from someone in IT.
One type of food/nutrition, on it's own, is not a workable, sustainable solution.
And before we accept a tag, like 'Hormones', let's get the obvious issues out of the equation - eat balanced and eat for the person you think is your optimum self... If that's a 160 lb Guy with a certain level of muscle, then eat and exercise for that person.
I still fight 'eating' demons every day, at times in past was a longer term failure. My 'stubbornness' however has saved my bacon, in many situations.
"Weakness" is an uphill, lifetime battle.
Nutrition is the foundation - exercise is part of what you build on the foundation. One, by itself, never builds the entire structure.
Ride On
Yuri