Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Foot pain

Old 08-08-22, 08:41 PM
ClydeRoad

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6 Apex, 1985 Raleigh Marathon, 2008 Cannondale Trail SL3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Foot pain

Was wondering if anyone else was having foot pain like I’ve been getting. For the last couple years I’ve been getting foot pain on my rides on either of my road bikes (2012 Cdale Synapse & ‘85 Raleigh Marathon). It’s not hot foot, I call it vise foot. It fees like my foot is in a vise especially my pinkie toes. It seems to be occurring on shorter and shorter rides. I’ve played around with my saddle, moving it up or bake, raising the nose “lowering the nose, etc and nothing seems to help. I’m a pretty big guy and Brooks b17s are my go to for the width.

I checked my wife’s old anatomy books and it looks like the nerves that control the outer toes run through the saddle area so that’s my hunch but I can’t seem to fox the problem.

Anyone have the same thing and we’re you able to fix the problem?
Old 08-08-22, 10:35 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
What type of shoe and pedal are ya using?
Old 08-09-22, 07:56 AM
ClydeRoad

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6 Apex, 1985 Raleigh Marathon, 2008 Cannondale Trail SL3

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Use spd-sl pedals and shimano shoes, don’t remember the model but they’re nothing special.
Old 08-09-22, 10:00 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Are the shoes a tad too snug in the width? That'll make for issues, particularly the longer the ride is. At least until your feet get so numb you don't care anymore. But usually that is after they've given you the most pain you can possibly stand for 10 or so miles.

Many bike shoe manufacturers don't even sell differing widths. However all of them have their own idea how wide their typical customers feet are. So try different brands. Some are known to run wide others narrow.

Brooks makes a cycling shoe?

Last edited by Iride01; 08-09-22 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-09-22, 10:21 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,916 Times in 2,547 Posts
My thought here was also the shoe. My feet have issues with my foot sliding forward and jamming my toes into the toe box, stumping toenail growth. I try out new cycling shoes by standing at the checkout counter with my toes pointed, leaning over the counter, Does that feel good? (I ride toes down nearly all the time and especially while standing.)

I'm guessing my issue isn't yours. But feet and shoes vary a lot. Finding the right shoe for your feet could make a world of difference. (For me, the cheap (now ~$110) Lake shoes are "the fit". I keep thinking I should try the better Lakes, but every ride I get reminded that hose cheap ones simply work. (And are far better, both on the bike and after, than my far more expensive "good shoes".)
Old 08-09-22, 06:44 PM
ClydeRoad

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I suppose it could be the shoes although I never thought that was the culprit.

I’ve noticed on rides l where I’m out of the saddle more the pain doesn’t progress as quickly and get as bad overall which leads me to think it may be a saddle/fit issue.
Old 08-10-22, 01:41 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Is your saddle too low then? Not sure that makes sense for the issue.

Maybe it's just when seated you are holding your foot funny in the shoes or pushing on the pedal more with the outside of your foot. Try feeling what part of your foot is actually pressing first on the pedal.

I push slightly more with the big toe side of my foot than the little toe side of my foot.
Old 08-10-22, 10:22 PM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Sorry you are having issues while cycling.

More detail would help. Did you just start cycling two years ago or had you been cycling without pain previously? Are you the same weight and in the same physical condition as two years ago when this issue first started?

You could try rechecking your bike fit from scratch. Also, check your shoe fit, pedal alignment and float to see if that makes a difference.

But, what you are describing sounds more like a symptom of some undiagnosed medical condition that has gotten worse over time. You should discuss this with your doctor to rule out or identify and address any underlying medical problems.

I hope you get this sorted out and can get back to enjoying cycling!
Old 08-11-22, 09:59 AM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
These helped me...no affiliation.

https://www.bikefit.com/p-7-8-pack-l...at-wedges.aspx
Old 08-11-22, 12:26 PM
ClydeRoad

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I had always thought it was a nerve impingement issue partly because it felt like really painful pins and needles like if your foot falls asleep.

I’ve been cycling to varying degrees now for about a decade and it seems like only the last two years really has it been an issue. Same bike same shoes, etc. I wouldn’t say I’m in grossly worse or better shape either.

I do have a tendency to wear out the outside edges of my shoes when walking so maybe it’s more of a shoe issue than I ever thought. I may try out those bikefit wedges, it’s at least a cheap solution to try before I go down the road of buying different shoes, saddles, paying for a bike fit, etc.