Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Bike shop recommendations in DC

Notices
Mid-Atlantic Pennsylvania | Maryland | DC | Delaware | West Virginia | Virginia

Old 07-19-22, 10:00 PM
jaybike

Bikes: A Bianchi, Fuji Royale, Trek 715, and Benotto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all!
I just started getting into cycling and wanted to see what recommendations you might have for bike shops around DC. It seems that some of the "bigger" shops have varying levels of satisfaction (Conte's, City Bikes, REI, etc.). There are a few mobile bike repair folks who seem to get good reviews as well. I wanted to see where you go for tune-ups and repairs. Thanks.
Old 07-21-22, 04:41 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I live in NE Montgomery County MD and my goto bike shop has been RacePace in Columbia MD - it was bought by Trek and is now Trek Bicycles Columbia. I've had nothing but good experiences with RacePace, but haven't had to go in since Trek bought it.

My daughter, who lives in Vienna, gave me a gift certificate to Conte in Falls Church, so I used them for tuneup of my gravel bike and my wife's bike - it worked out fine and they seemed to know what they were doing.

John P.
Old 07-21-22, 05:02 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
REI gives you a year return policy as long as you have a membership (And a 10% yearly dividend you can use on a purchase a year later)........The DC REI is much bigger than the one near me in Timonium.

The DC store has much more inventory, and is three floors.

Race Pace when it was in Towson was catering to the I want to buy a thousand dollar plus bike buyer, and Trek is probably doing the same. (Not that most new quality bikes aren't in that price range, they are)

My experiences with private shops is marginal, and I am sure there are good private shops, but it's tough to compete with REI.

My only problem with REI is they still need more of a selection, but the DC store is one of their best performers.
Old 07-27-22, 03:55 PM
jaybike

Bikes: A Bianchi, Fuji Royale, Trek 715, and Benotto

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the recs!
Old 07-27-22, 04:24 PM
StarBiker

The Timonium store honored a damaged frame bike that was three years old purchased new at their store. It was clearly a quality issue and they customer got a new bike from REI. I think it was one of the last Novaro bikes, and the customer got a Salsa. This was 2019.

You just can't beat their costumer service, and yearly dividend........
Old 09-27-22, 07:08 AM
WongaTaa

Bikes: Raleigh Competition 1973

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
For repairs and tune-ups, my go-to place is Papillon on Columbia Pike in Arlington. Adept in 21st and (thankfully for me) 20th century equipment. Free parking lot next door. Everything you'd want in an independent shop, except, sadly, the pet dog passed away recently due to old age.
Old 10-01-22, 11:20 AM
kgharris

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bike space in Adam's Morgan used to be my favorite. They also have an Ivy City location that I would guess is good. Bikenetic in Falls Church is a great independent shop where I've had good experiences.
Old 10-05-22, 07:40 AM
StarBiker

Again, what's the return policy. If you want a bike worked on that's one thing, but if you wan't to buy new that's another.

I was told by the local REI Mechanic that the DC store is the second busiest store in the country behind Seattle.

DC would be a great place to look for a deal on a bike. Some good deals once in a while down there. Better be fast.

Now if I can only get this 5 day rain storm to stop. Crazy weather.
Old 12-16-22, 09:01 PM
morsetaper2

Bikes: 2000 Cervelo Prodigy, 2004 Kona Unit SS, 2005 Santa Cruz Blur, 2012 Trek 7.5FX, 1992 Trek 750

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Kinda far out from DC, but I'd have to recomend the LBS here in Laytonsville, MD. JRABS Bicycle Shop. Not a big operation, their online store prices are very competitive. I can order things and not pay shipping if I PU in the store. I service my own bikes so can't comment on their service, but others who do get their bikes serviced are complimentary about their work. The owner is very knowledgeable about obscure parts and bits to keep my older bikes rolling.